Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 02:31 PM

398 posts, read 1,392,957 times

Advertisements

From sandy that is. My cousin told me they were doing better. But how do you guys see it? Are your gamely and friends doing better in Staten Island since sandy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 04:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
From sandy that is. My cousin told me they were doing better. But how do you guys see it? Are your gamely and friends doing better in Staten Island since sandy?
Keep in mind that only certain areas of SI were affected (the areas south/east of Hylan Blvd). Much of SI wasn't hit that hard.

In any case, I think that it was mostly the bungaloes in those neighborhoods that were affected, not the regular houses. I went down to Mill Road in Oakwood Beach a few days ago, and since there's a lot of newer construction over there, it basically looked fine. But then going along Midland Avenue in Midland Beach, you saw a lot of homes where it was basically just the shell remaining, and there were full dumpsters next to those houses. I assume they started demolishing some of the homes that they said they would, because it seemed emptier than I was used to. They also have one of those police towers up, which isn't a good sign.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Keep in mind that only certain areas of SI were affected (the areas south/east of Hylan Blvd). Much of SI wasn't hit that hard.

In any case, I think that it was mostly the bungaloes in those neighborhoods that were affected, not the regular houses. I went down to Mill Road in Oakwood Beach a few days ago, and since there's a lot of newer construction over there, it basically looked fine. But then going along Midland Avenue in Midland Beach, you saw a lot of homes where it was basically just the shell remaining, and there were full dumpsters next to those houses. I assume they started demolishing some of the homes that they said they would, because it seemed emptier than I was used to. They also have one of those police towers up, which isn't a good sign.
What are the police towers supposed to mean exactly?

Old 12-09-2012, 04:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
What are the police towers supposed to mean exactly?
Well, they're generally found in high-crime areas, so that's why I said "It's not a good sign". The towers are high up, so they can watch over the whole neighborhood.

My guess is that they're worried about looting and things like that.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Well, they're generally found in high-crime areas, so that's why I said "It's not a good sign". The towers are high up, so they can watch over the whole neighborhood.

I thought it had something to do with that.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:39 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,215,130 times
Default Found this factoid

Staten Island:
per capita income $23,905
470,000 citizens
($11,280,000,000)
102 square miles
(+/- 4600 per Sq Mi)

Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,999,435 times
Quote:

This is by no means a high-crime area. It is a family-oriented area. The high towers are there to stop looters from the ghetto areas of the rest of the city.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:47 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,999,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Staten Island:
per capita income $23,905
470,000 citizens
($11,280,000,000)
102 square miles
(+/- 4600 per Sq Mi)
Please see my entry on City Data/Do you guys think Staten Island will break off from the city.......so you can educate yourself?

Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
SI will recover faster than Haiti.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 PM

387 posts, read 680,627 times
It's slow going, yes there are many new houses in the affected areas but those houses had first floors & basements & were all damaged. Living in New Dorp beach I witnessed the storm surge first hand & the waters did not spare many, wether it be a 100 year oldbungalow or a 1 year old home & everything in between.

Anything between Ebbitts street & Seaview ave sustained massive damageon the east shore. I'm not too sure what's going on with places like Tottenville & Pleasant plains where homes were just hammered by the water.

Areas like Great kills, bay terrace, oakwood & Oakwood beach were heavily damaged like my areas & are still rebuilding Fox beach is gone.

By no means is the crsis over. Some areas were damaged worse than others. This will take years to fully recover from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City