Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 02:31 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times

Advertisements

Forgotten NY used to have walking tours of ghetto neighborhoods. Mostly intellectuals interested in history and architecture. Dressed in Forgotten NY t-shirts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdefinition View Post
Hi all,
(First post, great and very useful website)

I am currently working on a small music video project as an production coordinator, and the director asked me to find a couple of visually interesting, stimulating streets/place where we could shoot at in NYC. It is a low budget hip hop music video so basically we are going to shoot the artist rapping in that streets and that's it. I made some research but I didn't find any website with such a listing!
By visually interesting, I mean the colors, the architecture, the atmosphere... Anything that would make you stop and look at it.
I'm asking the NYer: What are, in your opinion, the most unique-interesting-visual-awesome-etc streets in the five boroughs?
Welcome to the City-Data family!

My suggestion is Webster Avenue in front of Butler Houses in the Morrisania section of South Bronx since we are talking about a hip hop video, projects of course and crappy tenements, no signs of gentry yet. Plenty of atmosphere. Say to to your director to shoot in black an white and on a bleak winter day to give the video more visual depth. Try to get some locals to participate in the video if possible and make sure to include the sign "Welcome to Butler Houses, NYCHA".

Another good location is on Union Ave. and Southern Blvd in the Longwood section of South Bronx. This block is a throwback to Koch era with vacant lots and abandoned gas station. The sad thing is that this block is going to be developed into the affordable housing complex named "The Crossroads Plaza". So hurry! No vacant area or boarded up house stays undeveloped in South Bronx for long nowadays.

If you want projects, graffiti and elevated train then visit the area around Jackson Avenue station also in South Bronx. The downside is that theres a substantial amount of new suburban style homes in the area so say to your director not to include them, nobody wanna see them in a hip-hop video.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:00 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
These are the best in brooklyn, bring your camera.

Cobble Hill & Brooklyn heights

Verandah Place (transformed carriage houses)
Warren Place (see working mans cottages)
Hunts lane
Grace Court Alley
Love lane (picturesque old colorful carriage houses)
College Place

I have photographs of the College Place cottages in Black & White framed, truly beautiful.

you must check these streets out, preferably on bicycle, so they can be seen in one day.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
These are the best in brooklyn, bring your camera.

Cobble Hill & Brooklyn heights

Verandah Place (transformed carriage houses)
Warren Place (see working mans cottages)
Hunts lane
Grace Court Alley
Love lane (picturesque old colorful carriage houses)
College Place

I have photographs of the College Place cottages in Black & White framed, truly beautiful.

you must check these streets out, preferably on bicycle, so they can be seen in one day.
The OP is looking for places to shoot a hip hop video. With "picturesque old colorful carriage houses" it's going to suck to some extent.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:10 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Are you familiar with Gay Street in the Village? Not only is it visually interesting because of the architecture, but it's also got a nice angle.

(By the way, I'm on board with nightcrawler; short streets like the ones he's mentioned are endlessly fascinating!)

Maybe for the purposes of that hip-hop video, River Street by the Williamsburg waterfront would be an interesting idea. It's only two blocks long, and nobody lives on it.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:25 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Sakespeare Ave. at Anderson Ave. in the Bronx. I don't know if I'd want to live in this neigborhood but's it's an interesting streetscape. Note the wedge shaped building with the hilly streets on either side.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:13 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times

Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,522 times
I love the cobblestoned streets around the Meatpacking District and northern parts of the West Village. Look around Vinegar Hill as well in Brooklyn.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:32 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdefinition View Post
I am currently working on a small music video project as an production coordinator, and the director asked me to find a couple of visually interesting, stimulating streets/place where we could shoot at in NYC. It is a low budget hip hop music video so basically we are going to shoot the artist rapping in that streets and that's it. I made some research but I didn't find any website with such a listing!
By visually interesting, I mean the colors, the architecture, the atmosphere... Anything that would make you stop and look at it.
I'm asking the NYer: What are, in your opinion, the most unique-interesting-visual-awesome-etc streets in the five boroughs?
The public plaza at Worldwide Plaza is interesting because of the large, unique fountain with the four statues. The sheer size of the plaza and the natural light make it nice. It isn't exactly a street per se, but you asked for opinions on "visually interesting." It's between 50th Street and 49th Street. It's also between 9th Avenue and 8th Avenue. The restaurant named Blockheads is in the plaza, so if you can film without music, then it might be fine to use the plaza. If you need music while filming, I'm pretty sure the restaurant workers and the security guards who work at Cravath Swaine will ask you to leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City