Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:32 AM

171 posts, read 692,194 times

Advertisements

I read in another thread about gangs but that was last year. Has much changed? I also see that they control some areas in Manhattan. Isn't thought one of the best places to live? How can you know when you move to an area if it is overrun by gangs. I see that when people ask where they should live names like jackson heights and the such come up. How bad is gangs in Queens and which areas do you want to avoid? I am black and my husband is white and I am wondering about better areas as a mixed couple. I was looking at somewhere in Queens but I would like more updated facts about gangs and the such. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 12:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
The only things I know about gangs are what I read online and in the news. As a resident of Jackson Heights, I do know that they exist -- and they exist in my neighborhood and surrounding ones--, but for me, this has no direct affect on my daily life. I feel the neighborhood is "safe" and I walk home from the subway at all hours with no fear.

In fact I would be significantly more concerned about moving into a neighborhood where there are tons of out of control teenageers mugging people for their ipods and cell phones (many parts of "gentrifying" Brooklyn, as far as I can tell, including parts of Clinton Hill, Bed Stuy, Prospect Heights, Crown Heights). Kids do not have to belong to gangs to be bad and commit crimes.

When I was looking at a place in Crown Heights, I spoke with the transit police nearby and they told me at night the block I was looking at was pretty safe but during the hours between 3 and 5 in the afternoon that I should pretty much avoid the whole area, including the subway station because there were 2 high schools nearby that had bad reputations and violence. When those schools let out, it is mayhem in that particular subway station. Not exactly something I would want to put up with. The police did not specifically mention "gangs" but I'm sure some kids were in gangs.

In other words, I would not concern myself with gangs but more with the larger concept of street crime.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:45 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Jackson Heights has a serious gang problem. Mostly latin gangs. Has an environment similar to LA (to a lesser extent) with alot of Mexicans and centra/south American gangs trying to wipe each other out. Off the top of my head I know of La Familia, ABK, and the Trinitarios. These get along well, but are always in conflict with the Latin Kings who are also there. However Latin Kings in the area are not as strong as they are in other places.

In Manhattan you have ALOT of gangs, especially Uptown. In Harlem's east and central sides you have alot of Bloods. On the west side you have DDP's and a couple of Crips. As you go to Washington Heights and Inwood the area is inundated with the Dominican gang Trinitario. There are also a DDP, Dominicans Dont Play (which is to be expected because of the large Dominican population). But the Trinitario presence is stronger. Finally a good amount of Crips reside in these Dominican neighborhoods.

Downtown you probably find gangs in the LES. Specifically around the projects. Mostly Latin Kings with some DDP's.

In the Bronx you basically have Bloods throughout. In the western neighborhoods you have Bloods, Trinitarios, Latin Kings (although older men) and DDP's. In the south Bronx (geographically) you have alot of Bloods and Latin Kings. Soundview in the south east is Basically Blood...with some Latin King and DDP sets. Parkchester and Fordham are DDP strongholds. The northeast Bronx has Bloods and some Crips. Crips are heavy in East Tremont.

Brooklyn is basically Blood and Crip. Neighborhoods like Bed-Stuy have lots of Bloods but neighborhoods like East Flatbush have lots of Crips....Brownsville is down the middle. East NY is mostly blood. Bushwick has alot of Latin Kings. Sunset Park has Trinitarios along with a few other gangs.

These are rough sketches.

Overall numbers in NYC i say: (with the last 3 not really far apart)

1. Bloods
2. Latin Kings
3. Crips
4. Trinitarios
5. DDP

Old 07-13-2008, 01:53 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,396 times
Don't listen to supermario. 7 out of 8 paragraphs have nothing to do with Queens anyway. Yes, gangs exist in JH, but like Henna said, unless you're in one, the chances are pretty high that it'll never affect your daily life.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:54 PM

171 posts, read 692,194 times
Default Scared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Jackson Heights has a serious gang problem. Mostly latin gangs. Has an environment similar to LA (to a lesser extent) with alot of Mexicans and centra/south American gangs trying to wipe each other out. Off the top of my head I know of La Familia, ABK, and the Trinitarios. These get along well, but are always in conflict with the Latin Kings who are also there. However Latin Kings in the area are not as strong as they are in other places.

In Manhattan you have ALOT of gangs, especially Uptown. In Harlem's east and central sides you have alot of Bloods. On the west side you have DDP's and a couple of Crips. As you go to Washington Heights and Inwood the area is inundated with the Dominican gang Trinitario. There are also a DDP, Dominicans Dont Play (which is to be expected because of the large Dominican population). But the Trinitario presence is stronger. Finally a good amount of Crips reside in these Dominican neighborhoods.

Downtown you probably find gangs in the LES. Specifically around the projects. Mostly Latin Kings with some DDP's.

In the Bronx you basically have Bloods throughout. In the western neighborhoods you have Bloods, Trinitarios, Latin Kings (although older men) and DDP's. In the south Bronx (geographically) you have alot of Bloods and Latin Kings. Soundview in the south east is Basically Blood...with some Latin King and DDP sets. Parkchester and Fordham are DDP strongholds. The northeast Bronx has Bloods and some Crips. Crips are heavy in East Tremont.

Brooklyn is basically Blood and Crip. Neighborhoods like Bed-Stuy have lots of Bloods but neighborhoods like East Flatbush have lots of Crips....Brownsville is down the middle. East NY is mostly blood. Bushwick has alot of Latin Kings. Sunset Park has Trinitarios along with a few other gangs.

1. Bloods
2. Latin Kings
3. Crips
4. Trinitarios
5. DDP
That makes it seem like all areas are full of gangs. With all this going on what would be the best place to raise children? Is gangs such a problem that people get shot or hurt all the time? Do you worry about it and like I said what then are the best areas to raise your children? It seems like I should be wondering which gang would I feel safer around? There does not seem to be a very large gang population though or is there?

Old 07-13-2008, 01:57 PM

yeah, all of nyc-- every borough-- is completely over-run with gangs. We're seriously running for cover every day no matter where we live. We don't go outside except for extreme emergencies.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha43055 View Post
That makes it seem like all areas are full of gangs. With all this going on what would be the best place to raise children? Is gangs such a problem that people get shot or hurt all the time? Do you worry about it and like I said what then are the best areas to raise your children? It seems like I should be wondering which gang would I feel safer around? There does not seem to be a very large gang population though or is there?
I think you should focus on what neighborhoods have public schools with good reputations. Those neighborhoods are generally going to be the ones best for raising kids.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:05 PM

943 posts, read 4,257,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

1. Bloods
2. Latin Kings
3. Crips
4. Trinitarios
5. DDP
Wow SM you really would rank LK #2. I don't live in NYC anymore (visit every month though) and I heavily disagree. I think you are underestimating the presence of crips (very heavy in Queens, BK, and East Harlem) and highly overestimating LK presence (their presence is felt more in Connecticut these days), but I don't live there anymore so I'm not really arguing, but I would rank them this way. Three way tie for third, but Trini and DDP on upswing, while LK continues on downswing in the future.

1)Bloods
2)Crips
3)Trini
3)Latin King
3)DDP

Old 07-13-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha43055 View Post
NYC has a large amount of gang members. Although not to the extent of LA or Chicago. NYC is more focused on making money, so NYC is run by drug crews.

This is not Compton. You wont get caught in daily warfare and drive-by's. Alot of the gangs now are at peace. The rivalries right now are, Latin Kings VS Trinitario (This is a dangerous one)....Latin Kings VS ABK......Latin King VS La Familia.........Trinitarios VS DDP (This is where most of the gang deaths come by).....Bloods VS Crips (Historically the worst) ........

Trinitario VS Latin Kings and DDP VS Trinitario rivalries have caused the bulk of gang violence and deaths over the past few years. Overall for a decade its been Bloods VS Crips. They have mellowed out however.

Jackson Heights is not a bad neighborhood. Sure it has a couple of gangs but most places have gangs. Aslong as you're not involved. They dont really come after you unless you're in a gang.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Wow SM you really would rank LK #2. I don't live in NYC anymore (visit every month though) and I heavily disagree. I think you are underestimating the presence of crips (very heavy in Queens, BK, and East Harlem) and highly overestimating LK presence (their presence is felt more in Connecticut these days), but I don't live there anymore so I'm not really arguing, but I would rank them this way. Three way tie for third, but Trini and DDP on upswing, while LK continues on downswing in the future.

1)Bloods
2)Crips
3)Trini
3)Latin King
3)DDP
Well the Latin King count is suspect. You're right. Back in the early 90's they were the most dominating force. But have since declined in numbers thanks to agressive police tactics and the formation of other Latin gangs like DDP, Trinitario, ABK and La Familia. But you have to realize that alot of Latin Kings are older men that dont flag anymore. I was talking to a former Latin King member and he told me that in my neigborhood, University Heights, that there are alot of Kings. I questioned this because all I see are Bloods and Trinitarios. But he has a point. Some of the are on the low. There are not many Crips in the Bronx, so I barely see them....maybe thats why Im underestimating them. But I just feel that there are alot of Kings around....even though you may not see them.

But I wont argue with your list. I agree that Trinitarios are spreading like wildfire. My neighborhood has a large presence of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City