Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 21,350 times

Advertisements

I work for a non profit agency that is assisting an adult with a developmental disability live on his own. We've identified an apartment at 601 west 141st street and Broadway. Anyone familiar oath this building and or area? Anything you can tell me regarding safety?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housing123456 View Post
I work for a non profit agency that is assisting an adult with a developmental disability live on his own. We've identified an apartment at 601 west 141st street and Broadway. Anyone familiar oath this building and or area? Anything you can tell me regarding safety?

Thanks in advance...
It is a seedy area, or Broadway is. I have never walked there at night so I am not completely sure about safety, but I know a few restaurants just opened nearby, Harlem Public, Chipped Cup. There is also a theater renovation going on, 146th and Broadway. This area will change a lot in the coming few years given the Columbia building project.

Isn't this a building with a lot of renovations going on ? I could be thinking of another one.
How much is the rent ? Is it worth it ?

Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
I'd hardly call it seedy by NYC standards. Is it a prestine area? No. But Broadway is actually fairly safe during the day because it's a busy retail area. At night 145th and Broad can be a bit of a crime hot spot due to the McDonalds, Morocco nightclub, and the liquor store nearby.

In the 1990's that stretch of Broadway was much worse. There'd be dealers posted up on every block. Like 5 or 6 on each block.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:00 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
In the 1990's that stretch of Broadway was much worse. There'd be dealers posted up on every block. Like 5 or 6 on each block.
The last few years cops have chased drug dealers off the main Aves, due to pressure from business owners. There is no more abandoned housing around so people are demanding that they chase them off the in between blocks as well. Most streets have Block Associations, and Precinct meeting are now well attended, since most buildings have become HDFC coops, and brownstone owners live in their brownstones for the most part. There are only a few vacant brownstones around now.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housing123456 View Post

Thanks in advance...
That block and the immediate area around it is mostly Dominican and Mexican. It is very busy when the weather is warm, because Broadway is a commercial strip.

It is easy to shop over there, you buy practically anything, and there are medical doctors offices, and dentist etc that people in the community use. Most are affliated with Columbia Presbyterian Hospital.

There are buildings that are used for shelters on Riverside Drive, this is one of the few major problems that I see in the area right now.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:59 PM

465 posts, read 872,178 times
I lived in Hamilton Heights 10 years ago, when it was much rougher, and had no problems.

I don't think it was particularly bad then, and certainly not now. It's fine. Maybe not ultra-pristine/safe like the Upper East Side, but still pretty safe. Crime is down like 90% from 20 years ago, so we're talking massive improvements.

Broadway is kind of noisy, but not "bad". It's active even in the middle of night, and stores remain open all night, so feels pretty safe at all hours. It used to be almost all Dominican but recently has become very diverse, with lots of whites and Asians moving in.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I'd hardly call it seedy by NYC standards.
By NYC standards ?! which ones ? You could only not call it seedy by Harlem standards.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
By NYC standards ?! which ones ? You could only not call it seedy by Harlem standards.
In nyc there are much seedier areas than this.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
In nyc there are much seedier areas than this.
Of course, I agree, but I would still call it seedy.
The comedy is - there are a few "fancy" buildings with high-enough rents.
One is directly across from the projects, rents are just around $2,500. and up.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Of course, I agree, but I would still call it seedy.
The comedy is - there are a few "fancy" buildings with high-enough rents.
One is directly across from the projects, rents are just around $2,500. and up.
Anyone who pays $2500 to live across the street from the projects in Hamilton Heights should have their head examined
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: