Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:23 PM

594 posts, read 1,634,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
There are still many American people. It is a neighborhood of mixture.
There are the regular amount of kids in the neighborhood as well, as is schools.
Don't worry about racist remarks, this is not school where we all have to be politically correct. it is what it is.

It is regular working class people. nothing more nothing less.
the good thing is we are near the parkway and can get to the city or other parts of Brooklyn really fast, as well as Staten and Long island.
So we are centrally located.

I don't care about the are not being hip and trendy, that is so very not important to me, as I don't want to live anywhere near bars or cafes...................

Google maps us.

Our boundaries are:

14th Ave to Bay Parkway

86th street to the water. It is like a rectangle.
Thanks again for the info. Every time you tell me more about it, I get closer to seriously throwing some roots down there for my wife and 2 kids. I think it would be a great area and I do so appreciate all of your constructive input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 02:33 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Nighcrawler, good info. Thanks for sharing it.

When I buy, which it will be hopefully in 2013, I will be looking into affordable neighborhoods like yours. So I was just wondering;
What would a 2br apt cost you in Bath Beach?

Old 10-22-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post

When I buy, which it will be hopefully in 2013, I will be looking into affordable neighborhoods like yours. So I was just wondering;
I've been seeing most condos going for a pretty big range. Some are around 250's and others can get all the way up to the millions.

I don't know if you can "buy an apartment" there though, I'm pretty sure most sales are all co-op condos, or actual houses. The prices on the co-ops are pretty good, but the monthly fees are pretty steep, as they seem to be everywhere. When I worked it out the cheapest I could get for purchase including community fees and all would be around $2500/month, including feed and property taxes and mortgage, and that was for a 2br condo, which isn't horrible by any means at all.

I might be doing it wrong, but that's what I came up with. Seems to me it's much more affordable to rent.

Check this: http://realestate.classifieds.nypost...uery=undefined

Last edited by RC1981; 10-22-2012 at 03:02 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post

It really depends on the type of building. Some are new construction, some are older buildings gone condo or co-op. Some buildings have elevators, parking, laundry facilities, some allow pets, some do not.

My building is a regular 4 floor walk up, 32 apartments and has gone co-op back in the 80's, even though the maintenance has been going up in the last few years, it is still very, very well affordable for today's standards.

Depending on what your needs are will be the type of building you select.

My building, (while probably not for everyone), suits me fine. I don't mind the stairs, I don't need a doorman, street parking, while horrible, (isn't all of the NYC are parking horrible) is doeable. We as co-op owners are allowed to have a washing machine (Amen to that). We are not allowed dogs. I don't care, I don't want one anyway.

I like the train a block away, it is nice if you are cooking something and need eggs, you just walk up the corner. Every gadget for the house you can get on 86th street.

The walk along the promenade from bay parkway to the pier at 65th Street is a great bicycle workout, amazing sunsets, water views of the bay, the VZ bridge is spectacular.....
the promenade does need to be repaired, other than a few trees planted, nothing has been done to it in 30 years or so.

also, keep in mind "Gravesend", that too is just as nice as Bath Beach, and starts at Bay Parkway and above, google for demographics. but it is also a nice working class neighborhood.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 10-22-2012 at 07:52 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Thanks again for the info. Every time you tell me more about it, I get closer to seriously throwing some roots down there for my wife and 2 kids. I think it would be a great area and I do so appreciate all of your constructive input.
Oh, and on a lighter note. Christmas time you walk around Dyker Heights between 10th Ave - 14th Ave, and 80th Street - 86th Street, and you will see the Christmas Lights on spectacular homes like nothing you have ever seen in your life. People come from all over and park their cars and make a night out of it. There are hundreds of people walking up and down the blocks, little kiddies all over, traffic going 2 miles an hour, cars all backed up in sheer delight of witnessing the most amazing light show on houses, ever. There are live figures walking around, trees lit up from top to bottom, roofs coverd in twinkling lights.......................

It is like walking through a Christmas Wonderland. We go every year like clock work. It is always fun to take relatives there, they just walk around with their mouths op in dis-belief. My FIL for the first time said, I have never seen anything like this in my whole entire life.... ( and he is old, LOL) The nieces and nephews are completely mesmerised by what they see..............

so, I hope I covered everything there is in Bath Beach..............................

Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
I took this pic last year, it's the promenade along the Belt Parkway in Bath Beach......

Old 10-23-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I took this pic last year, it's the promenade along the Belt Parkway in Bath Beach......

I'm in love!!

The deal was already pretty much sealed, but now it's closed shut with hot glue. We're moving to Bath Beach. End of story.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post

this is what i meant, when the tide goes out even further past the rocks you will see the sand sloping down into the ocean. There are times when it goes out even further, there are also times when the wave come crashing over the wall as well.

this past summer there were about 12 old fashioned pilgrim like boats all parked out in the bay, i will try to get pics. Everyone was pulling over and parking and snapping pictures. i think iti was for an even int he city and they were stationed out in our bay

at 20th ave, many moons ago, there was a pier out into the bay with a restaurant on it.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:42 PM

669 posts, read 1,274,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Oh, and on a lighter note. Christmas time you walk around Dyker Heights between 10th Ave - 14th Ave, and 80th Street - 86th Street, and you will see the Christmas Lights on spectacular homes like nothing you have ever seen in your life. People come from all over and park their cars and make a night out of it. There are hundreds of people walking up and down the blocks, little kiddies all over, traffic going 2 miles an hour, cars all backed up in sheer delight of witnessing the most amazing light show on houses, ever. There are live figures walking around, trees lit up from top to bottom, roofs coverd in twinkling lights.......................

It is like walking through a Christmas Wonderland. We go every year like clock work. It is always fun to take relatives there, they just walk around with their mouths op in dis-belief. My FIL for the first time said, I have never seen anything like this in my whole entire life.... ( and he is old, LOL) The nieces and nephews are completely mesmerised by what they see..............

so, I hope I covered everything there is in Bath Beach..............................
I did this a few times when I was a little kid with my parents back in the early 90's I had no idea that neighborhood was bath beach, I remember being in awe of how amazing the decorations were thanks for posting this.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
I meant to rep you for the helpful and detailed post about Bath beach, nightcrawler, but I gotta spread some of it around.
Thanks though. I have to go take a look at some open houses.

Btw, noob question; how do you write a comment when increasing somebody's rep. I always wanted to know that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City