Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:55 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times

Advertisements

I am noticing a new kind of beggar on platforms and inside the trains. "Can I borrow your phone" beggars are out in full force.

During a 1 week period, I had 2 different individuals at 2 different stations ask if they can use my phone, they were assuming and total strangers. I saw something similar today where I man was asking a high school girl. Then another scenario where a man was asking a few individuals inside the train and he went back and forth asking the very same people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 09:48 PM

39 posts, read 82,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
I am noticing a new kind of beggar on platforms and inside the trains. "Can I borrow your phone" beggars are out in full force.

During a 1 week period, I had 2 different individuals at 2 different stations ask if they can use my phone, they were assuming and total strangers. I saw something similar today where I man was asking a high school girl. Then another scenario where a man was asking a few individuals inside the train and he went back and forth asking the very same people.
I had that happen to me on the street. Collect call buddy if it's that serious . I'm not playing sucka .
Had that happen to me while on vacation . Hell no lol.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:54 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
It's real easy to get out of that one - "sorry I don't let anyone borrow my phone", end of story.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
There were times when I've needed a cell phone (mine was either out of battery, or there was something screwed up with the account), and I've asked people to borrow theirs. In the past, people used to be more willing to lend a phone. Then one time, I asked about 5 people before somebody finally lent me theirs. (One of them is like "Of all the people in this ferry terminal, you ask me?". Well, for starters, he was one of the closest ones there, and I had already asked 4 other people. ) The woman sitting next to him lent me her phone after I explained that to him.

Keep in mind that I rarely need to make a phone call, and most of the time, I do carry a cell phone (over the past few years, there have been less than a handful of times when I had to ask). But the time a couple of months ago was the first when a bunch of people successively refused.

Look, if I wanted to steal a phone, the last place I'd do it in would be in a crowded ferry terminal (or subway car or any other form of mass transit).

Old 02-23-2014, 08:38 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Seriously? Who is going to fall for that one? The obvious scam is they steal the phone; second most obvious is they call a premium number.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:56 AM

It appeared he was napping on the train, once he woke up he started his campaign of asking random people for their phones. He was quite assuming and he asked me and some other guy twice. He must of wanted our phones badly. "Come on man, I need to call my girlfriend, why not man". He kind of reminded me of a junkie. Another thing I noticed he would ask when the train was about to come into a station.

5 reasons not to lend out your phone - Five Reasons Why You Should Never Lend Anyone Your Cell Phone - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Last edited by ShadowMassa; 02-23-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-23-2014, 10:41 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
It appeared he was napping on the train, once he woke up he started his campaign of asking random people for their phones. He was quite assuming and he asked me and some other guy twice. He must of wanted our phones badly. "Come on man, I need to call my girlfriend, why not man". He kind of reminded me of a junkie. Another thing I noticed he would ask when the train was about to come into a station.

5 reasons not to lend out your phone - Five Reasons Why You Should Never Lend Anyone Your Cell Phone - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com
And many people fall for it, Being kind and wanting to help and they get taken advantage of. Keep phones out of sight if possible. Pay phones are still around though in less numbers and a person can use one of those. I have never seen the above from someone but it's good this was posted for those who have not.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:43 PM

What a coincidence but today I saw the same phone-beggar again. The very one who asked if he could borrow my phone a few nights ago on the train. I was on Fulton street tonight going about my business, and I heard some one say 'excuse me miss, do you have a phone I can quickly borrow', then I look back and across the street and I see that very same guy. Like wtf!

Old 02-24-2014, 12:28 PM

25 posts, read 38,381 times
Phone beggars, no.

A swipe, yes. I might be in that situation one day. Who knows?

Old 02-24-2014, 12:35 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
I always say my phone is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City