Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 AM

6 posts, read 11,757 times

Advertisements

My family is planning a move to NYC end of this year from Toronto, Canada, and we've narrowed down to Astoria or Bayside for renting a 2 bedroom apartment. Husband's work will be in midtown, and would like to keep commuting time to under 1 hour. We have one 5 year old daughter, so school is important too!

I'm looking for some input on the following questions:
1. From my research so far, it appears that commuting time from Bayside (via LIRR) wouldn't be that much longer than from Astoria (via Metro), other than the train being less frequent. Can residents in either of the area provide your views on this?

2. We're only planning to live in Queens for about 2 years. So I'm mainly looking at Kindergarten and Grade 1 schools for my daughter. As between Astoria and Bayside, which would be a better choice? (I think Bayside, but wanted to hear about Astoria schools in case they can be a contender, if at all.) We're also open to Catholic schools.

Also, I know it might be hard to get her into a good school at all since we'll be moving during the school year. If anyone can provide some advice on this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

3. Our max rental budget is $3,000. Can people please comment on how realistic it is to find 800-1000 sqft apartment, with in suite laundry (too much to ask?), in the above two mentioned areas?

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 11:06 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrykiwi View Post
My family is planning a move to NYC end of this year from Toronto, Canada, and we've narrowed down to Astoria or Bayside for renting a 2 bedroom apartment. Husband's work will be in midtown, and would like to keep commuting time to under 1 hour. We have one 5 year old daughter, so school is important too!

I'm looking for some input on the following questions:
1. From my research so far, it appears that commuting time from Bayside (via LIRR) wouldn't be that much longer than from Astoria (via Metro), other than the train being less frequent. Can residents in either of the area provide your views on this?

THANK YOU!
Astoria is much closer to Manhattan than Bayside. The subway fares are much cheaper than the LIRR fares.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:12 PM

436 posts, read 565,268 times
Definitely Astoria. The LIRR isn't worth it with all the buses and fairly easy accessibility to a subway (throughout Queens at least). The one thing Bayside does have is its location in a top school district.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:48 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,522 times
If location is key, then Astoria. If school is key, Bayside. Cost? Either way, depending on your financial situation and prioritising what type of housing you need. However, I don't see why Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Park Slope et al don't seem to make it on the list? Those have some good schools and reasonable commutes as well. All are more family friendly than Astoria.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
If location is key, then Astoria. If school is key, Bayside. Cost? Either way, depending on your financial situation and prioritising what type of housing you need. However, I don't see why Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Park Slope et al don't seem to make it on the list? Those have some good schools and reasonable commutes as well. All are more family friendly than Astoria.
I would add Forest Hills in Queens which has good schools and a reasonable subway commute to Manhattan.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,784 times
As someone already mentioned, for school, Bayside and for the commute Astoria.
However, this is only temporary for 2yrs or so, I would go with Astoria because I have not see too many gangsters in kindergarten and elementary schools lately. I tend to think in the early years, home is where toddlers should gain the fundamentals.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:16 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,775 times
You will miss out on everything in Manhattan if you live in Bayside.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
As someone already mentioned, for school, Bayside and for the commute Astoria.
However, this is only temporary for 2yrs or so, I would go with Astoria because I have not see too many gangsters in kindergarten and elementary schools lately. I tend to think in the early years, home is where toddlers should gain the fundamentals.
lol... I think you're being funny, no? Unless I'm being naive, and should consider gangster intrusion in kindergarten in these named areas? Thanks!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I would add Forest Hills in Queens which has good schools and a reasonable subway commute to Manhattan.
Thank you! We're not the kind of Type A personalities that does comprehensive review of every neighbourhood, and go through a process of elimination. (Although I wish I could be that thorough :-). I just picked Astoria for its short commute and Bayside for its school, and happy to have Forest Hill as a happy medium. The goal is to live in a safe area with good schools and easy access to mid town.

Husband also works long and unpredictable hours. How easy is it to get a cab to go to Queens in the middle of the night?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
My vote goes to Forest hills.
A good compromise between good schools and a reasonable commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City