Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:56 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,117,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
Most laughable anecdote of NYC on this forum, and that's saying quite a bit.
Care to elaborate and provide something of substance to back up what you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
So his biggest reason for leaving was the trash? What about not having a job in NYC?....
I'm always on vacation during summer months. Like I said, I stopped the search for a job once I knew I was leaving. And I knew going in that would always be an option for me.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:52 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,264,414 times

I take back what I originally wrote. Fire away!!!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,992,364 times
lots of the replies seem to come from those who have spent their entire life in NYC and have no clue that there are nicer and prettier places outside NYC.

It is ok to fall in love with one's own home town. But to defend the dirty streets and rude behavior simply reveals the making of such defective city culture: because lots of its native citizens believe that it is the way NYC has been and should continue to be so. Otherwise, NYC no longer.

Does any of you believe in changing for better?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,824,000 times
Leoliu.....u sound like a tourist.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM

Everybody has their own opinions and places their own value on certain things. All I am offering is my own opinions and experiences. These forums are here so many people can share their own unique experiences. There will be people interested in reading accounts like the one I offered. And those people will also take note of how others respond.

I'm very happy-and proud- that I managed to go live in NYC for the seven weeks that I did. I strongly recommend others try their best to do the same. There's only one New York and you have only one life. Of course, none of that makes NYC the best place for everybody. And someone who tries out NYC and decides it isn't for them isn't necessarily "weak" or any of the other insulting adjectives some may hurl at them. There have been many people who have decided NYC wasn't for them and/or bashed the city who spent a lot less than seven weeks living there...

Old 09-11-2012, 11:14 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,432,377 times
Yes, but comparing Hermosa Beach to NYC? The South Bay would compare with the Sound Shore in Westchester or North Shore on LI, in terms of demographics and proximity to water, but not the beaches. Just as Hermosa <> DTLA, the Sound Shore communities <> NYC, so it would be a huge lifestyle adjustment to jump from a suburban area like Hermosa Beach to Manhattan, such that I might not recommend it to someone who liked the lifestyle offered by Hermosa Beach, unless it was due to a forced occupation-related relocation.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-11-2012 at 11:45 PM..

Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,200,912 times
Default My seven weeks living in New York City

You didn't even scape the surface......

Old 09-12-2012, 06:43 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,130,658 times
How about the job situation comparison between Manhattan and Hermosa Beach. Is the OP independently wealthy because there was scant mention of work besides "job hunt which I gave up after a month?"

I'm confused becasue most people find NYC impossible without work (or money,) and trashbags on the street come a FAR, FAR second to NO JOB as a major problem.
But then most people would have the same problem with Hermosa Beach I presume.

People with unlimited amounts of money and free time typically find NYC the most enchanting place in the United States, bar none.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,114,264 times
New York is better for working class people as you don't need a car. Cars are black holes where all the money goes.

Last edited by r small; 09-12-2012 at 08:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City