Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:16 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
obvious it a uphill battle no matter which way you go. do you want to spend money on a lawyer which is not guarantee or plead guilty...pay the fine.

A= guilty.
8 points pay loads of money
no more tickets for 18 months for risk of suspension
Take safety point reduction classes to lessen the impact of insurance dramatic increase & potential license suspension

B. Hire lawyer
Pay a lawyer but its not a guarantee
Still take safety point reduction classes

I have friends who has gotten off with lawyers but its a real crapshoot. I have agencies that my friend told me if you want to try it
Friend of mine who lives in Queens got two speeding tickets upstate last year...same road (you would think he would learn)....first he fought but only got the fine reduced, second he didnt fight because he didnt realize it was excess speed. He came close to having his license suspended.

Then his insurance renewal came in the mail....from $2,500/year to $4,600.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 08:22 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,089,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Friend of mine who lives in Queens got two speeding tickets upstate last year...same road (you would think he would learn)....first he fought but only got the fine reduced, second he didnt fight because he didnt realize it was excess speed. He came close to having his license suspended.

Then his insurance renewal came in the mail....from $2,500/year to $4,600.
two tickets is almost instant death wish. I know people who got the boot from their ins. co.

I've known people with DUI who didn't have any insurance premium increase. I still think its a crap shoot.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 11,688 times
You may have been speeding and I appreciate the dilemma of hiring a lawyer but why don't you try having a trial n your own at least in ordering the discovery- cops notes and type of radar gun etc then make a decision on what to do next

Old 08-31-2013, 10:56 PM

151 posts, read 405,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteasylaw View Post
You may have been speeding and I appreciate the dilemma of hiring a lawyer but why don't you try having a trial n your own at least in ordering the discovery- cops notes and type of radar gun etc then make a decision on what to do next

This thread is from 5 months ago,dude.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 11,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
This thread is from 5 months ago,dude.
and i hope everyone can still use the information\i have also heard of cases going well over a year before trial starts
thanks for the interest

Old 09-15-2013, 02:11 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,090,818 times
I'll add that the cops are needed on the GCP between Jamaica Estates and the city line. Over the last six months I have come across the scene of three fatal accidents on that part of the GCP all due to excessive speed.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 13,593 times
I got a speeding ticket for driving @ 79 mph in a zone of 45 in NYC. The ticket says I need to appear in person. I am a Indiana resident. Anyone has any idea how to go about it? Will I have to come to NY and appear in court or is there another way out.

Also, I am not able to access my ticket online and when I called the authorities they said that 15 days is only to reply by mail, for online access you have to wait till 3 weeks. Will there be problems if I don't do anything in 15 days?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:40 AM

5,862 posts, read 3,302,153 times
Bottom line is you have received a ticket from HWY 3. Good luck winning that one. They can recite their testimony with their eyes closed. The cop will show. If its adjourned he will show then as well. The reason being is that if they don't they lose their vacation time. The only way he doesn't show is if he retires!

Old 10-22-2014, 06:34 AM

4 posts, read 13,593 times
1. Is taking a lawyer with you mandatory??
2. Can you send your lawyer instead of you to court for the hearing?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:39 AM

5,862 posts, read 3,302,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viveksingla View Post
1. Is taking a lawyer with you mandatory??
2. Can you send your lawyer instead of you to court for the hearing?
1. No
2. Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City