Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,179 times

Advertisements

I've been busting my a** as a busser here for a long time now. A year and a half, almost. I've barely got any money but I'm moving to New York the day I turn 18 by any means. I've looked for apartments all over the city, and many of Brooklyn, The Bronx, and Queen's apartments will do and I can actually afford to rent one of them. At least for one month, until I find a job as a waiter, with no security. I can only afford to pay for food, clothes, one month of rent, and anything else that I must have to start my life, along with my dogs necessities, like her food and keeping her from freezing or over-heating, etcetera. She's a small dog (dachshund) so I'm hoping that my potential landlord won't reject me.

I know that there has to be a way to get around it. I'm very trustworthy. I've kept this job since I got it as my first when I was sixteen years old, I'm doing everything that I can, I speak well, I'm too ambitious to breathe most of the time, and I have no credit! I have to deal with that, too. How will I ever find any landlord to have me as a tenant?

Please tell me that you have good news for me. I'm so worried I'm going to faint, and it's been that way too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,179 times
I've also invested in stocks, and I want to invest in real estate. I'm no low-life! I hope these points will help my argument.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,959 times
No job. No apartment.

No security. No apartment.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:37 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
No job. No apartment.

No security. No apartment.
No credit history ---> no apartment either.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:44 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcrammer View Post
I've been busting my a** as a busser here for a long time now. A year and a half, almost. I've barely got any money but I'm moving to New York the day I turn 18 by any means. I've looked for apartments all over the city, and many of Brooklyn, The Bronx, and Queen's apartments will do and I can actually afford to rent one of them. At least for one month, until I find a job as a waiter, with no security. I can only afford to pay for food, clothes, one month of rent, and anything else that I must have to start my life, along with my dogs necessities, like her food and keeping her from freezing or over-heating, etcetera. She's a small dog (dachshund) so I'm hoping that my potential landlord won't reject me.

I know that there has to be a way to get around it. I'm very trustworthy. I've kept this job since I got it as my first when I was sixteen years old, I'm doing everything that I can, I speak well, I'm too ambitious to breathe most of the time, and I have no credit! I have to deal with that, too. How will I ever find any landlord to have me as a tenant?

Please tell me that you have good news for me. I'm so worried I'm going to faint, and it's been that way too long.
I lived in many apartments and a security is just something that is required. You can't get around so better save up security and rent before you come.
Also as some of the above said it's hard to get an apartment without a job. Even with a job you need to make xxxxx amount of money. Do you have someone to co-sign or be a guarantor? Do you have any credit history?

Old 04-13-2013, 12:48 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times
with pts that are rent stabilized for example, it is the law for the landlord to get one month's security

Old 04-13-2013, 01:03 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Maybe your best bet would be a weekly room for rent in the range of $150 - $200 a week. That way if they require a security deposit, it will probably be only a few weeks worth and you would be shelling out under $1000 to begin. However, I am quite sure it would be difficult or impossible for you to find one that would accept a dog.

Here are some on craigslist in Queens. Some might be scams. new york rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

So did you graduate from high school already?

Old 04-13-2013, 03:16 PM

371 posts, read 625,164 times
I have no idea when you turn 18 and plan on moving but there is a person here who goes by the name JenSparkes88 and she is trying to move here at the end of the summer. You should send her a private message, maybe you two can be roommates.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:24 AM

900 posts, read 2,373,126 times
Oh I remember what it was like to be that age and wanting to come here asap.

Here's the reality, living and working in NYC is hard. I'm not trying to be discouraging, but the truth is it's hard especially for a young something without any real skills or life experiences.

I know you'll what your own apartment but why hinder yourself right out the box? That's a big headache for someone to have to try to keep trying to keep up with all your bills and yet still you have nothing affirmative in order to keep said apartment. Renting a room would be better, simply because you have too many unknowns.

Something a lot of people don't mention about NYC on these boards is people are crazy here, sure there are good people here but once you're on a job you never know if you'll get a nutty boss or co-worker to make working life a living hell. Also these nutty people live among you so you'll need to know if you can cope.

As far as the dog, you might be able to find a easy going person to share with that either doesn't mind dogs or has one too. Just make sure you show you're responsible with it by not letting the dog make messes and you not cleaning up after it, and I hope it doesn't bark all the time.

Being ambitious is very good for you and you can find your place here but just have patience and try to prepare the best you can this way your staying will be easier. All the best.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:44 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcrammer View Post

Find a roommate. I don't know how common this is, but I know someone who found a room on Craigslist and the lease-holder let her pay the security deposit over a span of 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City