Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:51 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyranger View Post
Buy toyota or honda. American used cars over 100k miles on it go KAPUT.
ridiculous statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 05:23 PM

150 posts, read 427,360 times
No, MOST need major work at that point. It might sound ridiculous,BUT BLAME THE CAR COMPANIES not ME. Its been pretty much agreed upon by mechanics.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
No, MOST need major work at that point. It might sound ridiculous,BUT BLAME THE CAR COMPANIES not ME. Its been pretty much agreed upon by mechanics.
Car service companies and taxi companies would disagree. Town Cars, Crown Victorias, and Marquis are very reliable vehicles, overall, with many hundreds of thousands of miles of service before they needed replacement. Maintenance is key, and what may have been true is not true now, nor is it true for every American car, just as every Japanese car is not reliable. You need to evaluate the make and model to find a good vehicle, and what was a 100k vehicle years ago is more like a 200k car today, with some capable of much more, depending upon care.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 AM

79 posts, read 201,347 times
First I'd like to thank everyone who took their time to reply. I am new here so I didn't even know I had replys (didn't get notifications). I have saved 3,000 for the car and 3,000 for the insurance, I have other savings for repairs and gas. I go to LaGuardia Community College, I live by Fordham. My friend's father is a mechanic and when I find something he will go with me. I'm looking into buying a 2000-2002 Nissan Maxima, I learned how to drive in an accord so I think I will stick to nissan. I have a few months left to buy a car someone suggested to me to wait until I actually give birth because cars are cheaper in warmer weather, is this true?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
blame the owners, not the car companies.

My first car was a hands me down 1985 Oldsmobile that I help push over 350,000 miles. It had a lot more to go until it was stolen. My next hands me down was a 90 camry which pushed over 250,000 miles which was eventually traded it in. I learned do novice to intermediate level of maint. which helps a lot. They key is preventative maintenance.

I don't drive as much anymore, but i know how to take care of my cars which is the key.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:54 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
If you want something with a bit of luxury, I might look to an Acura TL as well as looking for Maximas. Budget-wise, you would be looking at a 1998-1999 TL, which should be fine, provided you have it mechanically cleared, etc. The models from late 2000-2003 should be avoided as Honda's 5-speed automatic transmission had failures as it was a new design from the Ohio plant, though model year 2000 TLs should be fine with the 4-speed automatic transmission. One thing to remember with Hondas is that many use timing belts, and they must be changed at the proper interval, or early, or you will end up with an engine that has significant damage. If it is not documented in the service history with the vehicle, you must have it changed sooner, rather than later. TLs don't have the ignition coil problems and sensor issues that can sometimes plague Maximas, though there is an ignition switch issue with that era TL that should have been replaced by Honda.

As to timing of purchase, right now the market is absorbing tax refunds with respect to cash purchases. So, prices may be higher, or someone may be less willing to negotiate because of that; however, if you look at a private party vehicle, since you know a mechanic who can advise you as to the current state of the car you view, the impact will be less than at a dealership. You will not get a warranty from a dealer on an older vehicle, regardless of mileage, so there's no real reason to use one, since the private party sales market can save you money. Check Craigslist, but look in Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Nassau, or Suffolk to find a suburban private party sale.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM

give car online forums a try.

So if you are looking for a Maxima, peruse a Nissan forum. I generally find true car enthusiasts take care of their car FAR better typically. Many of my car buddies find their next car this way

Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM

79 posts, read 201,347 times
thank you so much!!

Old 04-12-2013, 07:22 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Buy toyota or honda. American used cars over 100k miles on it go KAPUT.
Toyota has had a lot of quality issues in recent years. Lots of recalls. The big 3 of Japan (Toyota, Honda, and Nissan) just had a big one on their airbags for models from 01 to 03. The american lemon thing is a bit of a cliche plus yeah it's kind of unpatriotic. My dad has bought two american used cars and they both served him well for several years. You just have to buy smart.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...bag-fault.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City