Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 PM

7 posts, read 41,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I have mixed feelings about welfare. On one hand I do believe that a highly civilized society will care about its most vulnerable citizens, but on the other I feel like people sometimes become too complacent with their financial situation and don't want to help themselves. It's hard to hard to make such programs work when they become an "inheritance" that's passed on over generations. There needs to be a change of mentality, otherwise, those arguing for the dismantlement of such programs as government spending waste will likely sway public opinion in the future.

OP the right thing for you to to do is to stay living with your parents.
Ideally you live frugally, are saving as much money as possible and have a serious commitment to finishing your degree and become a contributing member of society.
If you do that, soon enough you'll be on your way to having a place, that you can actually call your own.
I am a contributing member of society! I work and go to school! I am not just sitting at home taking hand outs. NYC is very expensive and I am single girl going to school paying for my own classes, no financial aid, and working. I need help with affordable housing until I can get a better paying job. I am not looking to live in Public Housing for my entire life like some people do. Some people that I know get welfare, don't ever work and live rent free. That's not me. I am trying to better myself. Just need a little help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 04:48 PM

7 posts, read 41,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Maybe you should ask at the management office.All you will get here are opinions and there will be many of them.
Thanks bluedog. I will visit my management office soon. I don't think many people here are looking to help just judge.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:31 PM

208 posts, read 464,106 times
Why not do what the others are saying and stay with your parents until you finish school and get a job in your career. Yes you mentioned a rent increase so go ahead and pay that. It will give you an idea what it's like to actually have to pay rent, though I'm sure the increase won't be much and what a real rent actually costs. The reason why some people get so upset about using/abusing/living off the system is because it sounds like you and your family have already been getting help. And now just because you want to be on your own but can't afford real rent you want another nacha apartment so now your family is using two, when you could just suck it up and save that apt for someone who truly needs it. Another suggestion is work more so you can afford an apt on your own and don't say it can't be done because you are in school. I went to school full time, and worked 60 hrs a week because I didn't have a family here to live with and I had to pay rent/bills/school all on my own.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:47 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc31 View Post
I am a contributing member of society! I work and go to school! I am not just sitting at home taking hand outs. NYC is very expensive and I am single girl going to school paying for my own classes, no financial aid, and working. I need help with affordable housing until I can get a better paying job. I am not looking to live in Public Housing for my entire life like some people do. Some people that I know get welfare, don't ever work and live rent free. That's not me. I am trying to better myself. Just need a little help.
Why no financial aid ? This can help a lot.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
One question: If the reason you're transferring out (if I understand correctly) is so your parents don't have extra rent to pay, why can't you just pay them back the money for the rent? I mean, if you live in your own apartment (even in NYCHA), you'd have to pay your own rent anyway, so it would just be easier to do that instead of worrying about the transfer process.

I'm not judging. I think it's great that you want to better yourself, but I'm just trying to help in case you overlooked that option.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:28 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc31 View Post
I work and pay taxes and I will use the resources that are out there if I need the help! I am not ashamed.
You pay taxes? Ha. The taxes you "pay" doesn't even buy a cup of coffee. Come on, be for real. You make it seem like you pay HUGE taxes to justify the handout. You said it yourself, you work part-time. Doing what? Burger King cashier? Poor people don't pay that much taxes. The real tax payers are people like myself, middle class people and above. It's OUR tax dollars that making it possible for people like you to get subsidized. Amount of tax dollars poor people pay is equivalent to you getting a $100 taken off your monthly rent. Thats how much you people contribute. The sad part is that people like you are NOT ashamed to get on welfare and ask for a handout. The total opposite of 3-4 generations ago when people were ashamed to admit they were on it and did everything possible to get off it. Funny how things change. SMH!

Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM

205 posts, read 977,493 times
To answer the OP question since I dont see it answered here
Nyc31 you cant transfer unless you are HOH. You have to fill out a new application for yourself and go thru the whole process. You cant just transfer out. Only the HOH can do that. Even if you are on the lease. Which doesnt make sense to me why it cant be done.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:35 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
NYCangel pretty much sums it up. Do you know what everyone else does when they are living at home, going to school, working part-time, and can't afford to live on their own? THEY STAY HOME UNTIL THEY CAN AFFORD A PLACE ON THEIR OWN. Do you know what people in public housing do in the same situation? They expect an apt for themselves at the price they can afford. WTF!

This is not the purpose of public housing! You currently have a place to live, but PREFER to have your own place..but since you cannot afford your own place, you want taxpayers to subsidize you with a NYCHA apt! Seriously? And the sad thing is, you see nothing wrong with this and could care less. And therein lies the problem.

There are 2 standards...one for those living on the public dollar, one for those who don't. If you are paying your own way, you sacrifice, scrimp, and save until you can afford to do what you want. For those in public housing, none of that matters...you simply WANT something, and therefore expect...and there is no illusion of responsibility, sacrifice, or earning anything.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:56 PM

208 posts, read 464,106 times
Well said SobroGuy! It's the entitlement of people on the system that really gets to me. I have no problem with people using programs for a certain amount of time to get ahead but living off of it and just thinking you deserve it....I'm not okay with.
I remember reading in one thread someone complaining that the apartments for the 80/20 program were too small in the silverstein towers. If your lucky enough to get to live in a brand new building in midtown for a fraction of the price, you should be happy with it and not complaining about this or that.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Poor people in NYC have nothing on poor people around the world. Yet they complain about stupid ish like my subsidized apartment is too damn small. Just be greatful you have a roof over your head, clean drinking water, Jordan sneakers on your feet and an IPhone. This entitlement mentality boggles my mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery