Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:59 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times

Advertisements

^ ok, ok. i get your point, but you don't
have to tell me how to think or say
things to make you feel comfortable.
the world is not pc either, and you
can't ride the fence on every issue.
you have to take a stand sometimes.

just run people from their houses.
that just makes room for the man
to run you from yours. now get
with that.

Last edited by 11KAP; 07-16-2012 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 12:33 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
You are free to think or say whatever you want, I am simply trying to help you understand that you are equating "black and hispanic" with poor, when the reality is every color has the poor, and they all need somewhere to live..it isn't specific to people of color. People of color are overrepresented in the poor in NYC for a variety of reasons however.

As far as "running people from their houses", I have 2 comments on that:

1. If you are a renter, just like you are a buyer with a mortagage, it is your house so long as you keep making rent or the mortgage payment. So keep that in mind.

2. Furthermore, as a renter, it is your house until your lease expires, at which time it may or may not be renewed. If I choose not to renew your lease, there is nothing wrong with that...anymore than you choosing not to renew it. That's the beauty of renting.

There are occasions when some landlords do try to get rid of people from their buildings. Unfortunately the system is set up so that it is virtually impossible to not renew a tenant, so as a result landlords do lots of things to get people out. This is less a product of evil landlords and more a product of a really, really bad system. Same applies to tenants...it is not that there are so many lousy tenants, its the same really bad system that makes them bad tenants.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:41 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
^ i know every color has poor, man,
but blacks and hispanics have way
more than white americans.
they are living good for the most
part everywhere you go, so why
do they have to take over every
neighborhood in nyc?
you find nothing wrong with that?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:44 PM

I don't find anything wrong with that because it assumes someone "owns" a neighborhood. If it was ok for blacks and hispanics to move into white neighborhoods in the 50s-70s, then it must be ok for whites to move into black and hispanics neighborhoods today. Right?

Now if you agree to move out all the blacks and hispanics from all the white neighborhoods they "took over" in the 50s-70s, then I will agree that whites should not take over any black and hispanic neighborhoods today. Using your logic, that is the only fair and equitable answer.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ i know every color has poor, man,
but blacks and hispanics have way
more than white americans.
they are living good for the most
part everywhere you go, so why
do they have to take over every
neighborhood in nyc?
you find nothing wrong with that?
Don't assume that all of the gentrification is being caused by white people. They are the most visible but every black and Hispanic person you see in your neighborhood isn't poor. Some of us have lived here all of lives. Maybe we grew up poor but went to school and make good money now. Some of the people I grew up with left for the burbs or another state but we all didn't. A lot of the friends I grew up with are college educated professionals. I don't know any lawyers or MDs but I know teachers, therapists, nurses...cops ...fdny...etc. We grew up in the Bronx and we have stayed here.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 AM

And I am one of those people too!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
As are we.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
This can not be answered accurately in a Boolean manner; only an ordinal manner but, for simplicity here it is;

1) Transplants move to ghettos because they are low in dollar cost.
2) Everything else.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:39 AM

159 posts, read 204,479 times
I think a few of you have read into this too much? I'm headed there soon to live out the glamorous life of a transplant - and I can assure you the only reasons we'll end up wherever we do is that we can [hopefully] afford it, the LLs let us in, and it wasn't 'as bad' as other options. Any sugar coating will simply be so family and friends don't fear for our safety ;) Family and friends (especially those on the west coast) tend to think of the city as it was portrayed in 80s movies no matter how many times we explain it's not like that, so even if we do end up in a non ideal neighborhood - that's the last thing I'd want to tell my mom! Which half truth sounds better, "The neighborhood's great mom! It's totally up and coming, there are great people, trendy places are coming in, and we got such a great deal on rent! Our 400sq ft studio is only $xxxx ((aaaaand... subject change accomplished!))", or "mom, I didn't lie! I said the city was totally safe... manhattan is safe!"

I've spent decent time in NYC and consider myself to probably be ahead of your average pre-arrival transplant, but even so - contributing my divine touch in helping to gentrify a neighborhood is a thought that would never have crossed my mind! For most people there are just waaaay too many better things to worry about and take into consideration when trying to make this move.

Perhaps what's going on is that transplants are moving to bed-stuy cause it's their only option (perception trumps reality), and after getting comfortable with the city and realizing how people react when they tell them where they're living - maybe they're just trying to make the best of the situation by talking it up cause that's what they perceive everyone else doing? Just a guess, I'll let you know in a couple months lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City