Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,676 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I'm attending Baruch College. I know it is a business school and most people who attend this college major in either Accounting or Finance. However, I am interested in Political science more than the business-related majors. I don't know if I should major in one of the majors from BBA or political science.

The problems that's bothering me are both sides are,
Compare political science with business-related majors, like marketing and finance, I am more interested in political science. I have been told that BBA is way overrated, except for accounting, most theories that you learn in business classes are theories only. I personally agree with that! There are some articles on newspaper pointed out that bacholer degree of BBA is not that useful in terms of its practical way in business field.

I know that most big companies don't care about your major while recruiting people. They want smart people regardless of the majors. But I don't actually know how most employers think. That bother me a lot!
I really don't think that if I major on political science, I can't do the business related job. As I really think college is a place that teach you how to think and analyze things. I even think that writing skill and analytics skills would help me for the job. The problem is that I am keep thinking that I am attending a business school! And some other people said BBA is the most valuable degree nowadays, BA (bachalor of art or science degree) actually is not that popular to employers.

Can anyone please give me some advices on this major? I have asked many of my friends and some of them told me to major in whatever I'm interested or I would regret. Some said since I'm in a business school. (Really! majority of my schoolmates are business or finance major") Maybe I should better off major in business. And a BBA can help me to open more gates to internship and job?

Anyone who had similar experience or who has work experiences can give some advices that what should I do? Thank you very much!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,438 times
I would consider a double major if I were in your shoes.

Worst thing you can do is spend four years and thousands of dollars on a degree that is not marketable and will not help you get a GOOD JOB.

Honestly, I don't know many people who were able to find solid work with a political science degree.

Another alternative would be to get a minor in political science and major in either economics or finance.

And lastly.....DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO MINIMIZE STUDENT LOANS. AVOID THEM COMPLETELY IF YOU CAN.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 PM

287 posts, read 593,846 times
Yes it does for the most part. But there are many instances where people have jobs that had nothing to do with what they majored in college.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,541,583 times
Poli Sci is pretty useless major. If you like PS, minor in or it, just take classes in it, but major in something useful and more marketable. I actually majored in Poli Sci, but I was in a BA-MD program which let you major in anything since you are automatically guaranteed admission into med school from high school. I therefore had the luxury of majoring in something that interested me although it was essentially useless.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
This doesn't apply to all jobs but I know that a fair amount of employers just want to see if you have a degree so they know that you can commit to a challenge.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 AM

106,705 posts, read 108,880,922 times
except for something like accounting usually your degree only gets you in the door .

we are an electrical engineering firm but because most business's today have their own nitch what they learned in school still makes them pretty useless to us.

all the degree does is show they have the capacity and commitment to learn. a little back ground in electrical helps but we still have to pretty much teach them from scratch.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Poli-Sci is a good major if you pair it as a double major with something relevant or want to go to law school. That's about it.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,724 times
Poli Sci by itself is useless.

If you really want to get into politics, you need a law degree.

Another thing--I know this is just a message board, but it irks me to see someone talking about their writing skills in a post full of spelling errors and other solecisms. Tighten up your act: you'll thank me in the long run.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Another thing--I know this is just a message board, but it irks me to see someone talking about their writing skills in a post full of spelling errors and other solecisms. Tighten up your act: you'll thank me in the long run.
I've seen a few other posters like this lately--including one who plans on teaching. Simply frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City