Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

i would never even attempt to guess the effect on homes or rents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That is just SO sad, it makes my eyes tear up.
well rich or poor uncle sam gets enough without anyone paying more then what is do.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
There is no need to guess. Just look at rental listings in craigslist and various realtor websites. They are very attractive.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:32 AM

11 posts, read 28,133 times
There are two problems with this in my view - a. Insane taxes imposed by the government b. The fact that people are willingly buying assets that cost them so much. I call it the "rich wanna be" effect. A lot of people try to get the more expensive items, leases, etc, in order to appear wealthier, especially in NYC.

It's sad that people don't save enough. I just graduated with an MA this summer and started working full time in September. I have a considerable amount saved - about 5 of my monthly salaries - because I am paying off loans and I know that if I lose my job, I will still have to keep paying off those school loans.

I studied economics in undergrad and grad school. Basically people spend to maximize their own utility/happiness. But, if our current generation stopped for a bit and saved more/spent less for some time, not only would they benefit, but future generations as well. Then why don't people do it? Basically a form of selfishness and caring for the wellbeing of oneself more than of others.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:32 AM

Most of the decent stuff is broker only. The craigs stuff is usually what i would call 2nd tier in apartments.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamedWings View Post
There are two problems with this in my view - a. Insane taxes imposed by the government b. The fact that people are willingly buying assets that cost them so much. I call it the "rich wanna be" effect. A lot of people try to get the more expensive items, leases, etc, in order to appear wealthier, especially in NYC.

It's sad that people don't save enough. I just graduated with an MA this summer and started working full time in September. I have a considerable amount saved - about 5 of my monthly salaries - because I am paying off loans and I know that if I lose my job, I will still have to keep paying off those school loans.

I studied economics in undergrad and grad school. Basically people spend to maximize their own utility/happiness. But, if our current generation stopped for a bit and saved more/spent less for some time, not only would they benefit, but future generations as well. Then why don't people do it? Basically a form of selfishness and caring for the wellbeing of oneself more than of others.
I will add most folks are just plain financially ignorant.

a penny saved is a penny earned but unless you take an interest in investing and planning it will always be a penny. real wealth is developed over decades of capital gains not the little bit we manage to save from our pay.

it is that little bit we manage to save that compounds and grows. . .

Old 02-01-2013, 08:36 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,838,435 times
Hard to keep up when the Gov. prints it faster than we can save.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Agree with craigs being second tier. Still rents are attractive. IMO still beats buying into a lifestyle that cannot be sustained especially in times of personal crisis.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:51 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
^3 is it just ignorance or also the fact that
you can't build any wealth or capital gains
off pennies?

it's ridiculous to even think it.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:02 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I agree that it isn't just the destitute who we know have no cushion, it is an epidemic with those who have decent paying jobs too. And that's not to say they can't manage their money well necessarily, but the cost to live in this city like a human being (or as close to it as possible) drains away savings.

For those who live in this city, it should come as no suprise that many people live on the edge, and any unexpected expense, job loss, death, etc leaves them 30 days from borrowing from friends and family/not paying rent and even bankruptcy/government assistance etc.

And I agree with mathjak...that if you cannot consistently maintain 6 months of living expenses (including everything), then you should definitely not be a homeowner in NYC. People stretch too far, and get caught up..it happens to the best of us.
Since the vast majority of NY'ers don't own to begin with,the lesson is not necessarily about not owning unless you can maintain a 6 month cushion.The lesson for most NY'ers should be about not spending more on rent than will allow you to build and maintain a comfortable savings cushion.

The bigger problem in NYC is people getting way over their heads financially in order to live in neighborhoods they really can't afford to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City