Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:52 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times

Advertisements

I do not believe Bloomberg ran for Mayor primarily to make himself wealthier..I think he genuinely cares about NYC and wanted to make it better, or at least leave his mark on this city. When you have as much money as he does, and not much to do, you tend to find a cause to keep you busy, and turning NYC around, or rather taking it to the next level, was his cause. Does his company also benefit because he is Mayor...maybe, maybe not.

There is no doubt he has made a permanent impact on NYC and out lifestyle:

We have 1 million more trees which are here to stay and will grow large
165,000 affordable housing initiative
Expansive bike lanes
Pedestrian plazas and lots of new parks
Redeveloped waterfront (existing and ongoing)
Massive rezonings of industrial areas for future mixed use development
All the smoking/calorie/sodium and now soda changes people love to hate
And on and on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 08:04 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I do not believe Bloomberg ran for Mayor primarily to make himself wealthier..I think he genuinely cares about NYC and wanted to make it better, or at least leave his mark on this city. When you have as much money as he does, and not much to do, you tend to find a cause to keep you busy, and turning NYC around, or rather taking it to the next level, was his cause. Does his company also benefit because he is Mayor...maybe, maybe not.

There is no doubt he has made a permanent impact on NYC and out lifestyle:

We have 1 million more trees which are here to stay and will grow large
165,000 affordable housing initiative
Expansive bike lanes
Pedestrian plazas and lots of new parks
Redeveloped waterfront (existing and ongoing)
Massive rezonings of industrial areas for future mixed use development
All the smoking/calorie/sodium and now soda changes people love to hate
And on and on...
Even though I wasn't here, I heard he was great his first two terms, but this last one appears to be about NONSENSE. He's ruining his legacy.

It's time to move on. The days of Mayor For Life in the city ended for a REASON. He never should have been granted a third term. Never.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:59 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
why would a billionaire want to be a politician and work for one
dollar a year? isn't that a waste of time plus a headache?

Old 09-21-2012, 09:27 AM

I agree that he should not have had a 3rd term, but the other choice was Bill Thompson...whose entire campaign was "Vote for me at least I am not Bloomberg." And now you know why Bloomberg is in his 3rd term...crisis avoided! Thankfully it looks like Bill is a distant 3rd or 4th in popularity for Mayor next year..he completely embarassed himself in 2009.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:44 AM

145 posts, read 284,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I agree that he should not have had a 3rd term, but the other choice was Bill Thompson...whose entire campaign was "Vote for me at least I am not Bloomberg." And now you know why Bloomberg is in his 3rd term...crisis avoided! Thankfully it looks like Bill is a distant 3rd or 4th in popularity for Mayor next year..he completely embarassed himself in 2009.

I find it hard to believe that you're so dense as to not realize that had trollberg not weaseled his way around the law, there would have been a much better candidate pool...

Old 09-21-2012, 09:52 AM

I am extremely dense, but how do you believe the candidate pool would have been better had Bloomberg not run? You are saying that candidates who wanted to be Mayor of NYC were too afraid to run against Bloomberg, and automatically self-defeated themselves because Bloomberg was in the race? Is that a better caliber of Mayor for NYC? Someone who is afraid/insecure to go up against a guy like Bloomberg? And this would be the same Mayor we are supposed to elect? If he can't run a campaign against a rival candidate, and have the ballz to rise to the challenge, how the heck is he going to be our Mayor and deal with the major issues we have???????????

Obama was up against Hillary, the "inevitable" Democratic nominee for 2008, with all the name recognition, hype, and inordinate amounts of money backing her.....and what did Obama do? HE CONTINUED. And what was the result? HE WON. THAT IS THE CALIBER OF CANDIDATE WE NEED IN NYC.

The people you are describing who bowed out because Bloomberg was running are the weak, timid, and self-defeatists....why the heck would you think they would be good mayors of NYC!!! Bloomberg did us a favor by eliminating these weaklings.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:06 AM

145 posts, read 284,775 times
If it is that difficult for you to comprehend that hardly anybody has the disposal income to go up against his vast, vast war chest; then I don't know what to do with you.

Essentially trampling over literally any contender with your endless billions is not "eliminating the weak" buddy. All he had to do was inundate every single media outlet to the extreme with his self-fellating nonsense. And new yorkers, out of complacency, do what they're told. It's pretty simple.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:16 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Many politicians do get insider trading tips. Few care thats why its never in the mainstream media.
This is very true.
Politicians, at least members of Congress, should be forced to put their holdings in a blind trust if elected. Too many increase their wealth this way while in office. THey enter office middle class and leave wealthy, all because of doing favors for business and getting inside info that affects stock prices in return. This way it cannot be traced as a payoff for favors.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:29 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
. . .

Do you really think Bloomberg gives a **** about a fat NY'ers? It's absurd.

How does a majority owner of a financial firm become mayor and stay mayor for 12 years of a global financial capital? This is conflict of interest and corruption 101.
Imagine that you were a majority owner of a nut conglomerate and then became King of Squirrel planet! Short of closing down the company, you'd be making money hand over fist.
Yes. Bloomberg does care about the City and its inhabitants. I really believe that. Everything he's done is for the betterment of the population and to beautify the place and to clean the air.

I don't know what his financial arrangements are, but if he has his eye on national politics, I would wager that he is NOT using his current office to increase his wealth, but to show what improvements he's made to add to his resume.

I would vote for the guy for national office. He's made the City a more attractive and healthier and safer place. It's not an easy job. I appreciate what he's done.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. Bloomberg does care about the City and its inhabitants.
If Mike Bloomberg cares about any other human beings, they are human beings who also happen to be wealthy. Everyone else is just a necessary evil to him.

On top of that, for heaven's sake...the man isn't even a New Yorker! It's been a long time since anyone used the term 'carpetbagger.' But, coming from suburban Boston as he does, that's precisely what he is. If a complete stranger from, let's say, Wyoming announced that he wanted to be the mayor of New York, what would you say? But you don't say that about Mike Bloomberg. Why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City