Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:05 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,594 times

Advertisements

I would be renting a room and not living in my own apartment. I’m guessing a room in a comfortable area would cost about $800/month. Is this about right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
Where in Manhattan do you expect to live for $800 a month sharing an apartment. Because odds of finding a share below Harlem is not that likely unless you have 6 roommates. But yes you can live in Manhattan on that salary. I did on half that and lived alone and paid double, Sure most of my money went to rent but it was still doable.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Where in Manhattan do you expect to live for $800 a month sharing an apartment. Because odds of finding a share below Harlem is not that likely unless you have 6 roommates. But yes you can live in Manhattan on that salary. I did on half that and lived alone and paid double, Sure most of my money went to rent but it was still doable.
Nor is it possible in Harlem, especially not in the slightly better areas.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:14 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Not true. $800 a month is reasonable if she is looking to live in Harlem with roommates. 50-55K a year is a doable salary for that kind of arrangement. $800 may not get her into the most desirable areas, but it is more than adequate to live a safe neighborhood if sharing with others. Or if she is willing to live outside of Manhattan she could just get her own place. But for some people, having the opportunity to experience Manhattan is important. I think it sucks above 96th and isn't worth it but that's just me.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:36 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,303 times
$800 will get you a room in a nice place in Washington Heights or Inwood, but that is probably not what you mean by Manhattan.

If you raise your budget to $1200 you can probably find something.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 PM

36 posts, read 65,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I was renting a room close to Morningside/125th for $800 in 2011. OP, just keep looking, the rental market is extremely competitive in NYC, but if you keep trying, you should be able to find something. Also, why not rent in Queens, as far as I remember it can be an easy commute to Manhattan if you live close to the subway line "7".

Old 02-28-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Not true. $800 a month is reasonable if she is looking to live in Harlem with roommates. 50-55K a year is a doable salary for that kind of arrangement. $800 may not get her into the most desirable areas, but it is more than adequate to live a safe neighborhood if sharing with others. Or if she is willing to live outside of Manhattan she could just get her own place. But for some people, having the opportunity to experience Manhattan is important. I think it sucks above 96th and isn't worth it but that's just me.
Wrong. In Harlem, $800 is not possible in anything resembling a "safe" area.
And the better areas in Harlem are nearly as expensive as downtown now. You may get more space, but just comparing prices.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:59 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,594 times
Well from everything I've been hearing from my friends that are currently living in Manhattan and craigslist posts for apartment/room shares, $800-$1000 sounds possible (assuming I will have multiple roommates in the apartment). So, if like most of you say, this isn't possible in a safe area of Manhattan, where are my other choices that I can commute from? And how long will this take by metro?

Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
$800 will get you a room in a nice place in Washington Heights or Inwood, but that is probably not what you mean by Manhattan.

If you raise your budget to $1200 you can probably find something.
I will second these two places, I have a friend living with a roommate in Washington Heights for about $800. Basically as long as the OP realizes that $800 isn't going to get you into the best neighborhoods and will be a bit of a commute to get to anything south of Central Park, these areas aren't that bad.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
Well from everything I've been hearing from my friends that are currently living in Manhattan and craigslist posts for apartment/room shares, $800-$1000 sounds possible (assuming I will have multiple roommates in the apartment). So, if like most of you say, this isn't possible in a safe area of Manhattan, where are my other choices that I can commute from? And how long will this take by metro?
I think ... you should look at everything, imagining the possibilities of exceptions (which do come up if you are out there), find a location, and then ask here about it.

Everything close-ish or convenient to downtown Manhattan, including New Jersey, is reaching a level where the prices are nearly the same as prime Manhattan. It is quite astonishing actually. In Harlem, the most ghetto culture dominated areas will be cheaper, ditto Brooklyn and Queens.

I knew an elderly man who had been burned out of his home in Brooklyn, was renting a room from a woman in Harlem, they got into some sort of argument (she was wrong in my opinion) and she demanded that he leave. He could pay $700. I was helping him and I thought it would be easy to find him something. I was wrong. I could not believe that most of the shares in Harlem were $1,000, and few of those, mostly $1,300 - $1,500. This was last December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City