Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,123 times

Advertisements

No offense or anything but seriously. New York pizza needs to go down the scale by a huge chunk.

I was on a quest to find the best pizza in town and went to a ton of places already. Lots of them which were mentioned by people here and other forums.

DiFara, Totonnos, Carmines, Sal & Carmine, Lombardis, among many others and I don't know what the hype is about. The cheese doesn't even have taste! The crusts are too hard, etc. Clearly, anyone who says New York has the one of the best pizzas hasn't been to Brazil.

I $hit you not, pizzas in Brazil are at a whole nother level. I'm not just saying this because I'm from there but you guys just have to see it for yourself. Seriously, when you go to Brazil (if you ever), ask around about the best place to get a pizza. Your mind will be blown.

Pizzas in Brazil you eat with a knife and fork because you simply cannot hold a slice.

Catupiry. C a t u p i r y. This is probably the greatest part of a Brazilian pizza. It's like a creamy cheese that they put on it. ITS AMAZING.

Certain pizzas down there, the crust is flaky and melts in your mouth. The combination of ingredients give the pizza so much flavor it's unbelievable. Our crusts are thin, not Chicago style like.

Anyone who's been to Brazil and has tasted our pizza will most likely tell you we have the best. It even makes Italian pizza look like crap.

Just had to vent. For the real taste, you'll have to go down to Brazil. I have never seen a place here that makes pizza like down there. Not in NY or any other state I've been to (and I've been to most states in the US).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 07:23 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
None offense taken but everyone has their own idea on what a pizza should be like. For example I grew up on NY pizza and I love it. That being said I don't care much for those places you listed nor these $1 a slice pizza shops that are all over the place. I'm partial to the actual original Ray's pizza and Grimaldi's in Brooklyn and Hoboken. Also a pizza that you eat with a fork and knife is just not real pizza to me. Im not a fan of Chicago Deep Dish styles as well but I'm sure a lot of people in and around Chicago are. I feel like I'm overwhelmed in dough with the deep dish style.

So that being said its different strokes for different folks and what people grew up with. I would definitely try your Brazilian pizza but just how you described it already it wouldn't top NY pizza for me. NY pizza probably gets the most hype because of how many pizza parlors there are in it and how many tourists and local people that are in and around NYC that rave about it.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
None offense taken but everyone has their own idea on what a pizza should be like. For example I grew up on NY pizza and I love it. That being said I don't care much for those places you listed nor these $1 a slice pizza shops that are all over the place. I'm partial to the actual original Ray's pizza and Grimaldi's in Brooklyn and Hoboken. Also a pizza that you eat with a fork and knife is just not real pizza to me. Im not a fan of Chicago Deep Dish styles as well but I'm sure a lot of people in and around Chicago are. I feel like I'm overwhelmed in dough with the deep dish style.

So that being said its different strokes for different folks and what people grew up with. I would definitely try your Brazilian pizza but just how you described it already it wouldn't top NY pizza for me. NY pizza probably gets the most hype because of how many pizza parlors there are in it and how many tourists and local people that are in and around NYC that rave about it.
I went to Grimaldi's but have not tried Ray's Pizza. I'll def. check out Ray's.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I do $.99 pizza only (about 20 places) and some of them are terrific, some so-so and only one place so far, completely inedible.

However adding a flight to Brazil might raise the price to $ 1500.99 so I guess I will stick to New York pizza.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Pizzas in Brazil you eat with a knife and fork because you simply cannot hold a slice.
Your trouble is that you have misunderstood what pizza is.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Your trouble is that you have misunderstood what pizza is.
Funny.

Quote:
Pizza (Italian pronunciation: [ˈpittsa], from the Latin verb pìnsere, to press and from the Greek pēktos, πηκτός, meaning "solid" or "clotted") is Greek in origin (see also pitta).

The Ancient Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs and cheese. In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled πίτα, pita, or πίττα, pitta, meaning pie. The word has also spread to Turkish as pide, and Bulgarian, Croatian and Serbian as pita, Albanian as pite and Modern Hebrew pittāh. The Romans developed placenta, a sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey and flavored with bay leaves.

Modern pizza originated in Italy as the Neapolitan pie with tomato. In 1889, cheese was added.

In 1889, during a visit to Naples, Queen Margherita of Italy was served a pizza resembling the colors of the Italian flag, red (tomato), white (mozzarella) and green (basil). This kind of pizza has been named after the Queen as Pizza Margherita.
Looks like a pizza is supposed to be a pie. Hence, Chicago wins.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
I've had pizza in Brazil (and Argentina), it was gross, IMO. I don't consider it to be real pizza and I'm not a fan of that creamy cheese

Old 09-07-2012, 08:53 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Funny.

Looks like a pizza is supposed to be a pie. Hence, Chicago wins.
The pizza in Italy is very thin, not thick like it is in Chicago

Old 09-07-2012, 08:53 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Funny enough i never liked the pizza's at any of the places you mentioned in the original posts. The best pizzas ive had here in NYC have been NEW ROMA on the corner of Delancey and Essex st, BENS PIZZA on Macdougal and West 3st. Also ARTICHOKE pizza on 14st and 1ave is my fave location from that Franchise. 2 Bros pizza can be hit or miss for its .99 pricing. Rays Pizza has so many different name/locations that you will be foolish to judge all of them based on 1 or 2 locations. Personally i use to love the Houston st location when it came to Rays, but i havent been in many yrs due to the above places i mentioned lol.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The pizza in Italy is very thin, not thick like it is in Chicago
Exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City