Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:39 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
then you must not know very much about his businesses, specifically Bloomberg, L.P. and how he earned his wealth
While looking down on the peasants of NY follow his decrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 11:44 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djones748 View Post
Homeboy has astronomically increased his wealth since becoming mayor. Astronomically. Now granted I am not a businessman and cannot give you details on what one thing has to do with the other. But if you're going to sit there and tell me that they do not, I am going to tell you that you're smoking rocks...
of course his wealth went up. When you have as much money as he does, You could just leave all your money in a savings account and still get a bigger salary in interest than most people would in a year. If he invests his money smartly, which i would imagine he would, considering you have to be smart to get into a position of wealth like he is, you're going to gain even more money. Throw on top of that having a majority stake a giant global company... and yes, your wealth is going to increase over a decade...

I have never smoked a rock before, but i have skipped a stone...

Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Poverty and Obesity, as examples, are societal issues much larger than NYC. He is right..it is a national problem which needs a comprehensive national solution. To put the blame on Bloomberg and dismiss the larger societal issue, is simply a silly attempt at a cheap shot at the Mayor. I get it...you don't like him because he doesn't allow you to drink an 800 ounce cup of coke, he doesn't let you smoke a carton of cigarettes at McDonalds, he doesn't let you carry around an arsenal of guns to "protect yourself", and he forces you to tolerate pedestrian plazas, bike lanes, parks, and a million more trees in NYC.

Yes he is a horrible Mayor. We all see why you hate him.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:59 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Rent-yes, real estate--no. He appoints members to the board who approve the rise in rents.

I agree with you on transportation since the mayor does recommend members on the MTA board.

City college tuition is controlled by the State, not the City. I attended a ralley many years ago in front of then Gov. Cuomo's office when city college tuitions increased. State lawmakers approve tuition increases.

I do agree with you that a lot of the increases are making NY'ers poorer but I can't say it's making him richer. Believe me, I'm not a Bloomberg advocate but I do give him props for becoming a self-made billionaire before he was mayor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Bloomberg can put measures in place the same way he has done with everything else.
Rent has gone up
Transportation has gone up
City college tuition has gone up

All of this making New Yorkers poorer than 5-10 years ago.

During the baby boom generation it took one head of household to work, bring home the bacon & pay the bills. Now its everybody plus the kids.

Agree but his employers wages are not keeping up with the cost of living thus making them poorer.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:01 PM

145 posts, read 284,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
of course his wealth went up. When you have as much money as he does, You could just leave all your money in a savings account and still get a bigger salary in interest than most people would in a year. If he invests his money smartly, which i would imagine he would, considering you have to be smart to get into a position of wealth like he is, you're going to gain even more money. Throw on top of that having a majority stake a giant global company... and yes, your wealth is going to increase over a decade...

I have never smoked a rock before, but i have skipped a stone...

So since becoming mayor and subsequently the most powerful man in NY (and one of in the country arguably), he hasn't gotten insider trading tips that the regular joe cannot get?

Right-e-o chap...

Old 09-20-2012, 12:06 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Poverty and Obesity, as examples, are societal issues much larger than NYC. He is right..it is a national problem which needs a comprehensive national solution. To put the blame on Bloomberg and dismiss the larger societal issue, is simply a silly attempt at a cheap shot at the Mayor. I get it...you don't like him because he doesn't allow you to drink an 800 ounce cup of coke, he doesn't let you smoke a carton of cigarettes at McDonalds, he doesn't let you carry around an arsenal of guns to "protect yourself", and he forces you to tolerate pedestrian plazas, bike lanes, parks, and a million more trees in NYC.

Yes he is a horrible Mayor. We all see why you hate him.
Notice the operative words here? Aside from the gun control, why does someone have the "right" to tell me what I can or cannot eat/drink? I completely agree with his intentions, don't get me wrong. The nation is suffering from poverty and obesity but when government tells you "you're not allowed" then that's what really ruffles people's feathers. I didn't care for him way back when.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:14 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
If he has stock in Pepsi and his ban means now people will buy 4 more extra sodas, his stock might increase and he'll make more money off of it. Other than that, I don't see how it would make him richer.

this. you just answered your question.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:20 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Bellakin..the reason why anyone is telling you to do anything is because WE (the government) are ultimately responsible for your decisions. You know what happens when you don't have healthcare but show up at the hospital for treatment because you have diabetes from eating fat laden food every day? You get treatment and walk away from the bill, leaving government (Taxpayers) to foot the bill. You know what happens when you smoke yourself into lung cancer at the age of 50 but don't have healthcare or your provider drops you? You walk into a hospital and get treatment for life, and stick the bill to government (taxpayer).

So if you want to know why government has the "right" to tell you what you can eat/drink, it's because after you are done being "free" to eat/drink what you want, and telling the world "nobody can tell me what to do I am my own person and make my own decisions and this is my life", and you get sick from all that "freedom" (aka cartons of cigarettes and big macs), you come knocking on government to take care of you medically and financially, FOR LIFE. What happened to all that "freedom" now? Funny how that works huh?

The day you sign away your right (you hate that word when the government has a right remember?) to medical and financial care for life, is the day you are actually free to do whatever it is you want...because only then are YOU the only one responsible for your decisions and poor choices. Until that time, government will continue having the right to tell you what to do because they are the ones ultimately responsible, not you.

PS- they been telling you what to do for years now.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:50 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djones748 View Post
So since becoming mayor and subsequently the most powerful man in NY (and one of in the country arguably), he hasn't gotten insider trading tips that the regular joe cannot get?

Right-e-o chap...
him being mayor wouldn't effect that at all. his company is one third of the financial data market... if he wanted insider trading tips.. i'm pretty sure he already had them.

now that he is mayor do you think that he walks up to business and say hey give me any details of operations no one knows about or you're going to jail?

right-e-o ol'chap right-e-o indeed

Old 09-20-2012, 02:06 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Bellakin..the reason why anyone is telling you to do anything is because WE (the government) are ultimately responsible for your decisions. You know what happens when you don't have healthcare but show up at the hospital for treatment because you have diabetes from eating fat laden food every day? You get treatment and walk away from the bill, leaving government (Taxpayers) to foot the bill. You know what happens when you smoke yourself into lung cancer at the age of 50 but don't have healthcare or your provider drops you? You walk into a hospital and get treatment for life, and stick the bill to government (taxpayer).

So if you want to know why government has the "right" to tell you what you can eat/drink, it's because after you are done being "free" to eat/drink what you want, and telling the world "nobody can tell me what to do I am my own person and make my own decisions and this is my life", and you get sick from all that "freedom" (aka cartons of cigarettes and big macs), you come knocking on government to take care of you medically and financially, FOR LIFE. What happened to all that "freedom" now? Funny how that works huh?

The day you sign away your right (you hate that word when the government has a right remember?) to medical and financial care for life, is the day you are actually free to do whatever it is you want...because only then are YOU the only one responsible for your decisions and poor choices. Until that time, government will continue having the right to tell you what to do because they are the ones ultimately responsible, not you.

PS- they been telling you what to do for years now.

Why are we being forced?

There is counseling, brochures & ads to do all of those fine things.

This is not a cheap shot at Bloomberg. If bloomberg cared he would have not deflected the question.
The fact is New Yorkers cost of living has skyrocketed & he as Mayor has done nothing about it.

Why would he? He is comfortable because his net worth is beating inflation.

& sure we could argue its a national problem, but in NYC the cost of living is rising faster than any other city. Something is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City