Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Everybody including people with no income need to file their tax returns. Telling a LL that you dont file is a big red flag, as it speaks of how responsible you might be.

Most LL (if not all) will ask for documentation on your financials, refusing to provide it will just narrow your pool of available places to rent.
When my girlfriend and I just got our apartment, she has never had a job in her life, just her current one, so she had no tax returns, no w-2s or anything. Saying i've never had to file one would be a more appropriate thing to say than i don't file, as like you said, that's a red flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 12:11 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
not everyone wants to go sit in their bathroom to smoke. Especially 30 times a day.
If your're a smoker where do skinnayyy smoke then? In the living room or even worse in the bedroom. I'm not judging if smoke all over your apt but I personally need a fresh apartment air quality. Have you ever been in a car when it's really cold and the heater is on full force and cats are smoking with no windows open, be my guest.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
When my girlfriend and I just got our apartment, she has never had a job in her life, just her current one, so she had no tax returns, no w-2s or anything. Saying i've never had to file one would be a more appropriate thing to say than i don't file, as like you said, that's a red flag.
I wouldn't give any of this information to rent an apartment. If I was forced to, then they will be fake.

Only the IRS or the bank giving me my MORTGAGE need to see my financials and tax returns.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:21 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
If during that time she was a depedant on somebody else tax return (parents maybe?) she didn't need file on her own.
I don't know if that was her situation, but in any case, it's better to say 'I didn't need to file due to X reason' than 'I don't file'.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM

266 posts, read 402,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why do you care? His credit is good and pays his bills. What's the problem?? He might put his money where Romney puts his - in offshore accounts, IRAs and other investments.
And why do YOU care where Romney puts his funds? "Because he was going to have control over MY money..."
And why do the landlords care where YOU put YOUR funds? Because you are going to have control over THEIR money...

They run a business, and are only right to investigate who they are doing business with. You're forgetting that even though you are apparently able to make the payments despite not meeting their requirements, lying and deception says a lot about your character. They don't want to do business with scummy people, and I can't blame them.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I wouldn't give any of this information to rent an apartment. If I was forced to, then they will be fake.

Only the IRS or the bank giving me my MORTGAGE need to see my financials and tax returns.
By forcing, you mean a L/L would twist your arm or put a gun to your head?
If you don't like the requirements (ie; documents needed to rent) you are free to look for a place that doesn't ask for them. If you know you are right, why do you need to lie? Nobody is FORCING you to rent anything, actually.

Also, altering a financial instrument (tax return) might be a punishable crime, do you really need to get in that kind of trouble to rent a place you cannot afford?

Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
I know that brokers/landlords require applicants to have a yearly income that's at least 40x the monthly rent. My boyfriend and I are looking for apartments that are no more than $2,000 a month, meaning we have to make at least $80,000 a year. Our combined income is currently $70,000.

Has anyone ever lied on their rental application to avoid a guarantor? I can photoshop my paystubs and have my company's accountant back me up if need be.
I wouldn't lie about it. Since you are only $10K "short" in income and $500 short a month in rent money (one person even already figured out you should pay no more than $1,500 on 70K), I think it would be better for you to figure out if you can indeed pay that extra $500. Do you have few credit card, etc., bills? Right now are you able as a couple to save $500 a month with no sweat? Then if you really feel comfortable with that, don't lie to the landlord but make the case for why you can pay $2K a month consistently even if you don't technically meet the 40x standard. If you're not mired in other debt, etc., and have good references, maybe the landlord will have no problem with it.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:06 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
It baffles me that people would try to lie their way into a place they cannot afford. It's representative of a larger problem with the American mindset. We get in over our heads financially and ultimately create more problems because we are trying to possess things we can't readily afford.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:14 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
And why do YOU care where Romney puts his funds? "Because he was going to have control over MY money..."
I must be one of the few people in the country who did NOT give a crap where Romney put his money. We know he's rich and of course, he used rich man tax loopholes.

Quote:
And why do the landlords care where YOU put YOUR funds? Because you are going to have control over THEIR money...
Check my credit, call my job and prior landlord references, looking at my prior tax returns or bank statements is NONE OF HIS BUSINESS. He's just RENTING to me.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:21 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Younglove..if you don't file taxes and don't have a bank account (or allege this to be true), you would not be renting from me. Those are big warning signs IMO, as likeminas stated above.

There is no doubt that there are LLs who don't care about any documentation, and simply rent to the first person who shows up with cash. This kind of LL usually cares little, if at all, for the property or the tenants, and will fill it with horrendous tenants. If a LL cares enough to maintain stringent criteria, don't you think the quality of tenant, property, and your experience in this building will be significantly better?

If I show up at a place and the LL simply wants cash and doesn't care about anything else, that is a big warning sign for tenants!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City