Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Then why not walk up to them and call them hipsters?

"Hey, cool hipster glasses man! "

"Is it true what they say about Bedford Avenue? You know, I hear it's the most deck place for hipsters these days."

"What was this neighborhood like before the hipsters got here?"

Has anyone ever called a hipster a "hipster" before? How did it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 10:06 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Then why not walk up to them and call them hipsters?

"Hey, cool hipster glasses man! "

"Is it true what they say about Bedford Avenue? You know, I hear it's the most deck place for hipsters these days."

"What was this neighborhood like before the hipsters got here?"

All you gotta do for this question is look at it now and imagine what it would look like without 7 million condo buildings but rather apartment buildings and replace the population you currently see with a poor working class mix of mainly white/hispanic and black folk... That's what it looked like about 20 years ago...

Old 02-13-2012, 10:18 AM

400 posts, read 983,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Yea, I saw a group of hipsters walking from the shuttle bus that goes to Spa Castle in college point. They were walking back towards the 7 train at Main street and I said this REAL loud, "Yo hipster" . They IMMEDIATELY turned around. They didnt even look around to see if I could be addressing anyone else, probably because everyone around here is a full blown FOB (Chinese/Korean, Colombian, Ecuadorian/Central American) They know who they are and they knew full well there was nobody else possible I could be talking to. They couldnt really see me but they knew someone was calling them and only after I got into their vision did I wave to them.

There was one fat blonde girl with holes in her multi-designed spandex and two fine ass brown haired anglo woman.

You can always tell the Manhattan/Brooklyn hipster yuppie types out here, they sure do love the Spa Castle because I see them all the time asking directions on how to get there and they are always lined up waiting for the van.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:26 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
I don't think most hipsters necessarily hate being called hipsters. However, I don't think anyone likes to be disrespected -- so if you are mocking someone in public they are not likely to endear themselves to you.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:29 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Real hipsters think they are above being called hipsters..in fact they believe they are above everything...Nothing worse than an supposed young urban sophisticate that view the world as primative and themselves as totally cool in every way....Hipsters are just to liberal for me..half of them you can not tell if they are gay - semi-gay - toy with being gay - or just don't care as long as it feels good...oh well - the hippies used to say that "if it feels good do it" - so much for personal respect and self control.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
All you gotta do for this question is look at it now and imagine what it would look like without 7 million condo buildings but rather apartment buildings and replace the population you currently see with a poor working class mix of mainly white/hispanic and black folk... That's what it looked like about 20 years ago...
What you just said reminds me of the mid 90s movie called kids.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:52 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Most hipsters will almost always deny that they are hipsters. To admit that they're part of a group where everyone is so much alike would not make them unique and special. That's devastating to the hipster, like us, they have needs.

Bedford Avenue is their strip and Williamsburg is their ground zero. From there the gentrifying spreads and sometimes leap frogs. Bushwick is their current project and definitely gives much more street cred back home than Williamsburg does.

Many of there operations are planned from huddled corners at the Brooklyn bowl while they share over priced veggie burgers. They discuss whose trust fund or whose parents will finance their next gentrifying project. Sometimes they engage in recon and even plant pre gentrifiers as "sleepers" to live in what might be their next project neighborhood. I'm afraid that Bay Ridge is currently in the recon and sleeper mode. Hopefully, if possible, they'll pull back on Bay Ridge, not only because of the distance, but Bay Ridge is already cool in a real non pretentious way. We can only hope. They had to leap frog over Park Slope because that would be like trying to gentrify the Upper East Side. I don't know how they missed Sunset Park?

HIPSTERS, DON'T CROSS THIS LINE

Quote:
barkomatic:
I don't think most hipsters necessarily hate being called hipsters. However, I don't think anyone likes to be disrespected -- so if you are mocking someone in public they are not likely to endear themselves to you.
If being a hipster is truly cool then why be ashamed or upset when you're called a hipster?

Last edited by makossa; 02-13-2012 at 11:09 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 10:55 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
In b4 grigou chimes in with some "witty" tantrum about bearded transplants...

Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
So is "hipster" the new term for people I see wearing totally mismatched clothes? I also see a lot of kids and adults wearing eyeglass frames with no lenses. Are they what we once called "punk" or "ecclectic"?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 AM

62 posts, read 187,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Most hipsters will almost always deny that they are hipsters. To admit that they're part of a group where everyone is so much alike would not make them unique and special. That's devastating to the hipster, like us, they have needs.

Bedford Avenue is their strip and Williamsburg is their ground zero. From there the gentrifying spreads and sometimes leap frogs. Bushwick is their current project and definitely gives much more street cred back home than Williamsburg does.

Many of there operations are planned from huddled corners at the Brooklyn bowl while they share over priced veggie burgers. They discuss whose trust fund or whose parents will finance their next gentrifying project. Sometimes they engage in recon and even plant pre gentrifiers as "sleepers" to live in what might be their next project neighborhood. I'm afraid that Bay Ridge is currently in the recon and sleeper mode. Hopefully, if possible, they'll pull back on Bay Ridge, not only because of the distance, but Bay Ridge is already cool in a real non pretentious way. We can only hope. They had to leap frog over Park Slope because that would be like trying to gentrify the Upper East Side. I don't know how they missed Sunset Park?

If being a hipster is truly cool then why be ashamed or upset when you're called a hipster?
lol! That was truly funny but at the same time so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City