Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,417,385 times

Advertisements

some people need to get around more lol.
maybe buy a car or something or at least
meet people from other hoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 04:11 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,587,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post

I do think it's sad how some people really don't take advantage of the city or visit other neighborhoods.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:28 PM

573 posts, read 1,463,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I do think it's sad how some people really don't take advantage of the city or visit other neighborhoods.
Unfortunately this what you get when you build a country based on "communities" that don't really interact and get along with each other. If you look at it, pretty much every borough (and even some neighborhoods) have their own commercial strip (Fulton/Piktin/Utica in Brooklyn, The Hub and Fordham Road in the Bronx, Times Square etc) so the result is unless you have relatives outside of your area or borough, you don't have too many reasons to visit other neighborhoods...

Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,417,385 times
It's the five families. You have
relatives in every borough.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,015,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Repped big time and if it were possible to rep you twice for the same post I would.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
I don't think Brooklyn residents really hate The Bronx, people probably just ignorant like myself
who thought The Bronx is just one big super ghetto with a nice Zoo, Yankee Stadium and a
Botanical Gardens, all other area in the borough is extremly dangerous and should be avoided
because it's over ran by hood people. I don't even know about nice areas like Riverdale, Pelham Bay,
Throgs Neck, Pelham Parkway and Woodlawn until I start learning about these areas from other
more knownledgeable members here.

When my family moved from Ridgewood Queens to Southern Brooklyn, I was worry and sadden
that we moved to Ghettolyn. Since I know the farther we go towards Bushwick Brooklyn, the
more dangerous the streets would be when I was growing up in Ridgewood. I figure that is the
case with all of Brooklyn.

Basically alot of people native or not, only know about the few neighborhoods where they live
and work. The image of the other smaller divided neighborhoods of the city is really unknown or
just from reading some news articles or TV news, and usually what's on the news? Shooting and
killing from the Bronx and Brooklyn. It doesn't matter those usually only happened in few of the
worse neighborhoods in the Bronx or Brooklyn. It's all the same to alot of people that it happened
in that borough, then that borough is all ghetto and not safe.
Fortunately, I've lived in 4 out of 5 boroughs, been to all 5 of them visiting friends and family or going out to clubs, and I've worked in three of them.

All the boroughs have good areas and bad areas.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:40 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,453,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Me personally I respect the borough of the Brooklyn but never really liked the borough because it just feels out of the way and in case of a national crisis like a disaster or a man made disaster in Brooklyn you are stuck cant go anywhere.
That's not fair though lol. The Bronx is the ONLY borough connected to the rest of America. Every other borough is an island OR on one (Brooklyn and Queens, on Long Island)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
"Hating on the Bronx" assumes that people in Brooklyn are thinking about the Bronx in the first place. It's not that Brooklynites think the Bronx is irrelevant or something, but I don't think it's something that even crosses most people's minds.
Precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Brooklyn has its fair share of ghetto areas. Many who say that Brooklyn is not ghetto are trying to bash the Bronx and make it seem like the one and only cradle of poverty and misery.
Agreed, though it's some areas people through around, that really weren't that bad to begin with. I think overall the Bronx has the worse reputation between the two a lot of people STILL few Brooklyn as if it's the 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Anyone who hasn't been to the Bronx should really at a minimum at least visit the Botanical Gardens, the Zoo, and Arthur Avenue...
We've ALL had those trips during elementary school! Lol I guess those visit didn't count I haven't been to the Zoo in a while though. Definitely will go this Summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandslap View Post
You've been to Brownsville, East New York? Parts of East Flatbush or Crown Heights?

Some of these areas "look" nice but are still dangerous at certain times and this includes Bushwick. Summer hasn't even arrived yet.
Granted Brooklyn is no saint but Dangerous and Bushwick shouldn't be in the same sentence. A lot of people still view Brooklyn as some type of hole but that's not the case at all. Especially with with going on in the borough. I'll give you, without a doubt, ENY and Brownsville. I'll even through in Canarsie and Flatbush (though I don't know too much about those areas now) But Crown Heights? Still dangerous?

I had a talk with this girl from the Bronx and she said she would NOT meet me in Downtown Brooklyn because it's dangerous down there. . .I laughed because Downtown is NOTHING like it used to be. But that old image she has of that area is still with her.

If I had to rank the boroughs (from best to least) my list would be:

Brooklyn

Manhattan
Queens
Bronx

Staten Island

The Bronx and Queens is interchangeable.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:24 AM

770 posts, read 1,132,645 times
It's really too bad when people generalize others and not look at individuals as individuals. Unfortunately, you will always run across the ignorant, and in this case, one from Flatbush or Williamsburg.

Brooklyn is a nice borough and is back on the way up.

Be proud to be from 'Da Bronx. It has a rich history.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post

I had a talk with this girl from the Bronx and she said she would NOT meet me in Downtown Brooklyn because it's dangerous down there. . .I laughed because Downtown is NOTHING like it used to be. But that old image she has of that area is still with her.

If I had to rank the boroughs (from best to least) my list would be:

Brooklyn

Manhattan
Queens
Bronx

Staten Island

The Bronx and Queens is interchangeable.
There are people who have little to no social lives outside of a crappy job and whoever lives in the house with them (if anyone). So anything out of their neighborhood is scary. If people could only see how stupid they SOUND.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:26 PM

13 posts, read 28,888 times
I was born and raised in Brooklyn and I have no hate for Bronx. Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City