Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:17 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There aren't too many in the suburbs, either. Working class, yes. But not poor. NYC suburbs are expensive places to be poor.

(I'm thinking mostly of Long Island, some of old NJ suburbs might have a bit of white poverty)
You do indeed have outright poor areas of LI, full of a lot of minimum wage or close to it workers. Particularly in Suffolk.

Certain parts of Queens have a low class white populations. Traditionally areas like Maspeth, Collegepoint, Whitestone, etc were low income whites.

There are a lot of poor whites still in South Brooklyn, Russian, other Eastern European, Italian. Coney Island and Brighton Beach areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I'm not too familiar with the Bronx or Staten Island but by the late 80s and early 90s most of the poor working class areas in manhattan had already converted from being majority white to either mixed or full blown black/hispanic by that time... Hell's Kitchen was probably one of the last areas in Manhattan that had a significant poor working class white population but by that time it had a significant black/hispanic population as well...
Eh, for the hell of it, might as well throw in my 2 cents about SI as well.

In 1990, the poorest neighborhoods in SI were mostly a mixture of Blacks & Whites (maybe slightly more Blacks than Whites), with some Hispanics (mostly Puerto Rican). So in terms of numbers, maybe 45% Black, 40% White, 15% Hispanic, give or take. The only exception to that rule would be Park Hill (which was mostly Black), and the projects north of the expressway (which had more Whites than there are today, but they were generally something like 8% back then vs. 5% now, so they weren't an even split between Blacks & Whites). The 3 projects south of the expressway were something like 65% White back in 1990.

There are other areas that are more working-class/lower middle class, and most of them were mostly White. (Generally ranging from 60% to 90%). Of course, there were a couple of exceptions back then (the western part of New Brighton & SW Mariners' Harbor were a mixture of Black & White, with some Hispanics, and then there's a more suburban part of Park Hill that was mostly Black, with some Hispanics & Whites).

Nowadays, all of the poorer areas have a noticable Hispanic population (ranging from around 20% to 60%, and there are more Mexicans than there were back then), with a White population of around 10%, and the rest being Black. The more working class/lower middle class areas are generally something like 40% Hispanic, 30% White, 25% Black, 5% Asian. The exception would probably be the areas that were flooded by Hurricane Sandy with the bungalows, which are mostly White (generally, about 75% White, 15% Hispanic, 8% Asian, 2% Black).

I figure I might as well add this in as well. A couple of years ago, Port Richmond was mentioned as an area where a lot of racial tensions occur with Blacks & PR beating up Mexicans (Personally, I don't really think those were racial tensions, but whatever). Well, there's a few issues with that. Most of these incidents happened in the northern part of the neighborhood, not the whole neighborhood. And second of all, people talk about how the neighborhood used to be a Black neighborhood (and they're upset that Mexicans are moving in and yadda yadda yadda) when it wasn't. Even if we just isolate the northern part (because the southern part was mostly White), like I said, back in 1990, it was pretty much an even split between Blacks & Whites. There were more Blacks than Whites, but I don't think you could've really qualified it as a Black neighborhood back then.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garonick View Post
Still would like to know what the lower income or slum white areas of the 50's and 60's were.

Guessing Brownsville/Hell's Kitchen/South Brooklyn were three of them.
Also Upper West Side, and in the 1940-1950s, Brooklyn Heights.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-19-2013, 03:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Not that I don't believe you, but do you have the source for Brooklyn Heights?

In any case, you can probably add the LES & East Harlem back then. It took a while before the PR population really built up in those areas, so those were probably poor white areas in the 1950s & 60s. (Well, maybe not as much in the 60s).

Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Not that I don't believe you, but do you have the source for Brooklyn Heights?

In any case, you can probably add the LES & East Harlem back then. It took a while before the PR population really built up in those areas, so those were probably poor white areas in the 1950s & 60s. (Well, maybe not as much in the 60s).
East Harlem was still majorly PR in the 60s.

I'll try to find it, but a lot of brownstones in Brooklyn Heights were turned into SROs which attracted a lower income transient population. As the neighborhood regained its statures the SROs were reverted back to 1 or 2 family residences.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:35 AM

650 posts, read 701,933 times
Quote:
East Harlem was still majorly PR in the 60s.

I'll try to find it, but a lot of brownstones in Brooklyn Heights were turned into SROs which attracted a lower income transient population. As the neighborhood regained its statures the SROs were reverted back to 1 or 2 family residences.
Gowanus or Boerum Hill, not Brooklyn Heights.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:37 AM

650 posts, read 701,933 times
Quote:
UWS as West Side Story area now Lincoln Center?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:54 AM

579 posts, read 945,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would say in the Bronx all of the formerly poor white neighborhoods have been taken over by people of color. Yes there is a contigent of poor whites in lots of white nabes, but the only near poor white neighborhood is Edgewater Park..it is literally a trailer park in the Bronx (and not the only one). It is the last vestige of what a poor white neighborhood used to be, and the only reason it remains that way is because, like Silver Beach, it is privately owned and therefore they do not rent/sell to "outsiders" (otherwise known as black and brown folks).

I can't speak for the rest of the city.
I agree. In Bedford Park in the 60's and 70's for example, there were white ghettos like Villa Avenue (Italian) and E 198 St. (Irish) that are now predominantly hispanic. Back then the apartments on the Concourse was where you strived to live.

Now, I think it's true that poor whites live in the same neighborhoods as poor blacks and hispanics for the most part.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Gowanus or Boerum Hill, not Brooklyn Heights.
Specifically Brooklyn Heights. A lot of those brownstones were converted to SROs.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
UWS as West Side Story area now Lincoln Center?
No. Upper West Side in the 80s - 90s along Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City