Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:27 AM

43 posts, read 79,991 times

Advertisements

I would run as an independent.

I would tax the Hell out of our bridges and the folks who commute into the city from Jersey, Westchester, and Eastern Long Island for work.

I want those hedge fund guys in Connecticut living in Manhattan, and I want the middle class from Hoboken, Weehawken, etc. to move into The Bronx and Queens.

We have to increase the tax base to make up for Bloomberg's spending. His spending may pay off down the road, but it's put us in a tight spot right now.

The number 1 complains about NYC I receive is, "cost of living is too high."

It seems like the only things that get built are luxury condos. Unless you qualify for public housing, you either have to be "wealthy" or live in Bushwick, a relatively high-crime area with a lack of great transportation.

It shouldn't be that way. It is extremely expensive to build in NYC because of the unions, and the residential units are very expensive because of high demand. There are areas I would "re-zone" in an attempt to incentivize more residential development, and I feel if somebody took on the unions, and rezoned NYC to accommodate more housing, like I said, we could actually enable the middle class to live in NYC.

I would also sell all NYCHA properties to private developers. (I feel this is inevitable) They are way too inefficient (They even have parking!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 01:39 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,523,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanrdinho View Post
I would run as an independent.

I would tax the Hell out of our bridges and the folks who commute into the city from Jersey, Westchester, and Eastern Long Island for work.
The bridges and tunnels connecting New York and New Jersey are controlled and operated by the Port Authority, who in turn answer to the governors of New York and New Jersey, not to the mayor of New York.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:59 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,420,892 times
not unless you can bring enough people together.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:28 PM

19,078 posts, read 14,029,030 times
Sell NYCHA, all of it? Hmm, you might have my vote even if you increase the bridge tolls.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
The bridges and tunnels connecting New York and New Jersey are controlled and operated by the Port Authority, who in turn answer to the governors of New York and New Jersey, not to the mayor of New York.
That needs to change. I don't know how we could do it, and I don't know if it's possible. Maybe Jersey could have half, we could have half, and the PA would disappear!

There should be tolls for those who enter the city from Westchester and Connecticut, at the very least. There's a lot of nuance to implementing something like that, I know, but we could figure it out.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:16 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,523,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanrdinho View Post
That needs to change. I don't know how we could do it, and I don't know if it's possible. Maybe Jersey could have half, we could have half, and the PA would disappear!
Definitely won't happen - the governors won't give up control. As it is, the Port Authority does not receive any tax dollars and generates all of its money itself.

It was created in the 20's to bypass conflicting interests that individuals on both sides of the Hudson would have, so they report directly to the governors of the two states. Each of the crossings affect both New York and New Jersey so it obviously isn't fair to give control over any one (or multiple) crossing to just one state.

And the Port runs much more than just bridges and tunnels. Six airports, a heliport or two, the PATH system, the largest shipping port on the East coast, the bus terminal, the World Trade Center, and an entire police force.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Definitely won't happen - the governors won't give up control. As it is, the Port Authority does not receive any tax dollars and generates all of its money itself.

It was created in the 20's to bypass conflicting interests that individuals on both sides of the Hudson would have, so they report directly to the governors of the two states. Each of the crossings affect both New York and New Jersey so it obviously isn't fair to give control over any one (or multiple) crossing to just one state.

And the Port runs much more than just bridges and tunnels. Six airports, a heliport or two, the PATH system, the largest shipping port on the East coast, the bus terminal, the World Trade Center, and an entire police force.

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-01-2013, 06:10 PM

25,398 posts, read 37,151,865 times
Quote:
I want the middle class from Hoboken, Weehawken, etc. to move into The Bronx
and Queens.
Quote:
The number 1 complains about NYC I receive is, "cost of living is too high."

So then when all those people from Hudson County move into the Bronx and Queens, competing for existing housing, that will lower the cost of living exactly how?

The way to lower the cost of living drastically would be for half of the people in New York City to drop dead tomorrow but I doubt that many would vote for a mayor running on the Death platform.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:16 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,908,269 times
As long as NYC is a world class city and a desirable place to live, cost of living will be high.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So then when all those people from Hudson County move into the Bronx and Queens, competing for existing housing, that will lower the cost of living exactly how?
They won't be competing for existing housing. The projects will all be demolished and sold to private developers. Plus, if we defeat the unions and rezone a good amount, the developers will be able to build taller towers with more units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City