Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:39 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,406,359 times

Advertisements

There is no doubt that maybe he goes about things the wrong way, or things are perceived in a negative manner by the public. Nobody is perfect, and I get that. But the bottom line is this: Would you want a leader who cares enough to recommend/create strategies/encourage or otherwise mandate such things which in general we all agree we should be doing (or not doing), or do you want a leader who does nothing?

You will break eggs making an omelette, and I accept that people get annoyed because "he is telling them what to do." Sorry, but unless somebody starts taking controlling and mandating these changes, we will be in a state of complete stagnantion, just like 1980-2000 IMO. We elected him to do a job, and he is doing it and I rather that than him doing nothing at all.

It should be noted that rhetoric is exactly what alot of people spew on here..it is toxic and contagious, and I call it as I see it. You may call this an attack, I call it identification of a usual fear mongering tactic. If you noted the comment, cruz started off complaining about Bloomberg being a "parent" and then went into social programs? Getting people to work? And then cruz continued with the comment and talked about "getting further in debt." Somehow Bloomberg trying to push breastfeeding is now tied to our economic crisis, none of which had anything to do with social programs, promoting a more healthy lifestyle, or spending by the way = usual rhetoric.

I understand he may not be doing things the way you like...I got that. But he is TRYING to do the right thing, and people like you are quick to demean, deride, and compare it to the end of the world. So he tries to do things positive, and you denigrate him for that because it is done exactly the way you like....and when he does nothing on other things, you denigrate him for not taking action.

Gotta love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 11:54 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,162,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Didn't read the second page... Just couldn't continue reading after the comparison of government to a parent... Sobro you truly are special... There are no other words to describe what's going on in that mind of yours... Just so that your mind can comprehend what I'm saying, what you just accepted is dictatorial government... You really are braindead...
Come on, surely you can express yourself better than a 2nd grade kid, right? Please counter Sobro's argument with something cogent, because what have you accomplished with this?

Personally I think he is making good points. I don't necessarily agree with him, but I don't think it needs to get to 'nyah nyah nyah' level to say you disagree.

Go have a 20 oz. coke and chill

Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 PM

18,500 posts, read 31,720,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznmore View Post
If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. Talk about me spouting rhetoric, it is completely though your line of argument.

It's no wonder that we continue to fall further and further into debt as a country and as citizens.

Protecting others is one thing. There are reason there are laws against drinking and driving for example. I approve of rules against smoking in public spaces. I don't smoke, and shouldn't have to because you choose to smoke. On that point, I also have no issue with so-called 'sin taxes'. I would also agree with a rule against you forcing me to drink the sugary drink you just purchased.

On this topic, there are plenty of reasons to promote breastfeeding. I do believe it is healthier for babies, it is much less costly for the parents, and for those that receive assistance for it, on us as taxpayers. However, there are other ways to encourage it beyond locking it behind closed doors.

Our government is there to support us, not nanny us. You must admit there is a difference.

Also, I never attacked you, only the ideas you championed. It is odd that those who supposedly preach open-mindedness and inclusion often preach the exact opposite and use very judgmental and evocative phrases when a differing opinion is presented.

BINGO !! folks we have a winner here.

yes, the key word is encourage.
Like encourage people not to buy the million gallon size soda, explain why it isnt good for your healy, dont just ban it and say ha ha. you cant have it anymore...

big difference.

People need to be educated, not repremanded (by the mayor no less), who illegally has a third term.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:30 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,406,359 times
All the education in the world did not remove smoking from bars/restaurants, that was a mandate. All the education in the world did not get transfats out of our food, that was a mandate. All the education in the world did not get calorie counts on the menus, that was a mandate. And these are just off the top of my head.

If you want to believe he is a dictator, then I guess your parents were also and you have equal disgust for them? I do not want a nanny state, but unless Bloomberg mandated these changes we would still be talking about them, and not DOING anything about it..get it? It is one thing to be a Dictator, it is another thing to take action when our laws and education are not doing the job, and that's what Bloomberg has done. Less talk, more action..and I think overall we are thankful for these mandates.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:49 PM

282 posts, read 576,685 times
The biggest problem I have with this is simple--Bloomberg is a man. He has never and will never breastfeed a baby. So no, he doesn't get to preach to me about what I should and shouldn't do. Yes, people know breastfeeding is better. Guess what? Not everyone can do it. And to start a program that sounds as though women will be castigated for not breastfeeding is wrong. I don't know a single woman who would not have preferred to breastfeed her baby but I know plenty who couldn't.

Quote:
If you want to believe he is a dictator, then I guess your parents were also and you have equal disgust for them?
If they insisted on preaching to me and telling me what I can and can't do at my age--yes. But they have more respect for me than to do that. I am actually allowed to make my own choices--imagine.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:53 PM

271 posts, read 533,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
BINGO !! folks we have a winner here.

yes, the key word is encourage.
Like encourage people not to buy the million gallon size soda, explain why it isnt good for your healy, dont just ban it and say ha ha. you cant have it anymore...

big difference.

People need to be educated, not repremanded
"I think people need to limit soda intake because ____________ and I would like to see restaurants and fast food places offer healthier products because _________" will always be much better than "no large sodas for you because I say so, but trust me, it's for your own good".

Sliiiiiiippery slope.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 PM

15 posts, read 34,406 times
The ends do NOT justify the means. There are consequences to how we get to a given end point. For many, it doesn't matter what it took to get to _________ (you can fill in the blank). For me, it does make a difference.

Like I said, I'm not a smoker. However, if you are, all I ask is that you be as respectful of my rights as I am of yours. The issue, in many of these cases, is the fact that there is no respect for others. Our attitude is that my rights supersede yours.

As said above, it is a slippery slope. What is the next thing the Mayor decides isn't good for us? The USDA just 'accidentally' posted about pushing for Meatless Monday's. What if the Mayor decides, hey, that's a good idea. Let's mandate no meat Monday's. Would that be ok with you? I'm sure for the deli's and hot dog stands of the city, it would be awesome!

The important issues of public safety and infrastructure should be what the government should be dealing with. Not sugary drinks and baby formula.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:21 PM

18,500 posts, read 31,720,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
All the education in the world did not remove smoking from bars/restaurants, that was a mandate. All the education in the world did not get transfats out of our food, that was a mandate. All the education in the world did not get calorie counts on the menus, that was a mandate. And these are just off the top of my head.

If you want to believe he is a dictator, then I guess your parents were also and you have equal disgust for them? I do not want a nanny state, but unless Bloomberg mandated these changes we would still be talking about them, and not DOING anything about it..get it? It is one thing to be a Dictator, it is another thing to take action when our laws and education are not doing the job, and that's what Bloomberg has done. Less talk, more action..and I think overall we are thankful for these mandates.

well, I am an educated man, I know smoking is not good for your health, I mean it is really a no brainer, inhaling smoke. I just don't think so.How could it possibly be good.??

I have also educated my sons, maybe brainwashing...but they do not smoke either...and my sister with her children do not smoke either....

no, I didn't need to have a smoking ban by the mayor to instruct me not to smoke, I already know it is not healthy for you.

I didnt need him to tell me that. I knew that from 4th grade....with the model smoke machine man and seen the disgusting brown color going into your lungs, that was enough for me...but that was education by the teacher, not a law by the mayor..

get it??

Old 07-30-2012, 01:24 PM

15,608 posts, read 15,740,822 times
Excuse me, but off-hand, much as I dislike Bloomberg, I'm guessing that this is a good thing. Encouraging breast feeding it good in terms of immunities, and discouraging hospitals from trying to run up their bills is a good thing, too, in my opinion.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:26 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,853,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
If you have enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$ you can be as dumb as you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City