Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i can tell you after thinking we were going to relocate to the poconos where we had a home the thing you sacrifice when living in nyc is giving up boredom.

there is just endless things to do here but you need the dough to enjoy it.
Sure, there are endless things to do in NYC; but, not living here does NOT equal boredom! You just choose a boring place, perhaps.

When you leave NYC, you need to be ready for a new and different lifestyle. Very rare can the NYC lifestyle be extended to other places in the USA. One would do better, in that respect, moving to a Euro city.

For example, move to Florida, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, wherever, you cannot expect NYC! Yet, if one can adjust and/or desires a Sun and Water lifestyle, then FL is paradise in a way NYC cannot approach!

If you prefer theater over boating, foreign movies over surfing, museums over nature walks, crowds over empty beaches, subways over the freedom of easy driving, ecetera....

To each his own, but to say, one w/b bored really is a personal thing, nothing to do with NYC or not NYC. YOUR LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT.

Me, I'm a water person, so walking out of the bedroom, ten feet, into a cool pool is oooh lala! It didn't cost $5M as it would in NYC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
you are correct , i was referring to more rural areas vs here.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
I don't want to state the obvious but do New Yorkers really sacrifice comfort and quality of life for the ability to enjoy what NYC offers? Or conversely, is it possible to live with relative comfort in NYC?

Put another way, do people live in NYC primarily for the unique attractions offered by the city (and are prepared to sacrifice their quality of life), OR is a normal, sustainable quality of life also possible there, as in any other city?
If you first know where you are working, you can get quite a lot of space in a safe area within 30-40 minutes commute.

I think the problem is people see things relatively... In other cities they are the big fish but in NYC they'd be middle class living outside the trendiest areas. They aren't willing to give up being the big fish. What's great about NYC is both are possible, you can live in a modest affordable area or you can cram into a trendier area that doesn't even exist elseware.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:15 PM

112 posts, read 328,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
This is a funny post. Typical of a Transplant puzzled, in the NYC way of life. It would appear moved to NYC w/o the truly necessary financial ability; and, unlike natives, w/o a support system magnifying income.

What native goes to the laudromat during a BLIZZARD??? LOL! Much more fun things to do when snowed in, though it does take a member of the opposite sex!

WHAT are your groceries doing on the subway?? Millions of people, a thousand or more on any given subway train. What portion of people are carrying *melting* groceries???

Btw, what native shops for their groceries at the BODEGA?! That is not what they are for. Bodegas are the equivalent of 7/11s, not supermarkets. Did you do your grocery shopping at the convenience store?

The problem Transplant, is that you thought you could just move here w/o the slightest idea of *how* to live here! I don't know of a single person with your issues.

The fact that *you* don't have the money to enjoy the city, whose fault is that? It is READILY apparent that hundreds of thousands of people partake ALL the city has to offer, on a DAILY basis!

It is ot a matter of "romanticizing", but rather YOU moving here, apparently, unknowing and unprepared, with little BUT your romantic notions!

Please do not blame NYC for your misperceptions!

Transplants say the darndest things.....
im not a transplant to nyc

well, unless you consider bridge and tunnelers who never had to live in the city to be transplants.

truth is I lived and grew up in jersey closer to midtown than most people in nyc.

i made more than enough money to live quite comfortably in nyc, i just never understood the point of paying more money in taxes and rent to live in nyc when i had buses that ran 24/7 at my buildings doorstop and would get me to midtown in 20 minutes.

all of those scenarios i posted earlier are true things that have happend to native new yorkers that ive known (friends and family)

- when the weatherman says blizzard and theres only 2 inches of snow on the ground you do the laundry because you dont wanna show up to work smelling like ass in case mr weatherman is wrong again. also because laundromats are usually packed after snowstorms. either way snow or rain it still sucks having to walk 3 blocks in the cold to do your laundry.

- many native new yorkers do brave the subways wih thier groceries in order to get a bargain like a free 20lb bag of rice from some of the latin supermarkets. youd be surprised how far away people come from to get that. of course knowledge of that deal isnt as widely known outside the hispanic community.

- the intent of me speaking about bodegas was to avoid the follow up post with the "DuRRRR. Why not just buy from a bodega/deli/etc". they have bodegas outside nyc as well but people only buy from them when they get a case of the lazy.

the whole romantic nyc thing was just the vibe i got from talking to people who moved here from the midwest and watching movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: