Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
You're doing it yourself right now.
That's the problem with such viewpoints.
Ironically, it is such opinions that will feed into the really authoritative management of the problems under discussion here. It's related somehow, have not figured it out. Something about the lack of critical understandings in favor of "pc" insistences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No, I did not say you or any of the others were unchangable scum of the earth that could never change no matter what happens in life.

I said the attitude of some people here stinks and they have issues.

I did not dehumanize whole groups of people and say that were incapable of learning things or change no matter what the circumstances.
This person is not from here, as someone else already speculated.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This person is not from here, as someone else already speculated.
What does me being from here or not have to do with anything?

I said some people on here act like vile people who like to completely trash whole categories of people for no reason.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Re: Chicago since demolishing the projects (from a friend who lives there)

Q. How are the people faring being integrated into other communities?

A. Not well, for the most part. They built mixed income housing that only the five star CHA tenants qualified for. I believe that may have been ten percent of tenants. Most of the tenants were directed, with section 8 vouchers, to CERTAIN neighborhoods. The neighborhoods (Roseland, Englewood, Austin) were already under-resourced, and the timing with the start of the recession put these communities in a tailspin. Also many of the tenants moved to houses in low income suburbs (Phoenix, Dalton, Calumet City, Riverdale, Harvey), and these ppl did not have cars. Working class and working poor in the suburbs are not happy about this. Crime has gone up in all of these areas and there is a lot of resentment. It has trickled into the school system from what I understand. However, the city "looks" better, now that some of those hulking eyesores are gone. What they don't realize (or maybe they do) is that the removal of the projects and shifting of families doesn't solve the fundamental problem.
Do you have any information besides a friend who lives there? Because someone else can have a friend who think the demolition of the housing projects is the greatest thing to happen to Chicago. Any statistical evidence that crime has gone up?

Have there been studies done on the dislocated former housing project residents? Do the same percentage of them have jobs, or do a higher percentage of them have jobs? Or a lower percentage/ Has anyone polled the former housing project residents to see if they think their lives are better?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:11 AM

Nothing in that article says those murders are connected to the housing project demolition.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Nothing in that article says those murders are connected to the housing project demolition.
In fact, the article says its the highest number of murders in Chicago in more than 10 years. That doesn't say its the worst murders in one year ever. So Chicago has had higher numbers of murders when the projects will still around. That doesn't say anything either, and that's why I was asking if a anyone could reference studies or books on the matter.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
What does me being from here or not have to do with anything?
There are huge areas of things about which you speak but have no actual idea.
That's what it has to do with everything.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Re: Chicago since demolishing the projects (from a friend who lives there)

Q. How are the people faring being integrated into other communities?

A. Not well, for the most part. They built mixed income housing that only the five star CHA tenants qualified for. I believe that may have been ten percent of tenants. Most of the tenants were directed, with section 8 vouchers, to CERTAIN neighborhoods. The neighborhoods (Roseland, Englewood, Austin) were already under-resourced, and the timing with the start of the recession put these communities in a tailspin. Also many of the tenants moved to houses in low income suburbs (Phoenix, Dalton, Calumet City, Riverdale, Harvey), and these ppl did not have cars. Working class and working poor in the suburbs are not happy about this. Crime has gone up in all of these areas and there is a lot of resentment. It has trickled into the school system from what I understand. However, the city "looks" better, now that some of those hulking eyesores are gone. What they don't realize (or maybe they do) is that the removal of the projects and shifting of families doesn't solve the fundamental problem.
Good points.

Also - it is my sense that they certainly realize but do not care, in fact. They are simply, in their view, solving a problem. Granted that the problem needs solving. These are just the most cost-effective methods.

Working class and working poor in the urban context do not like this shifting either. And why should they put up with it.

This is part of the "take the money and run" logic that runs our current culture, has given rise to predatory investment strategies, and so on.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
In fact, the article says its the highest number of murders in Chicago in more than 10 years. That doesn't say its the worst murders in one year ever. So Chicago has had higher numbers of murders when the projects will still around. That doesn't say anything either, and that's why I was asking if a anyone could reference studies or books on the matter.
Or, you could live somewhere, become observant and involved in the community, and draw on common sense developed from experience.

Fortunately, some people are still doing that.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Or, you could live somewhere, become observant and involved in the community, and draw on common sense developed from experience.

Fortunately, some people are still doing that.
No one participating on this thread has said they had such involvement in Chicago. The information is all second hand at best (in some cases third hand), and its been filtered through the biases of the people who present it here.

Which is why I asked if anyone had any formal studies on the matter, or knew of any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City