Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 PM

114 posts, read 204,879 times

Advertisements

P.S., I just tried searching Bronx Craigslist with $1200 max/cats and the word "Pelham" for the first time. Lots of results! I picked this one randomly to click on, and it definitely looks like a place I could love. (I might not qualify, but again, let's not get into that aspect on this thread.)
**Amazing 1 BED Prime Pelham Bay Location**Showing Tonight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 09:32 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
certain blocks in Kingsbridge Heights, like around Giles Pl and Sedgwick and north of that are gourgeous. I remember tho when i had to move i was offered an apartment right around there but i wouldn't even check it out. I always wondered why. bmwguy, tho it's certainly a stable area(238th and Sedgwick), it's still probably not quite as nice or as safe as where i am now?? what do you think?
You are in a safer, more stable neighborhood, though some of the blocks off Sedgwick can be nice, as can parts of Sedgwick itself, headed down toward University Heights/Fordham Hill, and up where you mentioned. I have heard that part of it was with regard to management of buildings, and some are now co-ops, not rentals. Also, Sedgwick is much more of a residential corridor, and the stretch of Sedgwick up the hill from Bailey, the presence of the well-maintained VA Hospital kept that part of Sedgwick better because it's not a double-loaded street, and there are single-family homes mixed with low to mid rise apartment buildings.

Even in Kingsbridge Heights, there are good blocks and buildings, but it's the surrounding neighborhood that can be less than desirable in terms of amenities, and basic needs like shopping variety.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-08-2012, 05:10 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
If the OP looks at anything within Van Cortland village, you find exactly what you are looking for. I grew up in the area and never, ever felt unsafe. Perot, Summit, Shady, Heath Ave, Bailey, Giles, etc., are all good areas with affordable rent close to parks, public transportation, schools, etc. The 50 pct is close by, unfortunately those cops don;t patrol as much as they should. Most of the time, they are parked up in a quiet neighborhood in Riverdale, snoozing. I caught quite a few doing that. Recently, a innocent Asian man was shot dead for an Iphone in Riverdale, so don;t believe the hype. Crime can happen anywhere. As for amenities, there are many stores on Broadway. Marble Hill is not that desireable due to the traffic congestion and quality of life issues.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
I agree that Van Cortlandt Village is worth checking out too. It's really a beautiful area - trees are absolutely enormous. I've been in several apartment buildings there, and the conditions really varied - some were extremely well kept, and others were very badly kept. It's probably the same in my neighborhood in the Bronx, which is also worth checking out in my opinion - Bedford Park (between Mosholu Parkway south and Bedford Park Blvd.) Very green, better transportation options than Riverdale and lovely art-deco apartment buildings. Houses tend to be Victorian - ours was built in the late 1800s.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:56 AM

114 posts, read 204,879 times
I apologize for the lag here… been occupied/preoccupied elsewhere. The latest, detailed comments are much appreciated. I have to get my sale process going before I can explore seriously, but meanwhile I bought myself a Streetwise Bronx map and will study it as I re-read this thread. As I think I mentioned on the first page (can't see it in this view) I am also interested in the towns over on the other side that people here have praised—Pelham Bay, Morris Park, etc. In fact, since I have to move my car this morning anyway (I usually move it around 4 p.m. the afternoon before the space expires, but couldn't yesterday), I'm thinking about taking a ride up to the Mall at Bay Plaza. Anyway, thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City