Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:40 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
As long as it's not a weekend.
I drive on the wknds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 05:07 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
If you're going to go urban, go urban all the way.

I work in Manhattan, so it makes sense to live here.
I go to Brooklyn maybe 2 times a year, Staten Island 0, Queens a small handful, and I drive through the Bronx & Queens all the time.

I feel there is a hierarchy- and it's likely less borough based, and more financial based.
Lol.

I bet you're from Idaho or some small town too right? Sure the boroughs aren't AS urban as Manhattan but I can assure you, they are more urban than where ever you're from.

Try looking up densities in America. You'll most likely be surprised, either way please stay in Manhattan

Back on topic I really couldn't care less. You live in Manhattan-- that's nice if you're not struggling to maintain just to seem "cool" furthermore if this is the case, you're in no position to look down on anyone. Lastly I doubt people in the other boroughs care. Last census count said Brooklyn and Queens added the most new residents. It's not a contest, it's still the same city where ever you reside in it.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:17 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,141 times
I have yet to meet anyone from Manhattan that feels this way. Manhattan isn't all roses, it's quiet diverse socioeconomically. The outer-boroughs for the most part share the same level of urbanity, at least most areas. Much of the Bronx is as dense as upper Manhattan. Same goes for parts of Brooklyn and Western Queens.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:19 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
Are people actually like this or is this just a very small minority? Basically is there an elitist attitude for some that live in Manhattan to think that because you dont live there but live in brooklyn or queens you arent as good as them?
Yeah there are people like this but I wouldn't call a person like that a friend so I really don't give a damn about what they think or do...

Old 06-21-2012, 06:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Who gives a danm?!?!? I don't. Nobody I know does.

People who look down on others depending on where they live aren't very smart to begin with.

End of thread.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I personally couldn't care less where anyone lives and how they feel about me and where I live... I think that if you live your life caring so much about what others think about you, you're not going to live a satisfied life... Appreciate wherever you live as every area has its good and bad and who cares what anyone else thinks about you... Live your life...
Besides, if they care so much about what borough I live (not even what neighborhood within the borough I live, which even that I probably wouldn't take), then they're not somebody I'd want as a friend anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
The only thing that's annoying is that the E train is so packed during rush hour. I get on at 67th so usually I just take the M and if the E isn't too filled, run over at Jackson Heights. If it's packed, I just stay there. I work at 55th and 2nd so mine is the first stop in Manhattan. The M I always get a seat so that's ALWAYS a plus. I just wish the Q23 was better or I would just walk one block up and take that to 71st.
You could try taking a train in the opposite direction to Forest Hills and then take the (E) from there. Or if you happen to see the Q60 along Queens Blvd, you could take that to 71st Avenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Why does anyone care? More transplants in the outer boroughs= rent increases for the natives of those boroughs. This is how we get pushed out. Please stay in Manhattan! The rents too damn high as it is and I already have amenities in my neighborhood.
I was about to say the same thing.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:20 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Its funny. I lived in the East Village/Lower East Side for the majority of my life. I left in 2009 and moved to Middle Village Queens. My commute to midtown Manhattan for work is faster from where I currently reside in Queens than what it was from the East Village! To top it off, I pay $1050 a month for a spacious 1br with a backyard and parking for my car. Try finding that in Manhattan.

$1050 a month for a spacious 1br with a backyard and parking for your car? And no extra cost for the parking? But even if you DID pay for your parking there as well, $1050.00 is quite a low amount for New York City to get a one-bedroom & then in what I surmise is either a standalone house or a townhouse or else a garden apartment (rather than a typical multi-floor, multiple dwelling apartment building) and to have a backyard as well. And Middle Village, to my recollection, is no slum. You got a good deal!!!

Do you have the apartment all to yourself? Or instead, do you have to share with roommates or housemates?

Last edited by UsAll; 06-21-2012 at 10:37 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
I've lived in Manhattan in multiple apartments and, up through perhaps my mid-20s, I couldn't imagine living in any borough but Manhattan (and certainly not outside of New York City such as Long Island, Westchester, or New Jersey). Since then, I have evolved in my thinking to the point where I would NEVER want to live in Manhattan again (even if it wasn't extremely expensive and was even reasonable in rent rates). The crux of the matter is that I want to be in an environment where there are TRUE DETACHED HOMES (single-family homes & multi-family homes) along with any apartment buildings. I want more space to stretch, not wanting to live in the very midst of all the pandemonium & kinetic energy of Manhattan life 24/7/365. I need a place to come home to that is roomier and that has peace, quiet, and tranquiility. I want to be able to retreat from the 24/7/365 energy and density which is Manhattan. Even if I live in a traditional apartment building (instead of a standalone single-family or multi-family home) in one the other boroughs, at least I can walk by detached homes, shopping centers, malls, etc. rather than always being in the midst of the concrete, steel and glass jungle which is Manhattan. I can love or appreciate Manhattan otherwise for its virtues but would rather live in Queens or Brooklyn or the Bronx or along the Gold Coast of New Jersey (Jersey City, Hoboken, Newark, Bayonne, et al) or in southern Westchester (Yonkers, New Rochelle, White Plains, et al). Or even in Long Island.

In summary, I have lost my desire to make Manhattan my home . . . even aside from any financial considerations. And then when you do add in the reality that Manhattan is supremely, humongously expensive and then so dense and congested, it is a losing proposition for me. But I would NEVER EVER judge or look down on or knock anyone else for choosing to reside in Manhattan. I don't live other people's lives for them; they are in charge of their own lives, destinies, and criteria and I respect them (whatever choices they make). They don't need to seek my approval nor my disapproval for any choices they make; it is simply none of my business to put my two cents into their life decisions.

Last edited by UsAll; 06-21-2012 at 10:45 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 10:48 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I think there are people who feel that way. That's why they came up with the term bridge and tunnel crowd to be used condescendingly. But who really cares?

Old 06-21-2012, 11:05 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,238 times
A lot of people do, unfortunately. Think of people who are on a limited budget yet still want to live in Manhattan, despite the very short commute from some parts of the other boroughs. There are really nice neighborhoods, but I think they're sucked into the whole thought that living in Manhattan means you're on top of the game. But who cares, at the end of the day, I'm not really the one limiting myself to a lot of things they are.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
If you're going to go urban, go urban all the way.

I work in Manhattan, so it makes sense to live here.
I go to Brooklyn maybe 2 times a year, Staten Island 0, Queens a small handful, and I drive through the Bronx & Queens all the time.

I feel there is a hierarchy- and it's likely less borough based, and more financial based.
Good for you

Let me guess you only go to queens to use the airports right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City