Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:44 PM

14 posts, read 82,863 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how difficult it would be to find work in NY without a visa. I'm Irish and I work in a government department at home but I would love to work for a few months in New York, maybe at the end of the year. Is bar/restaurant work easy to get without the proper documentation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 03:14 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,496,110 times
I really dont think is going to be easy...

Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,843 times
No, bars or any place for that matter won't be able to hire you without a Social Security #. There are many illegal immigrants that do under the table type work for cash, but it's probably not the most ideal working conditions, not to mention pay, in the world.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:41 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times
Yeah right, Irish immigrants work in Irish bars all the time, no matter what their visa status is. Construction is the other big field illegal that a lot of them go into.

I dont' know about giving up a government job though. Why would you want to do that? It probably pays pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
No, bars or any place for that matter won't be able to hire you without a Social Security #. There are many illegal immigrants that do under the table type work for cash, but it's probably not the most ideal working conditions, not to mention pay, in the world.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:46 AM

100 posts, read 374,662 times
If you got your visa, I'm sure things would be easier for you.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:48 AM

605 posts, read 2,381,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherbearof4 View Post
If you got your visa, I'm sure things would be easier for you.
Think the OP is operating on the basis that they cannot get a visa.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:09 AM

100 posts, read 374,662 times
I just think that seeking employment here would be much easier with a visa. People get treated differently when here legally.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:31 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherbearof4 View Post
I just think that seeking employment here would be much easier with a visa. People get treated differently when here legally.
Irish people won't be getting any visas anytime soon, so lets be realisitc. I think the whole country received a pittance of visas compared to the number of people who would like to immigrate to the USA.

Here are the stats:

IRISH VISA STATISTICS

In 2006, Ireland received 54 lottery visas, out of a global total of 50,000.
In 2006, Ireland received 1906 Green Cards
In 2005, Ireland received 76 lottery visas, out of a global total of 50,000.
In 2005, Ireland received 2,083 Green Cards

The Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform

The best bet is to come over here, get something setup, and then worry about the technicalities when that time comes.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 AM

468 posts, read 2,359,021 times
It will be hard. You will have to accept a crappy job, and because you don't have papers, employers will try to ********* over sometimes. I would recommend against it if you have a good job in Ireland.

That being said, a lot of Irish come to the Jersey Shore in the summer to work at boardwalk shops. I'm not sure what the documentation status is, but it seems like there is some sort of social networking going on there... you could look into that as it might be easier than trying to find work in the city.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:49 AM

14 posts, read 82,863 times
Thank you guys for all your help. I did realise that the visa thing was going to be a huge issue, but as Mead has pointed out, getting a visa ain't all that easy. (Believe me, I wish it was). And with regards to the government job I have here in Ireland, I wouldn't actually be giving it up...merely taking a career break. The job would still be waiting for me when I got home.

I'll seriously look into the Jersey Shore idea but I'd imagine the Irish that work there are probably on a J1 visa during their break from college.

Do you think that maybe an Irish owned bar in New York would be an easier place to try get a job? You know, I'm just thinking that maybe they might be a little more understanding of the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City