Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times

Advertisements

Can NYC police issue traffic violations outside city limits? I didnt think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 09:28 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Can NYC police issue traffic violations outside city limits? I didnt think so.
I don't know, but they can probably claim that it was within city limits if it's along that stretch of roadway. I also read on the Long Island board someone said he got a ticket from a Village of Lake Grove police officer at an intersection that is most definitely not in Lake Grove (whether or not that poster was accurate or not, I don't know).

Keep in mind there is also the possibility of a Nassau County or Village of Floral Park officer giving a ticket on the road in question.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,172 times
The right turn on red is definitely a NYC liberal money scam because they cant pay their bills on their own (obvious from all the disgusting trash that is everywhere!). If it was about safety, then it would be posted on all the red lights like the rest of the country posts it. This is about scamming tourists out of $278. Signs are cheap so don't tell me it costs too much to put them up.

Posted signs as you enter city??? Finding and reading a small sign with the many many signs on the highways, as you are trying to navigate those awful traffic jammed roads entering the city and not get in an accident is a joke. And who actual goes on the web for hours for each city they are going to be in to try and read all the laws to try and find the little weird unique laws they have.

I definitely wont be back and neither will my tourist money so the city gets $300 but loses a few thousand on each future visit as well as the rest of my stay as I canceled out of the rest of my hotel stay and took the family elsewhere.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:07 AM

129 posts, read 78,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemjes View Post
The right turn on red is definitely a NYC liberal money scam because they cant pay their bills on their own (obvious from all the disgusting trash that is everywhere!). If it was about safety, then it would be posted on all the red lights like the rest of the country posts it. This is about scamming tourists out of $278. Signs are cheap so don't tell me it costs too much to put them up.

Posted signs as you enter city??? Finding and reading a small sign with the many many signs on the highways, as you are trying to navigate those awful traffic jammed roads entering the city and not get in an accident is a joke. And who actual goes on the web for hours for each city they are going to be in to try and read all the laws to try and find the little weird unique laws they have.

I definitely wont be back and neither will my tourist money so the city gets $300 but loses a few thousand on each future visit as well as the rest of my stay as I canceled out of the rest of my hotel stay and took the family elsewhere.
if you don't plan on coming back, dont pay it lol

Old 06-15-2019, 02:23 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushewick View Post
if you don't plan on coming back, dont pay it lol
most states reciprocate and will suspend your licence .this is real bad advice. only 5 states do not reciprocate . The five states that do not share driving records include:
Georgia.
Massachusetts.
Michigan.
Tennessee.
Wisconsin.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,172 times
Quote:

And I'm not only telling others of this scam so it works less, but recommending family people don't go to that trash hole and a place that the city looks to scam tourists. Nothing there for a family outside of an M+M store. City is just so filthy. I was with my kids and got approached at Times Square to buy pot. And, laugh all you want, but for every person that posts, there are probably 20,000 that don't text but feel the same way. You are just hurting the business owners and lowering the tax dollars they give you.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:32 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
And I'm not only telling others of this scam so it works less, but recommending family people don't go to that trash hole and a place that the city looks to scam tourists. Nothing there for a family outside of an M+M store. City is just so filthy. I was with my kids and got approached at Times Square to buy pot. And, laugh all you want, but for every person that posts, there are probably 20,000 that don't text but feel the same way. You are just hurting the business owners and lowering the tax dollars they give you.
If you choose to go to the hokiest, most commercialized area of a world-class city, you shouldn't be shocked when you are treated like a naive tourist.

Which of course, has nothing to do with obeying traffic laws when traveling.

If an M&M store is all you could find in the City of New York to be of interest to your family, it's not the city that's the problem.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-17-2019 at 07:11 AM..

Old 06-16-2019, 11:39 PM

478 posts, read 773,210 times
What's an M&M store? Like the candy? Just a storeful of M&M candies?
Hey Zeus, I really am one lucky sumunagun for living in this town!

Old 06-17-2019, 03:10 AM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most states reciprocate and will suspend your licence .this is real bad advice. only 5 states do not reciprocate . The five states that do not share driving records include:
Georgia.
Massachusetts.
Michigan.
Tennessee.
Wisconsin.
That's true that you have to pay them or your license will be suspended in NY but out of state tickets don't go on your driving record except for ones in two Canadian provinces.

Quote:
The New York State DMV does not record out-of-state convictions of moving traffic violations of New York State non-commercial licensed drivers, except for traffic offenses committed in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec in Canada.
https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets-received-another-state

Old 06-17-2019, 03:47 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
as long as you pay them that is fine . however because of the driver compact agreement an insurer can search other data bases then dmv in ny or your home state if not ny and still see your conviction ... insurers do not surcharge you based on dmv points .they have their own system of points based on convictions anywhere , so if they see the conviction your insurance can be effected.. if they only search dmv you would be fine , but if they also search the compact agreement data base then it will be seen .

so it is only partially correct that you may get away with it because ny won't record it , but unfortunately other data bases do .
-----------------------------------------------
Driver’s License Compact
New York, as well as most states, signed the Driver’s License Compact. This is an agreement between all signed members that driver information will freely be accessible by all member states.

Handling Out-of-State Tickets
According to the New York State DMV, “The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario.” In other words, if you received a ticket in another state, points will not be placed on your New York license. However, that driver will still have to pay the relevant fines and state surcharges (if applicable), and his insurance rates can increase if his insurance company were to find out through the compact agreement data base.

Finally, the state in which he was convicted could suspend or revoke his right to drive in that state despite the fact that they have no jurisdiction over his NY license.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-17-2019 at 04:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City