Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,344,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
If you really care about where your tax $$s are going, you shouldn't waste your time on the crumbs handed to the destitute, and instead focus on the tens of billions shoveled to corporations...corporations that already make billions on profits! Nevermind they don't pay taxes by keeping profits overseas. But that's not all, those same companies pay their employees peanuts and since they earn so little, the employees get tax payer funded insurance (medicaid), food stamps, and government rent vouchers (like section 8). These companies offload the entire cost of employee to the tax payer, AND pay them nothing.

If you want to talk about a monumental fleecing of taxpayers...THAT is it. Don't waste your time complaining about the guy who just stole $10 bucks from your wallet...you should be complaining about the banker who stripped the equity out of your home, stole your retirement funds, and created the entire global economic collapse through sheer and unabashed fraud.

If you followed the money trail...it does NOT lead you to the housing projects!!
^^^
He's right! It does not make the actions of the deadbeat tenant any less annoying, but it certainly DWARFS what's going on with the poor:

Apple, Google, Amazon Pay Corporate Income Tax Well Below Official Rate
Apple, Google, Amazon Pay Corporate Income Tax Well Below Official Rate

Why isn't there an effective AMT for corporations? Aren't corporations "people" too? Then how come real "people" have to pay substantial AMT and corporations don't? Very easy with GAAP to wriggle out of the minimal corporate AMT, but not so for real people, especially wage earners.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 02-27-2013 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 12:35 PM

25,395 posts, read 37,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
What should happen, is that a "New Deal" type of program should happen again. If the the government is going to be handing out money because there are no jobs, why not create jobs, and then pay them. They're spending that money regardless, so why not get something out of it?

Instead of paying for peoples rent and the obamaphone and all the other subsidies, they could create a job for them and then pay them a 30k a year salary, and then let them live on their own. they don't like it, they don't get paid.

Absolutely 100% correct...tell Boehner, tell Reid, tell Obama. That is exactly what FDR rammed through it was the WPA hiring people at a living wage to do anything deemed useful to society and the CCC to build parks, roads, and dams.
A Republican Supreme Court threw it out as unconstitutional, aka uncapitalistic.

We have a current need to have all those bridges, roads, bile trails, and parks, water tunnels, just waiting to be built or rebuilt and having the government empoy people to do it would be a good answer to the unemployment problem.
But the corporate powers of the U.S. have gotten too strong and now completely control government, up to and including the president and the courts. So don't look for anything sensible like that happening. The only way possible to employ those left behind by our robotic society is to start war after war after war and create nothing of use to anyone on the planet.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 AM

32 posts, read 27,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You have no idea what's wrong with that tenant, especially if she really is single with no dependents getting all this aid.

If you really want her out start making moves to evict. You have legal grounds. She's always chronically late. In many cities, a landlord can evict on this alone. I know in LA, I was told that if a tenant is late more than three times, then the landlord can evict.

Have you tried getting rid of them?
I've had eight court appearances with her since Jan. 2012. The current non-payment case has been dragging on since I served the rent demand in November! She now owes over $6000 and just blocked an eviction order with a "show cause" order to get more time. She's attempting to get the government to pay ALL the rent she owes. I've spent almost $2000 in legal fees.

Forgot to say she also gets a free lawyer at the court house

She's an expert at playing the game. It's called abuse. The system is screwed and all tax payers are suffering for it.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,074,835 times
Corporations are the lifeblood of this country and deserve all the benefits and breaks. Unemployed low lifes deserve nothing.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,694,313 times
You really think people will go to bed hungry? London has really cracked down on SS disability which is the new welfare. This country has seen a huge uptick in this area.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:02 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,344,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dome View Post
I've had eight court appearances with her since Jan. 2012. The current non-payment case has been dragging on since I served the rent demand in November! She now owes over $6000 and just blocked an eviction order with a "show cause" order to get more time. She's attempting to get the government to pay ALL the rent she owes. I've spent almost $2000 in legal fees.

Forgot to say she also gets a free lawyer at the court house

She's an expert at playing the game. It's called abuse. The system is screwed and all tax payers are suffering for it.
How long has she been your tenant? She sounds like a "professional tenant," which is somebody that just moves around and screws landlords and never pays and drags out their evictions. I think there are some websites where landlords blacklist professional tenants. Find them and put her name on them with the story of what you went through so that when you finally get rid of her she has trouble finding another place.

Also, definitely make sure that there is a judgment placed on her credit report for all the money she owes you even though you probably have no chance of collecting. This ensures she personally has bad credit until she pays you back. If the government pays the back rent, then sue her personally in small claims court for your legal fees, so that you can get a judgment put on her credit report. Let her at least suffer some consequences from her actions.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How long has she been your tenant? She sounds like a "professional tenant," which is somebody that just moves around and screws landlords and never pays and drags out their evictions. I think there are some websites where landlords blacklist professional tenants. Find them and put her name on them with the story of what you went through so that when you finally get rid of her she has trouble finding another place.

Also, definitely make sure that there is a judgment placed on her credit report for all the money she owes you even though you probably have no chance of collecting. This ensures she personally has bad credit until she pays you back. If the government pays the back rent, then sue her personally in small claims court for your legal fees, so that you can get a judgment put on her credit report. Let her at least suffer some consequences from her actions.
Thanks for the advice, but it won't work.
She's been there for twenty years, ten of which since I've suffered since I owned the building. You see, the basic problem is the rent-stabilization laws. She's protected no matter what. It means that no matter what she does or doesn't do, no matter how much money and time I have to spend due to repeated non-payment, I AM FORCED TO RENEW HER LEASE until one of us dies. And she's 15 years younger than me. I may never see my apartment free of her.

I'm sure her credit rating was shot a long time ago. Con Ed has cut her service several times for non-payment. Now your tax dollars are paying her bill.
As for a black list, that's automatic for being sued in housing court.
I don't think I can collect legal fees in small claims because it doesn't explicitly say who's responsible for legal fees in the lease. Anyway, even if I did win, I couldn't collect because she has no hard assets.

The rent system and housing court system are just a mess!

Old 04-25-2013, 04:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,943,544 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, but it won't work.
She's been there for twenty years, ten of which since I've suffered since I owned the building. You see, the basic problem is the rent-stabilization laws. She's protected no matter what. It means that no matter what she does or doesn't do, no matter how much money and time I have to spend due to repeated non-payment, I AM FORCED TO RENEW HER LEASE until one of us dies. And she's 15 years younger than me. I may never see my apartment free of her.

I'm sure her credit rating was shot a long time ago. Con Ed has cut her service several times for non-payment. Now your tax dollars are paying her bill.
As for a black list, that's automatic for being sued in housing court.
I don't think I can collect legal fees in small claims because it doesn't explicitly say who's responsible for legal fees in the lease. Anyway, even if I did win, I couldn't collect because she has no hard assets.

The rent system and housing court system are just a mess!

You can evict her, and because you have not been successful, it seems that there is more to the story.

There is no such thing as "repeated non-payment" in the sense you suggest. If she repeatedly "non-pays," she is out. Even if she pays up in the end, you can file a holdover proceeding for creating a nuisance.

You either lack decent legal counsel or you are an anti-stabilization troll posing here as a victimized landlord to change public opinion.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:24 PM

37 posts, read 64,030 times
Quote:
I have a low-life, chronically rent-delinquent tenant who has just successfully gotten herself on "public assistance". Food stamps, Medicaid, partial rent payment, Obamaphone....

The crazy thing is that this person, single, no dependents, about 40 years old, is able-bodied, is not mentally ill, and, at least to my knowledge, has never even been hospitalized. She lives on the fifth floor of a walk-up. So she climbs up and down four flights of steps. That is, of course, when she's not sitting on her sofa watching her cable TV or enjoying her internet service. Which she seems to do most of the day, every day.

How many thousands of $ is just this one person costing us? Why don't they force her to take an unskilled job? Even one that requires no physical exertion (although she's physically capable)???
Supermarket cashier? Flipping burgers? Waitress?

I'm sick and tired of the welfare mentality that this city, state, and federal government encourages. And sucks the tax payers dry!
completely disgusting - people like this will be the downfall of our country

Old 06-18-2013, 06:03 PM

Your entire post is highly offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post

"There is no such thing as "repeated non-payment" in the sense you suggest. If she repeatedly "non-pays," she is out. Even if she pays up in the end, you can file a holdover proceeding for creating a nuisance."

You have no understanding of the chronic nuisance provision of the RS code. Even if she is deemed to be a chronic nuisance, she is NOT evicted. She is put on probation - meaning that if she pays the rent on time for a relatively brief period of time (six to twelve months) her non-payment record is entirely cleared. It's as if she has a perfect rent history. This woman has stated to me and to the court that she has access to a third party for payment of the stipulated back rent. She simply would rather have the tax payers pay it. AND SHE HAS NOW SUCCEEDED IN DOING THAT!

"you are an anti-stabilization troll posing here as a victimized landlord to change public opinion.
How dare you?
I pointed out the FACT the the system's laws allow her to behave like this, and you call me a troll?!?!
You should be ashamed of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City