Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
The MTA wastes no money and the system is run extremely well.
MTA couldn't run an icecream truck if its life depended on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:01 PM

255 posts, read 475,641 times
And yet they transport half of this cities population on a daily basis. I don't think incompetence could do that. You want incompetence, talk to the SEPTA and WMATA.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:27 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
The MTA wastes no money and the system is run extremely well. As compared to years past anyway. And MetroCard is a good system for now. Can you give me a good reason to why you think the MTA is incompetent in the way it runs its system?

do you work for the mta?

I have few friends who work for the mta who admit to me that mta waste a lot of money. Yes, there were a lot of cuts since the financial crisis.....but mta is a money pit. There was the debacle of having two set of MTA financials years ago.

To be frank, I don't know where to begin to discuss how mta waste money. Here are some random stuff

mta lirr waste money
Report finds LIRR crews waste time, money | Long Island Business News

MTA LIRR Announces $40 Million Facelift for Massapequa Station | MTA

$250,000 subway typo: MTA chucks maps because of error | PIX 11

Metrocard is the worst thing ever. As a daily commuter, I send back at least 2 metrocards a year...so that is close to 20% failure rate. Yes, I take great care of my cards in those plastic holder & never bend them. It appears the readers of the token booth is better than the readers for the riders outside. When the metrocards are sent back to MTA, they seeminly can see more information on the card. In many countries, they use RFID cards which was far superior....sorta similiar to our work ID cards which scans into the turnstile

Old 06-04-2013, 04:31 PM

255 posts, read 475,641 times
The crews wasting time is not the MTAs fault. It's the crews. They most likely have since either been disciplined or fired.

How is rehabilitating a station a waste of money? PEOPLE WANT THAT. If that's the case, the MTA shouldn't fix anything if fixing a station is "wasting money".

250,000 dollars is chump change. Practically nothing in the grand scheme of things. One subway car these days costs 1.3 million. One bus costs in the area of 700,000. Line rehabilitation are also multi-million dollar projects too. Not to mention payroll, fuel costs, utility costs, maintenance, the occasional accident. 250 grand is nothing.

MetroCard, again, is fine for now. Why? Because when the switch does happen, people will find something wrong with it and still complain. Possible saying the MetroCard system was better. Also, that would open the door to changing the fare system as a whole. MetroCards will fail from time to time. Mines tend to glitch sometimes and give me a few extra rides. But that's not the cards fault, it the fault of older fareboxes. Want to keep it longer? Keep it away from other magnetic items or things with magnetic strips in them. All that swiping does do damage to the cards too. This "worst thing ever" has been doing a great job since 1994 and even better after the MetroCard Gold in 1997.

P.S: You want info before it becomes available by normal means, visit NYCTransit Forums. I know things you wont find out for a few years.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
I'm a daily commuter and have never had an issue with a MetroCard. If you're suggesting switching to RFID right now, I would say *that* is a waste of money.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:39 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Taking the train this Saturday took forever. The M-Train didn't come for half an hour. Then, when I transferred on the L-Train it got stuck on Halsey, and then again on Wilson, both times for over forty-five minutes. On Broadway Junction there were like four consecutive Far Rockaway A's before the Lefferts Blvd A finally came

Also, not exactly MTA's problem, but on Broadway Junction, I saw some dude who was walking down the platform, then a police officer appeared on the other side, and the dude immediately ran and hid behind a column. Dafuq? Even if he was not hiding from the police officer, that just makes the whole thing even weirder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City