Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:53 AM

176 posts, read 730,274 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I like your thoughts on Canarsie Brooklyn, in the 90's it was mostly Italian. Now it is mostly West Indian. While there are areas of Canarsie that is gone down hill the majority of it is still in the same condition it was years ago. There are middle class families that own these homes and takes care of their property, there are plenty of elemtentary schools all over and driving through the neighborhoods it's like the suburbs. So why now is it being called the ghetto? I bought a home here in 2007 and it is quiet and clean only a few blocks to pier and Paerdegat area. Is it because blacks moved in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:18 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
Hi all,

I like your thoughts on Canarsie Brooklyn, in the 90's it was mostly Italian. Now it is mostly West Indian. While there are areas of Canarsie that is gone down hill the majority of it is still in the same condition it was years ago. There are middle class families that own these homes and takes care of their property, there are plenty of elemtentary schools all over and driving through the neighborhoods it's like the suburbs. So why now is it being called the ghetto? I bought a home here in 2007 and it is quiet and clean only a few blocks to pier and Paerdegat area. Is it because blacks moved in?
Yes,pretty much just because the "demographic" has changed.It's not just Carnarsie but virtually any neighborhood in the city that has undergone a similar shift ,so don't feel too bad.
It doesn't matter that the streets are actually cleaner than they were "in the old days" or that crime in the neighborhood is way lower than it was "in the old days" or that the houses now sell at prices beyond the reach of the people who lived in "the old neighborhood" or even that some of the neighborhoods have actually gone from being poorer working class white neighborhoods to more actual middle class than they were "in the old days."
None of it matters.If it has switched from being an almost exclusively white neighborhood to majority black or hispanic neighborhood it gets labeled as a ghetto neighborhood or a neighborhood "in decline"...especially by the ones who used to live there. I guess they have to keep justifying their abandonment of the place.
This seems particularly true in formerly Italian or Irish neighborhoods that undergo the shift.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:41 AM

176 posts, read 730,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Yes,pretty much just because the "demographic" has changed.It's not just Carnarsie but virtually any neighborhood in the city that has undergone a similar shift ,so don't feel too bad.
It doesn't matter that the streets are actually cleaner than they were "in the old days" or that crime in the neighborhood is way lower than it was "in the old days" or that the houses now sell at prices beyond the reach of the people who lived in "the old neighborhood" or even that some of the neighborhoods have actually gone from being poorer working class white neighborhoods to more actual middle class than they were "in the old days."
None of it matters.If it has switched from being an almost exclusively white neighborhood to majority black or hispanic neighborhood it gets labeled as a ghetto neighborhood or a neighborhood "in decline"...especially by the ones who used to live there. I guess they have to keep justifying their abandonment of the place.
This seems particularly true in formerly Italian or Irish neighborhoods that undergo the shift.
Thanks that is what I thought, because I used to live in Sheapshead Bay with alot of the same characteristics and they do not call it ghetto and I've been to certain part where you would be scared. It's sad but I believe I made a great investment it is close to Belt PKWy, close to Queens, JKF and LI. It is peaceful and clean and quiet and I have tons of parks for my girls to play in. Those that didnt leave was the Chinese people they are still living comfortable and happy, I jog with them in the park every morning and I have about 4 that live on my block alone.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
..... It is peaceful and clean and quiet and I have tons of parks for my girls to play in. Those that didnt leave was the Chinese people they are still living comfortable and happy, I jog with them in the park every morning and I have about 4 that live on my block alone.
That's all that should matter really... convenient,peaceful,clean and quiet.You are there every day so you know.
It's hard but try not to pay attention to those who use the ghetto label.Much of it is simple racism and half of them have probably never even been to Carnarsie and couldn't even point it out on a map.Their negative views are often the result of what they have heard rather than what they have actually seen or experienced.I live in the Bronx and the whole borough is viewed as a run down ghetto even though there are many very nice middle class neighborhoods.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:44 PM

7 posts, read 15,953 times
I live in Canarise and can only speak for myself.I am African American and love this neighborhood .I feel that we are looked at so bad because of crime .We are the answer to all wrong but the truth is if yu will look at it like that you have to look at the whole spectrum.More African Americans came in, Police ...well the complete opposite they left.I mean it hurts so much to be looked in as the "problem."

Old 01-11-2010, 08:21 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I wouldn't fret about it. Like bluedog said, "ghetto" is often used when a neighborhood shifts to a majority minority. Sad, really, because nowadays, the minorities that are moving in make the same (and more) money as the previous occupants. Minorities too want to live in good neighborhoods, and if they have the green, then they should go where they want.

My old neighborhood, Co Op City, was coined ghetto because over the years the demographicd shifted from White to Black, Latino, and everything in between. Never mind the fact that many of the minority families that moved to Co Op City were middle classed and simply wanted to raise their children in a quiet, decent environment. I bet you, you'd be able to sell your property and make money, regardless. I did!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,898 times
Plain and simple,the houses may still be kept up and there are some pockets that have extremely nice homes(The Flatlands,The Paerdegats) but to compare it to old Canarsie is ridiculous.There were very few muggings,shootings,murders and general hardcore type crimes back when I was growing up in the 70s and mid 80s there. Occasionally a mob hit but that was between them. Innocents weren't hurt.Rockaway Parkway from Bayview Projects to Rockaway Parkway L (Then LL) was safe to walk at any time of night when I was growing up.Try doing that walk at 2 a.m. now.
To put in context I recently met a girl I knew from Starrett City who moved to Canarsie in the late 90s.The fact she is black has no bearing on the fact that even she told me it's crazy out there now and she was referring to the influx of people from the Carribean nations.Or as a friend I have who was one of the few whites left on his street (Brook Condo complex) told me. "It's a bloodbath out here" If you have any doubts find the crime statistics from the 69th precinct pre-mid 90s and look at the same statistics now and you will notice a drastic jump in felony type crimes. Just the facts as I know (and have seen them) Certainly not trying to offend anyone.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:05 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
Plain and simple,the houses may still be kept up and there are some pockets that have extremely nice homes(The Flatlands,The Paerdegats) but to compare it to old Canarsie is ridiculous.There were very few muggings,shootings,murders and general hardcore type crimes back when I was growing up in the 70s and mid 80s there. Occasionally a mob hit but that was between them. Innocents weren't hurt.Rockaway Parkway from Bayview Projects to Rockaway Parkway L (Then LL) was safe to walk at any time of night when I was growing up.Try doing that walk at 2 a.m. now.
To put in context I recently met a girl I knew from Starrett City who moved to Canarsie in the late 90s.The fact she is black has no bearing on the fact that even she told me it's crazy out there now and she was referring to the influx of people from the Carribean nations.Or as a friend I have who was one of the few whites left on his street (Brook Condo complex) told me. "It's a bloodbath out here" If you have any doubts find the crime statistics from the 69th precinct pre-mid 90s and look at the same statistics now and you will notice a drastic jump in felony type crimes. Just the facts as I know (and have seen them) Certainly not trying to offend anyone.
What are you talking about? Crime is down in all categories from 1990 to 2009.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:54 AM

190 posts, read 684,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
If you have any doubts find the crime statistics from the 69th precinct pre-mid 90s and look at the same statistics now and you will notice a drastic jump in felony type crimes. Just the facts as I know (and have seen them) Certainly not trying to offend anyone.
Funny you should mention that, here are the crime stats for the 69th precinct (which cover from 1990 to present); notice the drastic drops in various crimes:

http://nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/p...s/cs069pct.pdf

90% drop in Grand Larceny auto theft
82.8% drop in burglaries

Old 01-15-2010, 02:37 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times
i think alot just dosnt get reported......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City