Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:46 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
Yes, I saw that jetski guy live yesterday on NBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 03:25 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,821 times
Quote:
I was wondering, being that I recently moved here from Miami if NYC is built to handle flooding and hurricanes?

Is anyone familiar with the infrastructural of NYC drainage system and how much capacity it has.

Also how often has the city gotten these type of storms in the past... It seems that the past 3-4 years Miami & the Florida East Coast has been getting lucky and all the storms seem to travel the gulf to Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi etc, or up the east coast from South Carolina and up.
Ummm... NO!

Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 PM

62 posts, read 109,882 times
No area is really "built" to handle a major coastal storm of any type that involves flooding. It's just too much water flowing inland. Coastal cities are a necessity, but not necessarily a good idea.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:30 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
I was wondering, being that I recently moved here from Miami if NYC is built to handle flooding and hurricanes?

Is anyone familiar with the infrastructural of NYC drainage system and how much capacity it has.
Its not a simple question to answer. NYC has water pumping staions to pump water out of the tunnels. But it can only handle so much until it is overloaded. When they were put in in the early 1900's there was plenty of open ground so water could flow/perk. As time went forward and the city got paved storm drains were installed to make up for the loss of land. The problem with the storm drains today is that people use them to dump trash into and in turn they clog up (usually you'll find them at nearly every corner and most times you'll see garbage sitting them). This is the reason why retail store owners are required to clean from the front of their stores to 18" into the street within an hour of openning for business. NYC has pumping trucks to clean them out, but its very difficult to keep up with it.

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/newyorkcity/Plumbing/PDFs/Chapter%2011_Storm%20Drainage.pdf

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Storm-Drains-Fail-Again-98454374.html

Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 PM

317 posts, read 819,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Its not a simple question to answer. NYC has water pumping staions to pump water out of the tunnels. But it can only handle so much until it is overloaded. When they were put in in the early 1900's there was plenty of open ground so water could flow/perk. As time went forward and the city got paved storm drains were installed to make up for the loss of land. The problem with the storm drains today is that people use them to dump trash into and in turn they clog up (usually you'll find them at nearly every corner and most times you'll see garbage sitting them). This is the reason why retail store owners are required to clean from the front of their stores to 18" into the street within an hour of openning for business. NYC has pumping trucks to clean them out, but its very difficult to keep up with it.

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/newyorkcity/Plumbing/PDFs/Chapter%2011_Storm%20Drainage.pdf

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Storm-Drains-Fail-Again-98454374.html
Thanks for the info. I had no Idea that the garbage in the drain was such a big problem. Actually only a few places in Miami get as flooded as they did here. I think the amount of exposed soil helps Miami out along with the drainage.

I'm also glad I own a bike, its been my mode of transport the past few days.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Actually only a few places in Miami get as flooded as they did here. I think the amount of exposed soil helps Miami out along with the drainage.
Many of the areas in Miami that get flooded dates back to when construction of hotels were built on the eastern side of A1A without major concern for water flow. Other parts get flooded due too much paving and not enough open area left for water to drain off. Many cities have this issue when taking in money for fees and permits outweighs common logic and physics.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:42 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Yes, I saw that jetski guy live yesterday on NBC.
no, I have not watched that video yet but may do so at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City