Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:22 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times

Advertisements

This residency requirement isn't even a big deal. It's a city job...and city jobs have specific requirements. If you don't meet those requirements, that's life...move on and apply for the same job in Westchester county where you currently live!

Having people with skin in the game always means they care more or take better care...it is human nature as jaydata stated. When people live somewhere else (absentee landlords!), they simply don't care as much as owner occupied for example....

I get that it is a free country, and you can live where ever you want. BUT if you want to work for the city in any capacity, you should be required to live in NYC. If NYC is so horrible that you cannot possibly live anywhere here, then you should probably not be working here either...which again goes back to that pervasive attitude of NYC and its residents are animals and should be treated as such. This would help eliminate alot of these people....you love LI? STAY THERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
If you don't meet those requirements, that's life...move on and apply for the same job in Westchester county where you currently live!
How do you address people who have lived in this city their entire life but after a few years of hard work and savings want to move to a place where they can have a yard, better schools for their kids, etc. I tend to agree with you on the people who never lived in the city, but what about those who are natives, but want to move on?

Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 AM

I address it by saying "In order to apply for a NYC employment opportunity, you must reside in the 5 boroughs." Any other questions?

You can be 5 generations living in NYC, but you decided to move to NJ. Congrats. If you want to work for NYC, you must reside there. THE END. You are welcome to apply for city and state jobs in Jersey however!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
You can have a yard in NYC also. And you can send your kids to good schools in the city, or bus them to the suburbs. Better yet, let's try to improve more of the city schools so suburbian schools are not a parent's first choice.
In any case, I agree 100% with Sobroguy on this one. If 'you have lived in this city their entire life but after a few years of hard work and savings want to move " I'd say go right ahead, but make sure it's within the 5 boroughs. Let me suggest, Staten Island. That's the closest we got that resembles LI and Westchester.
Maybe we should make the whole island city worker inhabitated.

This whole discussion is entirely theorical anyway. We know this ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
I personally know of city workers who don't even live in the state, let alone the city. It is what it is.

Last edited by likeminas; 11-16-2012 at 09:23 AM..

Old 11-16-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I address it by saying "In order to apply for a NYC employment opportunity, you must reside in the 5 boroughs." Any other questions?

You can be 5 generations living in NYC, but you decided to move to NJ. Congrats. If you want to work for NYC, you must reside there. THE END. You are welcome to apply for city and state jobs in Jersey however!
You totally didn't get what I'm saying. I'm talking about workers who lived their whole lives here, were hired while residing here, and then and only then after working for awhile, make the decision that they would like to move their families out of the city. Clear enough?

Old 11-16-2012, 11:57 AM

You understood my point at least likemas, it went right over Sobro's head. I just wish he's recognize that his constant use of strawman fallacies fools no one.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:06 PM

Maybe you are not listening to my answer..it was quite clear: As a city employee you are required to live in NYC. If you want to move to Syracuse, Stamford, Shirley, Newark, or Yonkers, be sure to leave your ID on the way out. I am happy that they are ready to move on with their lives and live somewhere outside of the 5 boroughs..it is a big world out there and no need to live in NYC your whole life. BUT it means you can't be a city employee as you must fit the residency requirement. And since we agree it is such a big world out there...no doubt you can find another job!

How is this a strawman? It's a straight, clear policy. Want to work for NYC? YOU HAVE TO LIVE HERE. The end.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:07 PM

297 posts, read 729,676 times
I dont see what difference it makes where they live as long as they live in the State of NY...Not Ct or something. I would think that if you work in a certain precinct then you are pretty much aware of the workings and problems of that area. If I lived in BK and was assigned to precinct in the Bronx how would that make me more in tuned with what is going on in the Bronx than if I lived in Scarsdale?

Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
How do you address people who have lived in this city their entire life but after a few years of hard work and savings want to move to a place where they can have a yard, better schools for their kids, etc. I tend to agree with you on the people who never lived in the city, but what about those who are natives, but want to move on?

yeah, I agree with this, what is the problem. you can like working in the city, but want a home in the suburbs, I don't see anything wrong with that. My parents worked in the City all their working lives, but we lived in Staten Island....My Uncle was apoliceman in brookly and lived in SI alsi,whats the big deal.

we have people working here in brooklyn that live in jersey. so what.

sobro always has a problem.....................

Old 11-16-2012, 01:25 PM

I want to be a doctor....and maybe we should do away with the whole requirements for that too! Hey who needs requirements..anyone can do anything..hooray! Life ain't fair..if you want a city job, you must live in the city. If it is more important for you to live outside of the city, then DONT work for NYC. It's that simple...and life goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City