Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:28 AM

9 posts, read 23,157 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm going to study abroad a whole year starting next year(autumn 2013 to be exact). I'm coming from Europe where there are pretty relaxed attitudes about interracial dating for the most part. Now I've gotten out of a very long relationship and have begun to date. Even if I would find a decent girl, I would still be away from her a full year so I am not going to start any serious relationship in the meantime until I start my year abroad.

Which brings me to New York. I've got several offers from various universities and Columbia is one of them.

What I'd like to know is how the interracial dating scene is, not necessarily at Columbia(though if you know, spill the beans) but in the city overall.

I'm not looking for any particular ethnicity, but I enjoy women of all backgrounds and my dating here in Europe has been basically all the colors of the rainbow.

I'd like to continue that. Everyone tells me that America is much more stuck up on race than Europe is(with the possible exception of Islamic immigrants, but its hard to tell these days).

However, is this still true? I imagine that in the rural South and/or for people above a certain age(say, 40) this might still hold. But for folks in urban New York City and around 20-24, is that really so?

Oh, I might mention that I am an academic, slender white young man.
Everyone knows about Asian woman/white man. I've also read that latinas generally are no problem but what about young black women? What about middle eastern young women?

Are there still many hangups? From what I've read and heard, for the ages 40 and above, there are very strong racial patterns in interracial relationships. I was hoping that those would be a lot weaker for people my age(early 20s) and especially in urban centers like NYC. Am I right about this? And if so, to what extent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
Date who you want. No one cares.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 AM

466 posts, read 901,874 times
It's really a non-issue. Differences in culture are more important than differences in race, IMO. People from very traditional families are less likely to date unless they share the same culture and traditions.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:02 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
I've seen plenty of interracial couples. I have to admit I don't totally understand the point of asking the question -- if the answer is no, interracial is not cool here -- are you going to choose a different city?

Old 10-21-2012, 11:07 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,122 times
My kids are already mixed race (I'm white and my wife is hispanic), so I don't really care if they date outside of their race. Might as well add another ingredient to the mix, can't hurt

My wife on the other hand isn't quite so keen on the idea and it's one of the reservations she has about moving to New York. She's terrified that one of our two boys will fall in love with an asian or (even worse) Peruvian (or Mexican or Puerto Rican or Domincan) woman. (Yes, she considers herself a different race than Peruvians, Mexicans, Dominicans, and Puerto Ricans...she's Chilean...it's a long story)

Old 10-21-2012, 12:12 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
My kids are already mixed race (I'm white and my wife is hispanic), so I don't really care if they date outside of their race. Might as well add another ingredient to the mix, can't hurt

My wife on the other hand isn't quite so keen on the idea and it's one of the reservations she has about moving to New York. She's terrified that one of our two boys will fall in love with an asian or (even worse) Peruvian (or Mexican or Puerto Rican or Domincan) woman. (Yes, she considers herself a different race than Peruvians, Mexicans, Dominicans, and Puerto Ricans...she's Chilean...it's a long story)
Many people from South and Central America won't admit it but they have strong prejudices towards black folk or caribbean hispanics... In many cases they consider themselves above those races so it's not surprising that your wife has these feelings... It's unfortunate but it is what it is... I remember when my church began to change from mostly caribbean hispanics to mainly ecuadorean and Mexican and all of a sudden our words and expressions for some simple minded folk were considered inferior... Thankfully, with time, these issues no longer became an issue and the good thing is that now the congregation isn't dominated by mainly one group but rather has a good mix of Puerto Ricans, Ecuadorians, Mexicans, Dominicans, etc. and for the most part we all get along well...

Old 10-21-2012, 12:32 PM

594 posts, read 1,634,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Many people from South and Central America won't admit it but they have strong prejudices towards black folk or caribbean hispanics... In many cases they consider themselves above those races so it's not surprising that your wife has these feelings... It's unfortunate but it is what it is... I remember when my church began to change from mostly caribbean hispanics to mainly ecuadorean and Mexican and all of a sudden our words and expressions for some simple minded folk were considered inferior... Thankfully, with time, these issues no longer became an issue and the good thing is that now the congregation isn't dominated by mainly one group but rather has a good mix of Puerto Ricans, Ecuadorians, Mexicans, Dominicans, etc. and for the most part we all get along well...
She actually doesn't have a problem with a blacks which I find interesting. She just mostly doesn't like asian or Peruvian people. I think in time she could adapt to the Puerto Ricans and Mexicans and such, but the Chinese/Korean/Japanese people, she just doesn't like for some reason.

She admits that it's a completely ignorant prejudice on her part, but she just flat out doesn't like them. I don't get it, but I guess to her it somehow makes sense. Oddly enough though, she's absolutely fine with blacks, unlike most of the rest of the latin community.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:49 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
She actually doesn't have a problem with a blacks which I find interesting. She just mostly doesn't like asian or Peruvian people. I think in time she could adapt to the Puerto Ricans and Mexicans and such, but the Chinese/Korean/Japanese people, she just doesn't like for some reason.

She admits that it's a completely ignorant prejudice on her part, but she just flat out doesn't like them. I don't get it, but I guess to her it somehow makes sense. Oddly enough though, she's absolutely fine with blacks, unlike most of the rest of the latin community.
It probably goes much deeper than that, maybe have something to do with her childhood? Like she lost
her dog when she was a young girl in Chile, and her neighbor was Asian-Chilean.......

Old 10-21-2012, 01:37 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Haha Europe is post-racial? Let me guess, you're white.

But yeah, no one in NY will care at all. There are many more people more important than you to care.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:33 PM

188 posts, read 276,789 times
You wont have a problem finding a BBW, they love your type
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City