Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:53 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times

Advertisements

The Bronx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 11:25 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
To those who disageree with those guys in the video how would you disprove what they're saying about early Hip Hop style Djing and sound systems getting started in other boroughs before the Bronx?

Old 09-17-2012, 12:00 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who disageree with those guys in the video how would you disprove what they're saying about early Hip Hop style Djing and sound systems getting started in other boroughs before the Bronx?
Maybe the queens posters might be able to help you out.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,735 times
The Bronx, Sedgwick Avenue in the early 70's is where it all started, after that it spread to pretty much all the rest of the city and every other borough has contributed to the hip hop culture ever since. Bronx is the foundation but the whole NYC is the hip hop mecca.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,957,399 times
The Bronx did but Brooklyn and Queens have/has had better rappers from day one. The only reason I put the "has had" part is because Biggie is dead and French Montana is holding down NYC these days, he's a Bronx dude.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
So not Staten Island then?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So not Staten Island then?
As dope and influent as Wu Tang is, SI never really had a hip hop scene active as the other boroughs.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:56 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
the bx by a jamaican dj.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
The Bronx did but Brooklyn and Queens have/has had better rappers from day one. The only reason I put the "has had" part is because Biggie is dead and French Montana is holding down NYC these days, he's a Bronx dude.
French Montana is holding down NYC???? Wow how our standards have lowered... How about underground artists like Torae, Joell Ortiz, Mysonne, Asap Rocky, Vado, Flatbush Zombies, etc. Those guys are what's holding not only NYC down but hip hop in general for that matter... There are very few other rappers across the country doing what these guys are doing lyrically... Hopsin (my favorite rapper out there right now and for those who don't know check out ill mind of hopsin 5, just calls out every single problem out with this generation of youth) Lupe, Cole, Locke Koushal, and a boatload of other Harlem rappers that i can't remember their names are really one of a handful of guys keeping this genre lyrically relevant...

Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
French Montana is holding down NYC???? Wow how our standards have lowered... How about underground artists like Torae, Joell Ortiz, Mysonne, Asap Rocky, Vado, Flatbush Zombies, etc. Those guys are what's holding not only NYC down but hip hop in general for that matter... There are very few other rappers across the country doing what these guys are doing lyrically... Hopsin (my favorite rapper out there right now and for those who don't know check out ill mind of hopsin 5, just calls out every single problem out with this generation of youth) Lupe, Cole, Locke Koushal, and a boatload of other Harlem rappers that i can't remember their names are really one of a handful of guys keeping this genre lyrically relevant...
He's talking on a mainstream pOint and he is right. Buttttt French Montana is lyrically challenged to me. He sucks he always has since his cocaine city days.

I like ASAP rocky, Flatbush zombie, fabulous Way more.

Fabulous needs to step up an retain his mainstream NYC title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City