Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times

Advertisements

There is no real such thing as a hipster. It is a figment of a blue collar proles imagination. If you were to stand up a so called "hipster" to the people in the rest of the world, be it a man or woman from Bulgaria,South Africa,Montenegro,Finland or Guyana and ask them what they are, they would most likely describe them as a skinny white American. Besides their specialized tastes in what have you, Clothes,Coffee,Bikes,Eye Glasses,whatever, they are actually quite normal and standard American looking. I do not understand why so many people do not see this. Many of them seem to come from more upper middle class suburban backgrounds and this is what gets the mostly blue collar class to despise them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
That article provides a glimpse of a growing demographic in a more urban, older area outside the city. An exception, not a rule. An alternative.

There are still neighborhoods in NYC which are affordable and offer a decent subway commute. Most people who are NYC centric will not be attracted to a 40 minute average commute via POV. More desirable is that 30 minute commute via subway, car free living, diversity, arts scene and so on.

Sorry to get your hopes up. Hipsters are not evacuating NYC, lol.
Its not about hipsters leaving NYC. For everyone hipster that leaves, another one comes to replace them. Some hipsters will always remain in NYC.

But because of the nature of the world currently, artists types don't necessarily have to be close to Manhattan. I'm a freelance writer. I don't have to be close to Manhattan because I can e-mail what I write to editors, producers, etc from anywhere in the world. Other professional artists can use the internet to market and sell their work as well. Among the highly educated hipster crowd, many can teach or do certain other things, so again, its not always necessary to live near Manhattan.

You will find other suburban places that are considered hip and cool to professionals as well.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Only thing you won't find in suburbs are yuppies, because once they move out here we take the 'u' away :-)

I expect it will happen more; hipsters having kids, moving to the suburbs, and replacing their fixies with an equally silly automobile. The question is, what replaces the hipsters? For now, it's still more hipsters, but eventually it will be something different.
Another subculture. Hipsters have less than ten years before another subculture takes mold and dominate the village and other hip areas.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
^Not a requirement, but a preference. People like to stick among those with similar mindsets. NYC bleeds art citywide.

Harder to find that atmosphere outside the city. I know I personally appreciate being located close to the MOMA, PS1, Guggenheim, ect. I love the graffiti, street performances, creative dressers, other forms of random street art, could not give that up.

Also, seems everyone urban under 35, not ghetto, not square, is considered a hipster nowadays.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
There is no real such thing as a hipster. It is a figment of a blue collar proles imagination. If you were to stand up a so called "hipster" to the people in the rest of the world, be it a man or woman from Bulgaria,South Africa,Montenegro,Finland or Guyana and ask them what they are, they would most likely describe them as a skinny white American. Besides their specialized tastes in what have you, Clothes,Coffee,Bikes,Eye Glasses,whatever, they are actually quite normal and standard American looking. I do not understand why so many people do not see this. Many of them seem to come from more upper middle class suburban backgrounds and this is what gets the mostly blue collar class to despise them.
Except a hipster is not a skinny white american, at least not necessarily. Its my contemporaries and friends who live in places like Williamsburg. People with good educations (graduate degrees often) and who often work in various creative fields.

The jealous from the blue collar crowd is that this crowd lives a very different lifestyle from how they live. A number of blue collar people get crappy jobs and let themselves get trapped by a sense of responsibility that prevents them from making any major lifestyle changes. A hipster, who can move to a city far where he/she grew up, is an almost magical person to those stuck in crappy lives. Take the majority of hipsters in Williamsburg. If they really wanted to relocate to California, Florida, Boston, Texas, etc., it would be pretty easy for them. They have the education, and the flexible mindset to do so.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
It only makes sense that those who have kids will eventually leave NYC because of the public school system. Do I see hipsters still coming to BK in the next five to ten years? I don't know; on one hand, trends change all the time and so does NYC. On the other hand, certain parts of BK that have become known as "hipster town" do have the potential to last longer than thought. It could end up resembling the hippies of the 60s/early70s; one day, they're epitome of counterculture, in a full decade they're living the straight narrow 9-to-5 lifestyle in suburbia. It's interesting to see how it will unfold.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Hastings has always been a bit more crunchy than other towns/villages in Westchester, so it's not surprising that it would attract a similar demographic to Williamsburg, especially when they need a good school system without paying $40k for private schools in the city.
Also plenty of these hipster, transplant, yuppie professionals have plenty of debt from college well into their late twenties and thirties how can they afford expensive rents, condos or even 20k to 40 tuition for one child? For most its back to the places they have abandoned.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
It only makes sense that those who have kids will eventually leave NYC because of the public school system. Do I see hipsters still coming to BK in the next five to ten years? I don't know; on one hand, trends change all the time and so does NYC. On the other hand, certain parts of BK that have become known as "hipster town" do have the potential to last longer than thought. It could end up resembling the hippies of the 60s/early70s; one day, they're epitome of counterculture, in a full decade they're living the straight narrow 9-to-5 lifestyle in suburbia. It's interesting to see how it will unfold.
Well, the trend so far has been for young professionals to increasingly stay or move back into the city. The more children from these families, the more the schools will change. Not every school is awful either, and the worst offenders are generally the middle/high schools.

I don't see families fleeing neighborhoods like Brooklyn Heights, the Upper West Side, Park Slope, ect anytime soon. Great amenities, diversity, access to the arts, schools, healthcare, walkability, increasing public and private investment.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Except a hipster is not a skinny white american, at least not necessarily. Its my contemporaries and friends who live in places like Williamsburg. People with good educations (graduate degrees often) and who often work in various creative fields.

The jealous from the blue collar crowd is that this crowd lives a very different lifestyle from how they live. A number of blue collar people get crappy jobs and let themselves get trapped by a sense of responsibility that prevents them from making any major lifestyle changes. A hipster, who can move to a city far where he/she grew up, is an almost magical person to those stuck in crappy lives. Take the majority of hipsters in Williamsburg. If they really wanted to relocate to California, Florida, Boston, Texas, etc., it would be pretty easy for them. They have the education, and the flexible mindset to do so.
Totally agree.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
That article provides a glimpse of a growing demographic in a more urban, older area outside the city. An exception, not a rule. An alternative.
Hastings is not urban by any stretch, though. It's a tiny village. Yonkers would be an example of suburban urbanity in places as would New Rochelle or White Plains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Also plenty of these hipster, transplant, yuppie professionals have plenty of debt from college well into their late twenties and thirties how can they afford expensive rents, condos or even 20k to 40 tuition for one child? For most its back to the places they have abandoned.
Very true. That migration will also be part of the issue as the hipsters age back into the suburbs, just as their parents and grandparents who may have been hippies did in the 1970s and 1980s. In that era, it was safety that helped drive people from the city when they had children as the city was failing in many respects; yet today it's economic, since parents are not likely to expose their children to urban pioneering in a less expensive area, especially not without quality schools. Children change perspectives, and what may be fun and experimental as a single turns out not to be the lifestyle that one might adopt with parental responsibility.

I don't see the floodgates opening and Metro-North becoming an equivalent of the L train, well at least the Hudson Line as the Rivertowns have always been a bit more free-spirited than the Sound Shore and Central/Northeastern Westchester, but there will be a migration of hipsters to suburban locales.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City