Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
There are a few apps you can download onto your phone that will give you the whole subway system map. Very handy to have when you're on the subway.
Cool, even on an android?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Cool, even on an android?
Yes. This is a good one.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ubwaymap&hl=en

Old 05-06-2013, 12:02 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Highline & the cloisters

Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Highline & the cloisters
Oh yeah, I'm amazed by pics of the Highline and the season of Spring seems like the best time to visit. I can recall The Cloisters being in Uptown but I forgot what they are.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Alright! Thanks Henna!

Old 05-06-2013, 07:59 PM

If I do Uptown, I would LOVE to check out the AMNH! I imagine that it's even bigger than the AMNH on the National Mall. Is admission free?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:32 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,834 times
the amnh and the met have 'suggested' admission at 20-25 dollars, which is insane. you can just walk right in and not pay, or pay a few dollars. some entrances don't have places to pay! i would recommend going to park slope, brooklyn, a great neighborhood with many restaurants, right outside prospect park (brooklyn's central park).

Old 05-06-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
the amnh and the met have 'suggested' admission at 20-25 dollars, which is insane. you can just walk right in and not pay, or pay a few dollars. some entrances don't have places to pay! i would recommend going to park slope, brooklyn, a great neighborhood with many restaurants, right outside prospect park (brooklyn's central park).
-_- Heesh...I mean we have more than enough but damn! That's a bit much for a museum. Hopefully we could just walk right in without pay lol. I truly would love to visit Brooklyn again, and definitely Park Slope! The neighborhood based on Google Map and various pictures looks really nice and the brownstones look really cute along with the lush landscaping. It looks very family-friendly and full of life. Which of the train lines go into PS from Midtown (Specifically Penn Station) the quickest? And what's the admission to the Brooklyn Museum and the Brooklyn Botanical Garden? Prospect Park seems pretty interesting.

If there's plenty of time left to spare, we probably could do Brooklyn again when we arrive! :crossing fingers:

If not, hmm...Brooklyn or Uptown?

Last edited by tcave360; 05-06-2013 at 09:26 PM..

Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
The Cloisters is in Inwood, Fort Tryon Park, and is The Met's Medieval European museum. It's not close to anything else touristy, so you may not want to venture that far north, especially with a short day trip in mind. It would be easiest to access The Cloisters via cab because vehicles use the Henry Hudson Parkway, and can get to The Cloisters in about 20 minutes with little traffic. The subway is going to take much longer because you would have to walk from the A-train station to the museum, or take the bus one or two stops for a shorter walk.

Like The Met, The Cloisters has a suggested $25 donation, but you do not have to pay that amount, though you do have to pay at least a penny, per the agreement with the city of 1970. The collections are not publicly owned, but the buildings are in city owned parks, so it's a public-private mix, hence the suggested donation, free if you are a member.

If you are on the UWS, it can take a while to get to Park Slope, so it might not be advised to make the trek, and then back to Penn in short order? You'd see much of the transit system, but perhaps not as much of the city. If you have not been to Central Park, Spring is a great time of year, and you have museums, restaurants, shops, etc. nearby, in addition to the attractions in the park itself. I would second the advice to pick one area and explore a bit more in-depth as opposed to running yourself ragged all over the city. Six or seven hours may seem like a lot of time, but if you are waiting on transit connections and walking, it's very easy to lose time.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The Cloisters is in Inwood, Fort Tryon Park, and is The Met's Medieval European museum. It's not close to anything else touristy, so you may not want to venture that far north, especially with a short day trip in mind. It would be easiest to access The Cloisters via cab because vehicles use the Henry Hudson Parkway, and can get to The Cloisters in about 20 minutes with little traffic. The subway is going to take much longer because you would have to walk from the A-train station to the museum, or take the bus one or two stops for a shorter walk.

Like The Met, The Cloisters has a suggested $25 donation, but you do not have to pay that amount, though you do have to pay at least a penny, per the agreement with the city of 1970. The collections are not publicly owned, but the buildings are in city owned parks, so it's a public-private mix, hence the suggested donation, free if you are a member.

If you are on the UWS, it can take a while to get to Park Slope, so it might not be advised to make the trek, and then back to Penn in short order? You'd see much of the transit system, but perhaps not as much of the city. If you have not been to Central Park, Spring is a great time of year, and you have museums, restaurants, shops, etc. nearby, in addition to the attractions in the park itself. I would second the advice to pick one area and explore a bit more in-depth as opposed to running yourself ragged all over the city. Six or seven hours may seem like a lot of time, but if you are waiting on transit connections and walking, it's very easy to lose time.
Ah, so those are The Cloisters good to know. But since Inwood seem little up there, probably won't do it. As for the subway, yeah I did forgot to factor the potential waits along with which train lines go to certain spots during the weekends (Luckily, I downloaded the NYC Subway map app to my android). I probably might upgrade the departure time from Union Station and arrival time to Penn Station from 9 am to 10 pm. And the new tickets I got my eyes on are $205 for Northeast Regional and the selected train will depart from DC at 9:25am and arrive in the NYC at 12:47pm approximately, a pretty good head start. But we'll probably stick with UWS/Central Park/AMNH/Columbus Circle part of Uptown. Is it possible to visit the High Line within this timeframe? And if so, where does the elevated line begins on this side of Manhattan? Chelsea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City