Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
It is not overpriced at all.In fact it is one of the cheapest neighborhood still around.

As far as the stores closing by midnight, good. I like a nice quiet neighborhood at night. I don't want a noisy neighborhood.

if you want activity at midnight, go to the city.
I agree, it's not overpriced. Maybe compared to some small town in another state, but definitely not by NYC standards. I was living on 86th St. and 17th Ave. for 3 years and paid 1k rent for a 1 BR.

There were always bodegas open 24 hours and the pizza shop by me was open until 2am. I don't need shops past midnight and don't know too many people who do, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 AM

255 posts, read 475,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
It is not overpriced at all.In fact it is one of the cheapest neighborhood still around.

As far as the stores closing by midnight, good. I like a nice quiet neighborhood at night. I don't want a noisy neighborhood.

if you want activity at midnight, go to the city.
What does an open store have to do with noise? People do like getting food at 1am without having to walk all the way to a 7/11.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
What does an open store have to do with noise? People do like getting food at 1am without having to walk all the way to a 7/11.
It's called getting a sandwich at the nearest bodega. A lot of them do make sandwiches, ya know. Or going home and making a sandwich yourself. Doesn't exactly require cooking skills.

Bath Beach is not really ideal for the young and partying crowd. Unless your main area of partying is in Bay Ridge. I'm guessing you fall into that category, which is how I could see someone having an issue with it. But it's a primarily family based neighborhood.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
It's called getting a sandwich at the nearest bodega. A lot of them do make sandwiches, ya know. Or going home and making a sandwich yourself. Doesn't exactly require cooking skills.

Bath Beach is not really ideal for the young and partying crowd. Unless your main area of partying is in Bay Ridge. I'm guessing you fall into that category, which is how I could see someone having an issue with it. But it's a primarily family based neighborhood.
WHICH ARE CLOSED BY 11pm. And a lot of the time, there was nothing quick to make in the house. Second, you guessed completely wrong. I'm the complete opposite. Third, the closest 24 hour place a la 7-11 was all the way on 86th under the 25th Avenue subway station. Summertime, I don't care. Winter time, I'd rather not. Hard to believe that the area I live in now in Staten Island (quieter and less dense) has more places open at night.

Most family based neighborhoods HAVE 24 hour locations.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:29 PM

594 posts, read 1,633,812 times
That's interesting what you guys are saying about 24 hour joints, that's actually something I was looking into as well because I do have mild insomnia and sometimes I like to take a stroll and get a bite to eat when I can't sleep.

It's not the kind of thing that would make or break my decision to live in a neighborhood though.

Also, while we're in the neighborhood, I kind of want to ask the same question about Bensonhurst...why is that even cheaper than Bath Beach? All I've heard is great things about it. Is it ok for families too? Hell, if I can save a few hundred a month just by living on the other side of 86th St. then I will...judging by the looks of it though, it looks to be a bit seedier and older, maybe that accounts for the cheaper rents?

Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 PM

I honestly don't know. But I can say it's older. Never heard about problems on that side.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
I used to live there and aside from the overpriced rent and every store south of 86th street being closed by midnight, nothing is wrong.
Wait; Overpriced?

Really?

Can you name a neighborhood that has easy train access, is as safe as Bath beach and isn't overpriced?

Looking foward to seeing what's your answer to that.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post

and that works for me.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:04 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:

an open store at midnight would have people, people make noise, and at night the sound travels. so no the neighborhs dont want to hear that.

what if your 7-11 was closer, than you wouldn't have to walk that far.

but really, if that is a draw back that you cant get food at 1am, (oh you poor thing) or you have ( oh you poor thing) to walk all the way to the nearest 7-11, I would suggest you stock up on food and buy it in bulk at pathmark so (you poor thing), wouldn't have to be trapsing outside at 1am, hoping for a close by food store to be open.

PS: here's a thought, keep a box of cookies in the house, for those emergencies.

we also have a lot of dunkin donuts that are open like 24-7.

and bodegas are all open 24-7, sureley you can find something to eat there.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 PM

Not sure where in Bath Beach you were, but on 18th Ave and 86th there were at least 2 bodegas and Pizza Den that were open past midnight. There were plenty of times I traveled along 86th St. late at night and saw bodegas open or a Dunkin Donuts (there are 3 along 86th St. and one on 18th and 72nd). Let's not forget the Vegas Diner on 86th and 16th Ave. There's also Del Rio Diner on Kings Hwy and W. 12th not far away.

There are places that close all stores down at 6pm or 8pm. So being open till midnight is nothing to whine about.

Bensonhurst is older. It has become predominately Chinese as of late, especially along the N train line. However the area is fairly similar safety wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City