Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM

196 posts, read 779,340 times

Advertisements

Working in Law Enforcement, you don't have the luxury of having holidays off. Maybe once in a while :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
I only get off on Thursday, July 4. The office is open on Friday, July 5, but I plan to take a vacation day (unless my workload doesn't allow it), and I suspect that most people will too.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,025 times
Half day 3rd, 4th, and 5th. We get the half day before all holidays off.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 AM

154 posts, read 259,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
Half day 3rd, 4th, and 5th. We get the half day before all holidays off.
Same here.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:26 PM

424 posts, read 973,573 times
4th and 5th off, 4 day weekend. Going upstate to Cold Spring all weekend, leaving via Metro North right after work on the 3rd. No fighting traffic for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Some of these responses are priceless... Then the other question is, how many people travel during the 4th vs staying here in the city? I always seem to get slammed with the traffic no matter what time I leave the office and I'm determined to have a short commute home this year.
But you do have a head start over the traffic being up in Riverdale, unless you're heading out to the East End of Long Island, why people put themselves through torture on the LIE which narrows down to a 2 lane road to compete with 1+ million other people to get out the Hamptons when there's so many other great getaway spots I don't understand...

Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
4th and 5th off, 4 day weekend. Going upstate to Cold Spring all weekend, leaving via Metro North right after work on the 3rd. No fighting traffic for me.

But you do have a head start over the traffic being up in Riverdale, unless you're heading out to the East End of Long Island, why people put themselves through torture on the LIE which narrows down to a 2 lane road to compete with 1+ million other people to get out the Hamptons when there's so many other great getaway spots I don't understand...
Not really... Traffic is a mess on the Major Deegan and the Harlem River Drive. I'm trying to figure out an arrangement to avoid the traffic. Maybe I can connect with Metro North. Might be a faster solution than sitting in traffic.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM

163 posts, read 484,605 times
I don't work Fridays for the Summer from end of June till mid August, but the July 4th weekend we won't work on that Thursday and work that Friday.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:49 PM

917 posts, read 2,004,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnery View Post
I don't work Fridays for the Summer from end of June till mid August, but the July 4th weekend we won't work on that Thursday and work that Friday.
You're sooo lucky. I would love to have friday's off.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:45 PM

19 posts, read 116,815 times
I'm only allowed that holiday day off which is the thursday and that's it no leaving early the day before or after I will admit that I'm worked like a slave I'm desperately trying to find another job but it's been so difficult so i will just have to suck it up and deal with their rules.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesia View Post
I'm only allowed that holiday day off which is the thursday and that's it no leaving early the day before or after I will admit that I'm worked like a slave I'm desperately trying to find another job but it's been so difficult so i will just have to suck it up and deal with their rules.
Despite the posts that seem to point to otherwise, many people only get the 4th off as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City