Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 8,258 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I’m a certified teacher looking to tutor students in standardized tests in Manhattan, NY. I am planning on creating lesson plans for each standardized test that I’m capable of teaching so that I can organize how I want the information to be taught.

The problem is creating lesson plans is very time-consuming so I only what to focus on the standardized test subjects that are most lucrative and most in-demand in Manhattan.

So I was wondering if any of you Manhattan test prep tutors out there can organize the following list of test prep subjects into two categories first: “most lucrative” and “least lucrative.”

By “most lucrative,” I mean test prep subjects that I can charge at least $50 per hour and most potential clients (mostly parents of children) would think that it’s reasonable. In other words, they would say “Wow, that is ridiculously high for tutoring!”

By “least lucrative,” I mean test prep subjects where very few clients would actually pay at minimum $50 per hour for.

Then I also want the list organized into these three categories: “very high in demand,” “moderately in demand,” and “very low in demand.”

very high in demand = you get at least 1 reply a week for it
moderately in demand = you get only 2-3 replies a month for it
very low in demand = you are lucky to even get 1 reply a month for it

So the categories in total are:
1. Most lucrative
2. Least lucrative

Then:

1. Very high in demand
2. Moderately in demand
3. Very low in demand

Any and all replies are welcome. Thank you in advance.

1. SAT
2. SSAT
3. ISEE
4. PSAT
5. SHSAT
6. GED
7. TOEFL
8. ACT
9. AP Calculus Exam
10. AP Statistics Exam
11. GRE
12. GMAT
13. SAT Subject Test - Math Level 1
14. SAT Subject Test – Math Level 2
15. SAT Subject Test - Physics
16. AP Physics Exam
17. Regents - Integrated Algebra
18. Regents - Geometry
19. Regents - Algebra 2 and Trigonometry
20. Regents - Comprehensive English
21. ASVAB
22. Praxis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
GMAT. Forget the rest. Separating future M.B.A.s from their money is like taking candy from a baby, only without the moral quandry.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
New York parents IMHO will spare no expense to get their kids into the specialized high schools--Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, Brooklyn Tech, and the others. That's what we saw at least when ours were 8th graders. And most kids start prepping for this a year earlier. Develop a specialty in this, the SHSAT, and you will do very, very well. There are tons of parents willing to pay to get their kids into these schools.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:01 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
If you are certified in math, you can charge much more than $50 per hour to tutor for one of the math regents or AP exams. You can also earn quite a bit to tutor for the math portion of the SAT, especially if you have a number of years of experience. Retired teachers make out very well with this type of work.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,238 times
I'd say the SATs, THEN the SHSATs.

While people are concerned about what high schools they get into, people are MORE concerned about what colleges they'll get into. My parents did not force me to get in Stuy, Tech, Science (although it was highly suggested) but they worried about whether I got in NYU, etc. High schools are essential for how you'll land a job (depending on reputation) but if you work hard enough and get into a great college, the latter is what's most important and determines how easy you can land a job. I didn't put ACTs because I know people who took the ACTs said it was a piece of cake but they were super stressed out about their SAT scores, so it's more based on what you actually learned, rather than what you need to learn to pass.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:18 AM

Thanks for all your replies so far, but I really want the list I have to be categorized into the: most lucrative, least lucrative category. Then have the list to be categorized into the "very high in demand," "moderately in demand," and "very low in demand." I would really appreciate it if someone with Manhattan test prep tutoring experience will do that for me. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajorman View Post
Thanks for all your replies so far, but I really want the list I have to be categorized into the: most lucrative, least lucrative category. Then have the list to be categorized into the "very high in demand," "moderately in demand," and "very low in demand." I would really appreciate it if someone with Manhattan test prep tutoring experience will do that for me. Thanks.

If you are as rigid and inflexible with students as you appear to be from this post, I don't think you will make a very good tutor.

Take what you can use from what people here have said here and move on.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 AM

I apologize if I seem anal retentive. I really don't mean to do that. I just want to know which test prep subjects are worth my effort in making lesson plans for students and which ones are not. That's all. I consider myself structured and organized, so I just want any organized list. Ok?

Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
A private tutor is expected to work on an individual basis with the student. Better to pre-test your student and then figure out what you need to work on to fit the student's needs, rather than make generic lesson plans. You use broad general lesson plans when you are teaching an entire class. A good test tutor is familiar with the test and how it is scored. He guides the student on how to take it, how much time the student should spend on each section, not just help with content. I get the impression you do not have much private tutoring experience.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Score high enough on the GMATs and you can earn around $100/hr at many of the larger tutoring firms.

For example: GMAT Instructor Job Full Description - Careers at Manhattan GMAT - Manhattan GMAT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: