Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,034,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
By forcing, you mean a L/L would twist your arm or put a gun to your head?
If you don't like the requirements (ie; documents needed to rent) you are free to look for a place that doesn't ask for them. If you know you are right, why do you need to lie? Nobody is FORCING you to rent anything, actually.

Also, altering a financial instrument (tax return) might be a punishable crime, do you really need to get in that kind of trouble to rent a place you cannot afford?
I wouldn't "alter" my real ones and I would never do this to BORROW money, so there's no crime.

I also wouldn't rent a place I couldn't afford. I just don't believe in giving someone I'm RENTING from my tax documents and financials. No other city does this crap. NYC only gets away with it, because people have duped themselves into believing that this is okay and it's not. Never has been.

Okay, what about the GUARANTOR needing to make 80 or 120 times the rent?? In whose world (outside of NYC) is this even considered "normal"??

Thank goodness this guarantor thing is only relegated to Manhattan and certain parts of downtown Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,322,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I wouldn't "alter" my real ones and I would never do this to BORROW money, so there's no crime.

I also wouldn't rent a place I couldn't afford. I just don't believe in giving someone I'm RENTING from my tax documents and financials. No other city does this crap. NYC only gets away with it, because people have duped themselves into believing that this is okay and it's not. Never has been.

Okay, what about the GUARANTOR needing to make 80 or 120 times the rent?? In whose world (outside of NYC) is this even considered "normal"??

Thank goodness this guarantor thing is only relegated to Manhattan and certain parts of downtown Brooklyn.
Not necessarily. My mom did it for my younger brother and that was in Queens ... also was over 5 years ago.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Younglove..if you don't file taxes and don't have a bank account (or allege this to be true), you would not be renting from me. Those are big warning signs IMO, as likeminas stated above.

There is no doubt that there are LLs who don't care about any documentation, and simply rent to the first person who shows up with cash. This kind of LL usually cares little, if at all, for the property or the tenants, and will fill it with horrendous tenants. If a LL cares enough to maintain stringent criteria, don't you think the quality of tenant, property, and your experience in this building will be significantly better?

If I show up at a place and the LL simply wants cash and doesn't care about anything else, that is a big warning sign for tenants!!!
There are landlords who take in tenants with the understanding that the tenant is NOT going to be the one paying all (or even most of) the rent. Welfare, Section 8, divorces where one spouse never worked and the other one is stuck paying alimony, sugar daddies paying for their young GF's apartment, etc. That would be a reason for the LL not to care if the tenant files taxes or has a bank account.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:01 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,909,517 times
Quote:

I was specefically addressing your point where you say 'if forced to, I would fake it' . The fact of the matter, Marilyn, is that nobody will force you to rent anything. If you refuse to provide the financial documents they require...No problem, somebody else will.
NYC has one (if not the) lowest rate of apartment vacancies in the country. This is one of the reasons why 'NYC gets away with it' as you say. Supply is limited and demand is very high.
Renting an apartment is a business transaction. Some business transactions require that you disclose some information, if don't, then you got no business. Simple as that....

Old 11-30-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Not necessarily. My mom did it for my younger brother and that was in Queens ... also was over 5 years ago.
How far out in Queens? Was the neighborhood close to Manhattan?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
And the main issue with the idea that you are "just renting the place" is that in NYC U ARE NOT JUST RENTING A PLACE. You are theoretically a lifetime commitment + future generations in some cases.
I have a question about this. I thought it was only apartments under rent control/rent stabilization where the LL has to renew the lease and has to, when the original tenant dies, keep the original tenant's relatives who lived with him. But the way you write this, I am wondering, does this mean LLs of ALL apartments have to make a lifelong commitment to the tenant and/or tenant's future generations?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
How far out in Queens? Was the neighborhood close to Manhattan?
Forest Hills.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I was specefically addressing your point where you say 'if forced to, I would fake it' . The fact of the matter, Marilyn, is that nobody will force you to rent anything. If you refuse to provide the financial documents they require...No problem, somebody else will.
Well, of course, no one can "force" me to, but if by chance this nonsense spreads across the country and I have no choice, then yeah... fake tax and financial documents.

Paystubs, credit/background check, prior landlord references and calling employer is all that I am "comfortable" with.

Quote:
NYC has one (if not the) lowest rate of apartment vacancies in the country. This is one of the reasons why 'NYC gets away with it' as you say. Supply is limited and demand is very high.
Renting an apartment is a business transaction. Some business transactions require that you disclose some information, if don't, then you got no business. Simple as that....
Goodness! I feel like Keanu Reeves in the original Matrix movie.

Soon NYC LL's will be making "demands" to be "facebook friends" with and to follow tenants on twitter.

I guess until the Housing Tenant court makes evictions easier, then what you call "stringent" pre-rental pactices will continue and probably get much worse.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I have a question about this. I thought it was only apartments under rent control/rent stabilization where the LL has to renew the lease and has to, when the original tenant dies, keep the original tenant's relatives who lived with him. But the way you write this, I am wondering, does this mean LLs of ALL apartments have to make a lifelong commitment to the tenant and/or tenant's future generations?
Good question. I want to know this as well.

I was always under the impression new tenants were exempt from this.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Forest Hills.
Nice area. I thought you were going to say Astoria, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst or even Roosevelt Island.

Could your younger brother not afford to pay his rent on his own? How was his credit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City