Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 09:29 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Those two jobs take a bit more education than learning how to say Fries with That Sir?

One day McDs will simply replace those workers with a couple of store greeters and let machines dispense the food...just like the MTA did with token booth clerks.
Those jobs don't always require formal training. My undereducated dolt of a son has worked as a tech and now works in an auto shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 10:05 PM

916 posts, read 2,247,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Those jobs don't always require formal training. My undereducated dolt of a son has worked as a tech and now works in an auto shop.
Undereducated ǂ Unskilled. In your son's case, you should give your son some credit that he learned a
marketable skill his boss find valuable. It sounds cruel, but if there are millions of people out there who
can do your job without much difficulty in a short time, don't expect to get paid much because there are
always someone else they can hire to take your place. If you want to get paid more, work hard to learn
a marketable skill or get an education, that's how life works, and that's market economy.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:39 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Minimum Wage Hike and Big Macs Prices | ABC News - Yahoo!

Interesting, now they are going over the effects of raising the salary at McDonalds. New York started a TREND with these strikes against fast food places.

Nope. No fast food strikes anywhere here in Alaska. But then again we don't have as many idiots living here as they have in New York. The only trend they are starting is a stupidity trend.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
What is that?
It's what's for dinner. Bon Apetit!

Pink slime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-01-2013, 11:46 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Undereducated ǂ Unskilled. In your son's case, you should give your son some credit that he learned a
marketable skill his boss find valuable. It sounds cruel, but if there are millions of people out there who
can do your job without much difficulty in a short time, don't expect to get paid much because there are
always someone else they can hire to take your place. If you want to get paid more, work hard to learn
a marketable skill or get an education, that's how life works, and that's market economy.
I give him a lot of credit. He's very bright. The auto shop likes him because he fixes their high pressure car wash equipment and their computer.

He and I went to an upscale pub, restaurant last week and I ordered the chicken salad sandwich with no bread. I did that. It hit the table with a mound of chicken salad on a bed of anemic chopped iceberg, no garnish. His seared Ahi plate was a thing of beauty. His comments about the presentation of the chicken salad were hysterical. He did, ultimately, make me realize that the kitchen staff was not capable of improvisation.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 AM

589 posts, read 1,221,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
The uneducated dolts that work at McDonalds would be on welfare anyway. McDonalds is simply putting a few bucks into their pockets .

When are you lib fools on here going to realize every job is not equal and not deserving of anything more than a few bucks an hour.
If the majority population had your mindset you would not be able to leave your home safely. You should be careful for what you wish for.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:18 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
No, that's not how the market economy works. If everyone got a bachelors degree, you'd have plenty of people with bachelors degrees working in the retail sector. To the extent an education helps, it ONLY helps because only 25% of American adults get a bachelors, and far fewer get advanced degrees. So the pool of talented people is pretty small, and they can therefore more easily charge higher wages for their services.

Most people are working class, and that will always be the case. So in essence, if they want more money, they'll have to do with the retail/fast food organizers are doing. They'll have to fight their employers for it.

Btw, you should be aware that an education costs money, something that a retail worker probably has in short supply.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 08-02-2013 at 12:34 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Microsoft lost 32 billion dollars in one day. So far Microsoft has lost the Gen Y generation which apple and google profits off of. Microsoft is only doing well in the living room and in the enterprise cloud market. I love Windows 8 but its taking too damn long for this product to reach critical mass. I cant wait in the next 5 months though, millions of computers which still run windows xp will shut down for good, hopefully forcing people to buy a new windows PC or tablet.

Have you ever been to Mcdonalds off of 8th street in the E village around 2 am? I have and I do see the hipster yuppie transplant vegan eat at these places because they are either drunk or high on cocaine, weed, codine or ecstasy. I have yet to see a fish taco stand, starbucks, or Cupcakes and Cronut trucks open after 12am, If so these yupsters will form a line that stretched from E Village, past Williamsburg to Timbuktu.

I highly doubt this!

This is true, very true, I have not seen the super rich shop there.
Asian computer vendors selling tablet, smartphones, and now laptops running either Google Android or Google ChromeOS are the fastest growing parts of the marketplace. Google offers GoogleDrive, which does word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation graphics online to consumers and non profits for free. Their corporate version is $50 per user and has steadily been gaining marketshare. That's why Microsoft is losing stock, competition from the Asian vendors teaming up with Google. Lenovo is now the world's biggest seller of PCs (Lenovo's is the world's 4th biggest vendor of smartphones), and Samsung is the number one smartphone vendor.

So the significance of this is the US computer industry is likely to shrink even further. Dell is doing so poorly they are going private, and in April, IBM, after seeing poor results in their server division, was in discussions to sell to Lenovo.

As for their being issues in the law field, yes, that's under attack too. There are proposals for the federal government to seriously cut back student loans to law schools and graduate programs that are not giving a good return on the federal government's investment. That's basically saying too many people were going to grad school and law school, and the government is cutting back its support, since its not doing the government, the society, or the students any good.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 08-02-2013 at 12:35 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
If wages were too low then FF joints wouldn't be able to staff their restaurants. As it turns out, they get dozens of applications every day at that wage. The fact is that these are no skill positions (can you move your hands and move around, and do you understand english? - you're hired!). People shouldn't be trying to live off these jobs, they are meant to be for students or for adults as a stepping stone to better jobs. If you're still taking orders at Burger King after 8 years, there's something wrong with you. Pick up a book or something, gain some skills, open a side business, do something instead of complain that you don't get paid enough to flip burgers all day
What college students would work at McDonalds or Burger King?

When you're a college student, particularly if you're at any worthwhile university, you can get internships (even some of them are paid) at big companies where you actually LEARN things.

My internship at Disney later on helped me get other corporate jobs. There would have been NO WAY Burger King on my resume would have done anything.

The people who work at Burger King or McDonalds are not going up at all. If they leave fast food, its just to other retail jobs.

A lot of people also don't realize that being a student is a full time job, and if you are serious about graduating, you only do summer internships and/or part time campus jobs.

Working in Taco Bell, or other retail jobs, you will tend to have huge scheduling conflicts with your classes . At the end of the day, NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOU GOING BACK TO SCHOOL!!! Least of all your employer. Can't make the hours your boss wants you there for? You are so fired! Fired? How do you pay your rent, and eat, much less take classes!

Its why schools like CUNY have low graduate rates, because they enroll many working class people who drop out. Major private universities, like the ivies, have high graduation rates because either the students don't work, or they restrict work to summer internships and/or certain jobs on campus that look good on their resumes.

And btw, at minimum wage jobs you barely make enough money to get to work, without having welfare subsidies. How is this supposed to pay for college? Especially when there have been cutbacks in education and rising tuition costs! I know people like to hate on and blame the poor, but serious. How do you expect a person earning very little money to be able to afford possibly tens of thousands of dollars in education costs, particularly when certain types of financial aid have been cut?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 AM

559 posts, read 1,111,865 times
Higher wages will lead to higher operating costs and higher prices for fast food products and, thus, lower demand. Hence, Americans' health will improve because they'll eat less junk. Also, the higher wage and lower demand will lead to layoffs of fast-food workers. With no income, those laid-off people and their families will not be able to buy junk food.

This is a wonderful development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: