Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:44 PM

518 posts, read 825,666 times

Advertisements

I is always worth a shot to contest parking tickets. If you tell your story as above, just stopping there to check directions, leaving out any complaint or criticism about the police because it is not material and the judge doesn't want to hear it, there is a chance for a fine reduction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 06:29 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
YOU ARE NOT GUILTY OF STANDING YOUR VEHICLE in a No Standing zone, if you are actively engaged in discharging or receiving a passenger. Ergo, you did not violate the NO Standing law. Again, you can't violate the parking law against No Standing when you stop temporarily (2 minutes or less) to discharge or receive a passenger.
Perhaps the OP should have stated, "I just dropped off the ambassador from Uranus."

Old 07-15-2013, 06:36 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is what "no standing" means:

Parking Laws: Why you Must Know the Meaning of "No Standing"

As defined in Section 4-01 of Chapter 4 of Title 34 of the Rules of the City of New York, Standing is "(1) The stopping of a vehicle,(2) whether occupied or not, (3) otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in receiving or discharging passengers." Lets dissect this definition.
So what's the difference between no parking and no standing? One time I was in a no parking spot and the cop came to my window and told me if I didnt move I was gonna get a ticket. I told the cop, but I'm not parked here, I'm standing! I'm waiting for my sister to come out the store. The cop said, I'm not gonna tell you again. So I left. Smh.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
The only difference between no parking and no standing is that in no parking you are allowed to stop to load or unload a package at the curbside. At a no standing spot, you are not allowed to do that. However, in both no parking and no standing, you are allowed to drop off or pick up a passenger, but "no waiting"!

here's a pdf that explains it.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/download...p-calendar.pdf

Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 PM

513 posts, read 837,396 times
:d
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
perhaps the op should have stated, "i just dropped off the ambassador from uranus."
Ha!

Old 07-15-2013, 07:42 PM

289 posts, read 399,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyc123 View Post
Hello all, I wanted to know if I had a case here for dispute. I was parked in a diplomat spot, engine on and everything because I needed to look up directions quickly, I knew I couldn't park here but isn't want to get a ticket from double parking (oh the irony). Anyways, a police car pulls up, asks me if I'm a diplomat, and proceeds to say I'm getting a ticket after I said no. When I was trying to explain to them (him and his partner), they both ignored me, spoke to each other in Spanish and kept laughing. They started scanning my registration before they even asked me anything? After all that ignoring, they don't bother handing me the ticket, just stick it on my windshield after I've been waving at them trying to explain. Please help, $95 ticket for this is just silly.

PS: this is around 58th st in NYC, hence why I had to stop here if I wanted to look anything up.
I'm sorry I know times are hard. Option #1- Go to court plead not guilty, tell the truth and ask for a reduction. There will be a reduction.Option #2- plead not guilty on the computer and you will get an automatic reduction.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 24,678 times
Thank you all for ur input, I received an email with a verdict and.....I'm not guilty. Ticket dismissed Phew!

Old 07-31-2013, 06:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Some people seem to confuse NO STANDING with NO PARKING.
If it says NO STANDING, you cannot have your car there even if your engine is running and you have both hands on your steering wheel.

But if it said Diplomat Parking, then I presume the judge determined you were only "standing."

I guess most cops don't have the mental wherewithal to make the distinction...see, they have a gun.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:51 AM

62 posts, read 213,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If it says NO STANDING, you cannot have your car there even if your engine is running and you have both hands on your steering wheel.
Yes, you can: if you are picking up or dropping off a passenger.

Quote:
I guess most cops don't have the mental wherewithal to make the distinction...see, they have a gun.
From the OP's description it sounds like he was in a No Standing zone, and the cops were correct (from a legal standpoint) to ticket him. Got lucky with the Not Guilty.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:

From the OP's description it sounds like he was in a No Standing zone
I doubt there are any signs that say "NO STANDING EXCEPT FOR DIPLOMATS" or "DIPLOMAT STANDING ONLY."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City