Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 79,213 times

Advertisements

Ok, i heard of the One-Shot-Deal from social services (welfare) but i make 2400/mo gross, and my girl makes 800/mo gross, and we can bearly afford to eat or do laundry in out 1125/mo apartment. The apartment is now roach infested and the living situation for us and our daughter is becoming unhealthy to live there. I can't afford one months deposit to find an apartment nor a brokers fee, but my landlord told me my last months rent is free since i paid first, last, and deposit when we moved in (i had money saved up).
i told her to go to social services and do the one shot and say i left her, but shes scared to embelish the truth since we both know we will be rejected if we both apply.
What can we do, we're stuck. I get paid bi-weekly and after taxes i come home with 940, one check for rent, and the next check for bills, food, and the left-over for more rent that was missing from the last check.
Any advice, and no family can help us cuz they're broke too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 03:09 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
Well I need more information before I can help you. Between the 2 of you, you are grossing 3,100 a month, so lets say you take home a total of $2,200 a month. Your rent is $1,125 leaving about $1,100 for other bills. Where is the other $1,100 going? Sounds to me like you need to CUT the bills that you have because if you can barely afford to eat with $1,100 bucks, you have too many bills. Do all of you have cell phones? Get rid of ALL of them and stick with a landline (or keep one and get rid of the landline). Do you have cable? Cancel it and just stick with basic cable or antenna. Do you have a car? Get rid of it and use public transportation. STOP eating out and cook only at home. No "getting your hair did", no manicures, no toys for the kid, forget the new Air Jordans and get sneakers/shoes from Payless, no nonessential bills/expenses at all..get it? Furthermore, did you rent this apt when you had the same income? If so, what made you think you could afford it since you are struggling so much? If you are having a roach problem you can buy some foggers and that will take care of alot of that. Keeping the place clean also helps. If you are that desperate to move, take out a personal loan from a bank for the 1 month rent and deposit for a future apt, and then pay it back monthly. In the future, you should budget yourself more appropriately.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:28 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
I would check with Catholic Charities and/or the Saint Vincent dePaul Society in New York to see if they either have a program or know of a program whereby you can get a no-interest loan and/or partial grant for your deposit. Some cities have programs that are under the aegis of one of these groups, or an affiliated group that exists to make this type of loan that can be repaid in affordable installments. Others have discretionary funds to assist as well in the form of grants.

Here are a couple of Websites with contact information:

Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New York

Find a Council

Old 11-06-2008, 04:49 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,729 times
Do any of you 2 have credit cards? You can take out a cash advance,yeah I know that would put you in debt but that is what a lot of people do when they run out of sources for money.

But I agree with Sobro,you definitely have to budget better. Write everything that you spend down on paper every day. You didn't mention about having a car. Your in the East Elmhurst area which only has buses,not a really good area for mass transit. I think transportation costs to and from work for the both of you are a big part of your monthly expenditures.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 15,984 times
I'm living with my sister with mi two kids in a two bedroom apartment n her daughter . I get $1053 a month from SSD. Is there any programs the can help me with a deposit for an apartment and rent without being on welfare. I need to move ASAP

Old 05-09-2012, 06:06 PM

799 posts, read 1,550,371 times
you got time to post these questions to the people on HERE? sounds like you need a second, third or fourth job.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 PM

240 posts, read 622,065 times
Sorry, I'm still wondering why someone in your situation went ahead & decided to bring an innocent baby into the crappy equation.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 PM

799 posts, read 1,550,371 times
for reals. its called birth control. you get it free at planned parenthood. why you lookin for a handout? get a job. drive a taxi. do whateva you need to. so tired of this attitude. my mama raised my sisters and i alone after daddy cut out by working as a maid, a waitress and dispatching for a taxi company. none of that was fun. but she sure damn well wasn't sittin in front of a computer (bet that internet connection costs you somethin) begging strangers for info on how to get s**t for free cause she couldn't take care of us.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 PM

961 posts, read 2,465,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well I need more information before I can help you. Between the 2 of you, you are grossing 3,100 a month, so lets say you take home a total of $2,200 a month. Your rent is $1,125 leaving about $1,100 for other bills. Where is the other $1,100 going? Sounds to me like you need to CUT the bills that you have because if you can barely afford to eat with $1,100 bucks, you have too many bills. Do all of you have cell phones? Get rid of ALL of them and stick with a landline (or keep one and get rid of the landline). Do you have cable? Cancel it and just stick with basic cable or antenna. Do you have a car? Get rid of it and use public transportation. STOP eating out and cook only at home. No "getting your hair did", no manicures, no toys for the kid, forget the new Air Jordans and get sneakers/shoes from Payless, no nonessential bills/expenses at all..get it? Furthermore, did you rent this apt when you had the same income? If so, what made you think you could afford it since you are struggling so much? If you are having a roach problem you can buy some foggers and that will take care of alot of that. Keeping the place clean also helps. If you are that desperate to move, take out a personal loan from a bank for the 1 month rent and deposit for a future apt, and then pay it back monthly. In the future, you should budget yourself more appropriately.
Sobro is right, it sounds like in the future you just need to budget more. I would definately make some sacrifices, cut any unnecessary cost from your budget. Good luck to the three of you. I know people who've made it with less with a child. You should be ok if you scrimp and save.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:37 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuyOC View Post
Sorry, I'm still wondering why someone in your situation went ahead & decided to bring an innocent baby into the crappy equation.
no more need be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: