Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:30 AM

9 posts, read 87,186 times

Advertisements

Hi I am a native new yorker , my husband has the oppurtunity to move to the fort worth /Dallas area of texas. I looked at the homes online and they are gorgeous and are a fraction of the cost of these dumps in brooklyn. My question, is it stupid to move to Texas because we can afford a beautiful home in a nice area? I would also be able to stay at home with my children. I would appreciate some advice. Has anyone been to this area? what is it like? oh by the way we are a racially diverse family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 02:15 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,809 times
Hmm, a lot of New Yorkers seem to be moving to Dallas/Houston now.

Dallas is a fast growing city with a thirsty market for workers. Might as well give it a shot. If you don't like it, you can always come back. Just make sure you research the neighborhood you are moving into. Like NYC, Dallas has crap areas as well.

A private home would be a nice thing to look into since you have a family. Better bang for the buck out there. You should be able to pick up a decent sized property.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:22 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Dallas is a big city. The land is FLAT.. flat... flat. If you drive on the interstate out there less than 80-90 you might get run over. The people I met were nice but we were passing through to get to OKC. It get HOT out there in the 100s during the summer. Get some cowboy boots and hat and you will right in

You might want to check out the Dallas forum to get feedback on housing, crime schools etc.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:29 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,332 times
Sounds like it might be great for you, esp if a spacious beautiful home is important for you and your kids.

As Keeper said, the Dallas forum should be helpful--more helpful, I would think, than this one, though of course the more info the better. I just wouldn't let anyone here sway me one way or the other based on their own personal preferences. Dallas residents can give you info from the point of view of someone who's lived there. You know what's best for you. Ultimately, no one else does.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:46 AM

274 posts, read 320,118 times
Why not Pennsylvania or NJ like the others who migrate out of NYC?

I don't like Dallas. Houston is better if you're going to Texas.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:49 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
The only thing I can say is that it is going to be a huge culture shock for your family moving from Brooklyn to Texas. So you better just be prepared for that if you are serious about the move. Have you ever been to Texas, if not, you should probably visit the area you plan on living in prior to a move.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:08 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
Look into all the good things Dallas and Houston has to offer. Also, look into the problems. Anywhere you go there are gonna be tradeoffs.

Also, when homebuying, look into the home's appreciation history (I sure the county registrar has a history of the deed of each home, or neighborhood). This helps if you're gonna or have to sell. And best of luck!

Old 09-26-2007, 08:28 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,332 times
Since the housing market is in a slump nationwide, you might get a good deal for your money by buying out there now. You can really pick and choose your dream home in a market where there's lots to select from, and probably negotiate a lower than asking price to boot.

However, when Hustla says you can always come back to NYC if you don't like it there, I think you know the obvious retort to that one.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleen View Post
Hi I am a native new yorker , my husband has the oppurtunity to move to the fort worth /Dallas area of texas. I looked at the homes online and they are gorgeous and are a fraction of the cost of these dumps in brooklyn. My question, is it stupid to move to Texas because we can afford a beautiful home in a nice area? I would also be able to stay at home with my children. I would appreciate some advice. Has anyone been to this area? what is it like? oh by the way we are a racially diverse family.
The only thing I'd be concerned about is the adjustment for yourself and your children. Going from New York to Dallas is quite the adjustment for lifelong New Yorkers. Make sure you are comfortable with your decision. If it feels right go for it. You might want to post this same exact thread in the Dallas forum and see what kind of responses you get.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:59 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
You would have to give it a try in order to really know. 7 of my family members along with their seperate families (meaning husbands/wives, children) moved to San Antonio. All life long Brooklynites. One person is a retired life long brooklynite the others are younger in the 30's. They have moved within the past 3 years. They love it and have no intention of returning. San Antonio is different from Houston or Dallas but it is still in Texas and far from NY. You will never know unless you try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City