Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:17 AM

15 posts, read 34,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Not exactly sure why it is a bad thing for our leaders to push/recommend and provide initiatives to do things which are healthy and good for us? That's what a good parents does:
Parents are supposed to raise us. You are correct, but in no way, shape, or form, is an elected official a 'parent'.

It is one thing to 'recommend' some of these initiatives. However, to mandate them is something completely different.

In looking at our society today, people often look at what FDR did during the Great Depression. They look at the social programs he developed, put in place and think that is what is being done by the current 'jobs' programs and welfare, etc.

The difference is, things like the TVA, the CCC, etc actually put people to work. They didn't just hand out money to those without jobs. They provided programs to get America moving again and get people working for what they received.

The current programs are just handouts. Creating more paper pushing jobs for the government instead of actually putting the people to work. The 'shovel ready jobs' just weren't there and almost all of the money was wasted.

It's time for our elected officials to quit telling us what to do, and to start enabling us to do the things we know we need to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,237,626 times
How old is Bloomberg now? 70?
I wonder if he is going senile....

Old 07-30-2012, 10:01 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,426,493 times
Cruznmore, you are spouting alot of rhetoric. It is our leadership's responsibility to PROTECT US, and that includes rules and regulations to assist us to live, work, eat, ensure everyone is playing fair, safety etc. When those rules and regulations are not working, a GOOD leader takes further action, and that is what Bloomberg is doing. You can advise people all day about the dangers of smoking, but that does not protect the workers who are stuck in bars/restaurants breathing it all day...so he MANDATED no smoking in bars/restaurants. You call that parenting....I call it good and effective leadership, and it protected workers, created healthier environments for all, saved lives, and changed our culture for the better.

None of which would have happened without mandating..much like our president MANDATING health care. The rules and regulations were not protecting citizens, and all the education and recommendations in the world were not changing anything. A good and effective leader mandated healthcare for all, otherwise it would never happen.

So while you and others may spew the rhetoric, the reality is mandating has always been a part of our history, is nothing new, and when used effectively, as Bloomberg has done in many instances, has a very positive impact on our community and saves lives.

PS- The primary fault of your argument is this last statement:

"It's time for our elected officials to quit telling us what to do, and to start enabling us to do the things we know we need to do." And to this i say:

1. There are too many people who don't know what they need to do. And when you do TELL them, they either don't care, cannot do it, or otherwise don't do it.
2. Unfortunately, the only way to ENABLE people to actually DO the things they need to do is to mandate. If you were involved with politics in any capacity you would understand why.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:06 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,442,354 times
smh..

Old 07-30-2012, 10:20 AM

18,512 posts, read 31,769,972 times
If Bloomie wants to protect us and make us have nice lives, then he need to ban those freaking tourist helicopters that fly above our parks and waterways, thus making the people not have a tranquil park experience, but to have to go to these parks and listen to the droaning of helicopters flying above all day long is insanity.

I went to govenors island yesterday, the choppers flew around the Island all freaking dal long, making us insane.

some tranquil park experience that was.

so no, i am sick of him dictating to us wht we can do and have and not do and not have.

i want quiet skys, why cant he do that????

Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 AM

15 posts, read 34,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Cruznmore, you are spouting alot of rhetoric. It is our leadership's responsibility to PROTECT US, and that includes rules and regulations to assist us to live, work, eat, ensure everyone is playing fair, safety etc. When those rules and regulations are not working, a GOOD leader takes further action, and that is what Bloomberg is doing. You can advise people all day about the dangers of smoking, but that does not protect the workers who are stuck in bars/restaurants breathing it all day...so he MANDATED no smoking in bars/restaurants. You call that parenting....I call it good and effective leadership, and it protected workers, created healthier environments for all, saved lives, and changed our culture for the better.

None of which would have happened without mandating..much like our president MANDATING health care. The rules and regulations were not protecting citizens, and all the education and recommendations in the world were not changing anything. A good and effective leader mandated healthcare for all, otherwise it would never happen.

So while you and others may spew the rhetoric, the reality is mandating has always been a part of our history, is nothing new, and when used effectively, as Bloomberg has done in many instances, has a very positive impact on our community and saves lives.
If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. Talk about me spouting rhetoric, it is completely though your line of argument.

It's no wonder that we continue to fall further and further into debt as a country and as citizens.

Protecting others is one thing. There are reason there are laws against drinking and driving for example. I approve of rules against smoking in public spaces. I don't smoke, and shouldn't have to because you choose to smoke. On that point, I also have no issue with so-called 'sin taxes'. I would also agree with a rule against you forcing me to drink the sugary drink you just purchased.

On this topic, there are plenty of reasons to promote breastfeeding. I do believe it is healthier for babies, it is much less costly for the parents, and for those that receive assistance for it, on us as taxpayers. However, there are other ways to encourage it beyond locking it behind closed doors.

Our government is there to support us, not nanny us. You must admit there is a difference.

Also, I never attacked you, only the ideas you championed. It is odd that those who supposedly preach open-mindedness and inclusion often preach the exact opposite and use very judgmental and evocative phrases when a differing opinion is presented.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 AM

18,512 posts, read 31,769,972 times
I think the problem here is that it is always Mayor Bloomberg telling us what NOT to do.
It is getting tired already. It seems like it is constantly him.
He does not own us.

I am a father of 3, I have enough common sense to not have of let my sons drink extra sugary drinks, and candy (within reason) and other crap. I have a brain, I do not need him to tell me, or to make a law about it.

This is exactly what the problem is, everyone is getting sick of him making these crazy rules on his illegal third term.

Cant we impeach him?

Old 07-30-2012, 11:04 AM

271 posts, read 533,508 times
Your mayor might give ours a test in the worst mayor in North America rankings.

Jeez, he's slowly losing his mind.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:26 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,923,520 times
Breastfeeding is actually HIGHLY beneficial to both mother and child, but especially the child.
There have been several studies linking breastfed children to;
-stronger immune system
-less childhood obesity
-less chances of developing allergies
-Fewer infections
and so on.

And one of the most surprising to me, is that children who are breastfed, have on average higher IQ's...

With that in mind, I don't think it's a bad idea to encourage new moms to breastfeed their children. However, one thing is to encourage, and another is to mandate.
IMO, Govnm't should be giving out this information and possibly facilitating breastfeeding, but not commanding it.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,828,050 times
Didn't read the second page... Just couldn't continue reading after the comparison of government to a parent... Sobro you truly are special... There are no other words to describe what's going on in that mind of yours... Just so that your mind can comprehend what I'm saying, what you just accepted is dictatorial government... You really are braindead...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City