Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:47 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInSI View Post
I guess it's all in how you look at it. For me, the ferry leg is the most enjoyable part of my commute and certainly the most convenient. I always get a seat, often outside. The views are great, the breeze coming in through the Verrazano Narrows obviates the need for AC, and I can enjoy a ferry beer in peace on my way home. The ferry runs on a set schedule so I rarely waste time in the waiting room -- I know exactly when to leave my house to be just in time for the boat.

It's the subway leg of my commute to Midtown that is not very convenient. It's crowded, noisy, stuffy and slow. It's often delayed and unpredictable. I rarely get a seat and there is nowhere to set my coffee...

I prefer to bike when weather permits, but alas this is not often enough. A fast ferry to midtown is just what I need. Dare to dream...
I just remember (now this was in the mid to late 90s) taking the boat to/from work....and in order to get a seat on my bus home (because I lived no where near the ferry), I would need to stand up about halfway through the ride and wait by the doors and then run thorough the terminal to (1) get a bus and (2) ensure I had seat. I guess if you live in St. George and can walk to the ferry, this isn't an issue. I much prefer the express bus..even though I don't like paying the $6 each way. When I took the ferry, I often felt harried and rushed and exhausted before my work day even started...and I worked downtown LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 09:00 AM

432 posts, read 551,319 times
Very up and coming is the major pro

Lacks access to major shopping hub, hopefully the new wheel and shopping complex mitigates that situation a bit. Parking is also limited if you have a car.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInSI View Post
checkmatechamp's information on the ferry is outdated. As of May 2014 weekend ferry service runs every 30 minutes till 2am. The City Council mandated the extra service, with increases to every 30 minutes 24/7 required to be in place by May 2015. There is a lot of chatter about private fast ferries to accompany the Wheel and other development projects, but those are a good 2 to 3 years off at least.

If you are commuting to the city, I strongly suggest living within walking distance of the ferry terminal since relying on buses can be a pain. If you plan to bike as many do, just be prepared for an uphill ride on the way home. If you like being close to restaurants and shops, I recommend living closer to the Tompkinsville side of St George (Victory Blvd).
There's loopholes in the bill, though. If they can release ridership numbers saying that the service doesn't need to be expanded, they don't have to do it (I think there's another loophole saying that if they can't get the required staff, they don't have to do it). I don't think there's enough ridership at 3AM to justify 30 minute service, but I guess anything is possible.'

In any case, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Make sure you can deal with the 30 minute headways (Keeping in mind that occasionally, boats are cancelled, turning those into 60 minute headways). Me personally, I think those frequencies suck, but if you can deal with it, go for it.

And yeah, that's a good point: People think "St. George" automatically means it's an easy walk to the ferry terminal. Much of the neighborhood is on a hill (basically, anything that's not along Richmond Terrace or Bay Street, or those apartment buildings on Bay Street Landing is going to be uphill).

The advantage of living near Victory Blvd is that there's frequent bus service going down the hill to reach the ferry (and going back, you have multiple routes to choose from) if you decide to use the bus.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:06 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
A number of respondents here kept mentioning "The Wheel", so I looked it up on Google to see what that was. It said:

The New York Wheel promises to become one of the City’s–and the world’s–great landmark attractions, alongside the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building. Located on the northeastern side of Staten Island (St. George), the 630-foot, or roughly 60-story, attraction will be the tallest observation wheel in the world and the only one in New York City. The Wheel will accommodate up to 1,440 people per ride, welcoming as many as 30,000 visitors per day and an anticipated 4+ million visitors per year.

I'll tell you what. I get a feeling that I would not be too inclined to sit or stand inside a 60-story-high ferris wheel/rotating observation deck. What if a mishap occurs? I would imagine there could be quite high winds and turbulent weather that could affect a closed car/cabin attached to a rotating ferris wheel that is 60 stories high. I would hate to plunge up to 60 stories down or to get stuck up so high in the sky if the wheel malfunctions. Even with those persons who don't normally have "fear of heights" when looking out a tall window in a skyscraper or from an airplane, they might feel differently when sitting or standing inside a small cabin or compartment attached to a revolving 60-story-high ferris wheel/rotating observation deck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: